PDA

View Full Version : superfeet

Josh Calhoun
07-30-2012, 21:12
those of you who have used them. do you love them or hate them. worth there money?

Wise Old Owl
07-30-2012, 21:16
Earlier I posted to some twenty five threads on Superfeet, but after twentyfour hours the link evaporates.

Yes I use them - I think they are great. - mine are Blue and prevent nails from messing up the trail runners.

leaftye
07-30-2012, 21:19
I used to use them, then stopped because I didn't want the expense. My feet haven't suffered for it, and I'm saving money.

johnnybgood
07-30-2012, 21:29
Go Green, I did and like them. Having a high arch I find the green superfeet help support my feet.

DavidNH
07-30-2012, 22:18
I tried them once. My feet hurt like hell. i hate them with a passion. Never again.

For insoles.. look for Spenco or shockblockers!

Deacon
07-31-2012, 04:18
I tried them once. My feet hurt like hell. i hate them with a passion. Never again.

"Sole" Ultra DK are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Murphy
07-31-2012, 09:50
I developed plantar fasciitis. Rest, stretching, and the BLUE superfeet relieved the symptoms.

I have them in all of my shoes. Never going back.

Old Hiker
07-31-2012, 10:04
After having to take 3 weeks off this summer for soft tissue injuries to my right foot, when I got back to the Trail in Damascus, I went into the Mt. Rogers Outfitters and asked about insoles. I'd been told several times to get the green Super-feet, Uncle Johnny and Ms. Janet to name a few. I didn't want to at Erwin due to cost.

At Damascus, I did so. I felt them BEFORE I put them into my boots and asked if they were insoles, as they were almost as stiff as boards. I was told about the insert cradling your feet instead of just cushioning them. I put them in and it was like I was walking on pillows. They will be in all my boots for now. I had NO problems for the 1.5 days they were in. My feet were great at the end of the day.

They will NOT help in the event of mud puddles with the accompanied severely sprained ankle and cracked tibia, however. :eek: Probably a manufacturer's defect or something. :-?

10-K
07-31-2012, 10:27
Love 'em..

In fact, I've got a pair in my pack for my Long Trail hike this week. I'll put 100 or so miles on the insoles on my new trail runners then pop in the Superfeet.. The factory insoles are usually good for 200 miles with a pack anyway.

Ktaadn
07-31-2012, 10:29
I have the green ones and love them. When the soles in my shoes wore out, I started getting some pain in my feet. Using the superfeet has made them feel like brand new shoes again. You should follow the instructions from superfeet regarding "break-in" time. It's not the insoles that are breaking in, but actually your feet getting used to walking on them.

The thing that I can't figure out is that I also love wearing minimalist shoes which seem to be based on the completely opposite idea of wearing superfeet in a heavier shoe. I think I will stick with the minimalist shoes for walking around town and the superfeet for hiking with a pack on. The total weight on my feet seems to require more support when wearing a pack.

Slo-go'en
07-31-2012, 10:59
My current boots fit great at the store with factory insoles, but are too tight with superfeet insoles (or any other kind). My feet suffered due to this and was one factor in coming home early from the CDT. I kept hoping they would get better, but they never did.

So, from now on I'm bringing a pair of insoles with me to the store to try in the boots before I buy them to make sure everything fits good and proper. At the moment, I'm back to the original factory insoles, which aren't great but will do for now.

Driver8
07-31-2012, 11:00
I've never tried them, but lucked out and won a pair for free in a drawing at Mt. Washington Obs's Seek the Peak 10 days ago. I had heard at the local REI that the orange ones would fit my foot profile, so that what I ordered - they're on the way. Looking forward to giving them a while - about time, since I've worn out my old Lynco inserts, which I've liked a lot.

Driver8
07-31-2012, 11:02
My current boots fit great at the store with factory insoles, but are too tight with superfeet insoles (or any other kind). My feet suffered due to this and was one factor in coming home early from the CDT. I kept hoping they would get better, but they never did.

So, from now on I'm bringing a pair of insoles with me to the store to try in the boots before I buy them to make sure everything fits good and proper. At the moment, I'm back to the original factory insoles, which aren't great but will do for now.

I'm hoping I won't have similar problems with mine and will, for sure, take them with me for try-ons of new shoes.

max patch
07-31-2012, 12:33
My doctor recommended them when I had PF and I've continued to wear them (green) in my trail runners for 10 years.

Del Q
07-31-2012, 17:42
Really like them, good gear.........there is a "honeymoon" period, definitely break them in.

ISSUE: New shoes for Fall hikes, Solomon.............for some reason the Superfeet feel great in Vasque's but NOT in these solomon's. Not sure why.

Bucho
07-31-2012, 23:48
"Sole" Ultra DK are the best.

+1 for Sole.

I did the AT with factory insoles last year. My shoe size went from 10-1/2 to 12 and I now have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Regardless of whether it's Sole or superfeet I recommend getting something.

Josh Calhoun
08-01-2012, 08:10
i picked up a pair of Blur SF yesterday at REI. i will try them on a section in franklin NC this weekend. i will wear them a few hrs a day until this weekend and maybe that will help me get adjusted. they feel great so far. i am very flat footed and that leads to allot of pain after a long day. i hope they help and if they dont i can always take it back to REI. great bieng a member

Driver8
08-01-2012, 09:21
Good luck with them, Josh. Hope they work out well for you and me both.

Praha4
08-01-2012, 10:15
I use Superfeet in all my shoes, hiking and non-hiking. I've had many problems with plantar fascitis and achilles tendonitis over the years, now I've had no problems since using them. My podiatrist also recommends them. The greens are best in many hiking shoes, but I prefer the blues in trail runners, because the blues are not quite as thick in the heel support...to avoid rubbing my top of my heel against the back of the shoe. I've also used the orange in hiking boots, they have just a bit more cushioning.

garlic08
08-01-2012, 21:49
I think they're OK, probably just barely worth the money for me. I think they provide a little extra support on rocks. But I don't notice it that much when I don't use them. They last a long time--I get about 2,500 miles out of a pair. Desert hiking really wears them out.

yellowsirocco
08-01-2012, 22:17
Just get them at REI and if you don't like them you can return them. I use ORANGE, not the green that most shops carry. I am a big guy so I wear them out after about 700 miles or so and swap them for new ones at REI.

Lyle
08-02-2012, 07:25
Yes I use them, they offer great support, better than any of the manufacturers insoles.

Unfortunately, they discontinued the best of the lot, the old-style orange. These had a metatarsal "bump" that really helped solve the numb toe syndrome. They replaced them with the current orange version with a fully padded toe. These cause too-tight of fit. I've now had to settle for the green, in order to get less padding, but still great arch support. If you have flatter arches, blue may be better.

Many folks find they need to start using them gradually, just a couple hours a day initially and gradually increase, to avoid the sore feet - I haven't had that problem.

bamboo bob
08-02-2012, 07:30
I always use superfeet. The green ones. many people get them after they have developed problems. That is not the point. New shoes, replace inserts with superfeet immediately. After pain is too late.

fredmugs
08-02-2012, 08:32

+1 on Shockblockers. Superfeet do nothing for me.

Josh Calhoun
08-06-2012, 11:56
i used them on a 30 mile hike this past weekend and it seems i always have problems with only my right foot. it seems to swell more and i got a blister on the back of my heel. i guess the small lip on the back of the superfeet caused this. should i trim it down?

max patch
08-06-2012, 12:37
I'd check and make sure you cut the superfeet down to the correct size; there is supposed to be a slight gap. Instructions are online if you have thrown the packaging away. I've never had a blister from superfeet.

Tinker
08-06-2012, 23:11
I used them, and others, for years (since the mid- - 1980s). I've had recent knee problems and was wondering if it was due to worn out shoes and/or orthotics lifting my longitudinal arches and putting my knees out of alignment (any little thing, year after year, can cause problems if it isn't near perfect).

I haven't worn orthotics for a month, have switched from wearing trail runners at work (I work standing up 8 hrs. a day) to wearing sandals (Teva water sport sandals, but it probably doesn't matter - the point is that they don't have a pronounced arch support). I haven't had any foot problems and my knee seems to be better (though I'm having it looked at tomorrow, because it seems to have gotten progressively worse over the past two years).
I'm beginning to think that the human body may need help from time to time, but it will probably take care of itself if we don't insist on fixing what isn't broken. ;)

Sarcasm the elf
08-06-2012, 23:21
I love the green superfeet I use in my trail runners. One thing that people don't mention a lot is that in addition to working well as an insole, the rigid design helps take the bite our of traversing boulder fields.

The instructions warn that the muscles in your feet need time to get used to how superfeet distribute your weight differently and recommend only using them for an hour or two a day at the beginning. This was entirely true in my case, they hurt a bit the first couple of times I wore them but once my feet got used to them they worked great.

Blue Wolf
08-06-2012, 23:34
I got Fred Flintstone feet wide and size 10 and I walk like Sasquatch.....so it's the orange soft ones for me.....green nope!.....made for strippers not hikers.... blue hard as a rock!

Skyline
08-06-2012, 23:55
I've been using the green Superfeet since about 1997. Last time I had arch pain, or a stress fracture, was the year before I started using Superfeet.

They take awhile for some to get used to them. Have patience, they are a good solution.

Miner
08-07-2012, 12:12
The thing about insoles is that not everyone's feet are the same. Most insoles are designed for people whose feet pronate a certain way since the majority of the population is like that. If your feet pronate differently, you are just asking for pain. Superfeet have worked well for me since 2007 when I started doing longer trips including a PCT thru-hike. However, they may not be for you. Its best to try any insole out before you hike a long trail to see how they work for you. If you are on the trail when you decide to try them, at least keep the factory insoles awhile until you see how your feet fare.

08-09-2012, 12:59
I've used the green for several years and they solved most of my problems except for calluses that I have under my big toes. After a few days of hiking, the calluses could get very painful. On my last 10 day trip I tried the orange superfeet and found they not only gave me the comfort of green superfeet, but they solved the callus problem.

Tinker
08-11-2012, 08:30
I used them, and others, for years (since the mid- - 1980s). I've had recent knee problems and was wondering if it was due to worn out shoes and/or orthotics lifting my longitudinal arches and putting my knees out of alignment (any little thing, year after year, can cause problems if it isn't near perfect).

I haven't worn orthotics for a month, have switched from wearing trail runners at work (I work standing up 8 hrs. a day) to wearing sandals (Teva water sport sandals, but it probably doesn't matter - the point is that they don't have a pronounced arch support). I haven't had any foot problems and my knee seems to be better (though I'm having it looked at tomorrow, because it seems to have gotten progressively worse over the past two years).
I'm beginning to think that the human body may need help from time to time, but it will probably take care of itself if we don't insist on fixing what isn't broken. ;)

Update: I just found out after an x-ray of my knee that I have a fractured patellar ligment (no idea exactly what that is at the moment). The doctor says it's an old injury and I might have to undergo some physical therapy. I can get around ok now, but the knee is always sore and feels a bit unstable (seems like it wants to hyperextend).
Just thought I'd mention this because my knee pain is not, after all, due to my orthotics (though both feet and knees seem fine without them for three weeks :-?).
Carry on!

Spokes
08-11-2012, 11:33
I like Superfeet insoles and wore them on my entire thru hike. Sadly some hikers and most store sales staff dont know how to properly fit them. You can't really rely on just picking a set using their letter size guide. Heck even the shoe industries sizing guide isn't all that consistent.

The two steps in sizing them are:
1- Check the length first. Go up or down in size to insure your whole foot is covered by the insole.
2- Make sure your entire heel fits inside the heel cup of the insole. Do this by laying the insole on the floor and placing your foot inside. No part of your heel should overlap the heel cup! Go up a size if necessary.

Don H
08-11-2012, 12:20
I use trail runners with the black Superfeet for flat feet. I wouldn't go without them,

Deacon
08-11-2012, 13:20
I developed plantar fasciitis. Rest, stretching, and the BLUE superfeet relieved the symptoms.

I have them in all of my shoes. Never going back.

What's the difference between the blue and green? I believe I read that someone had issues with green in trail runners. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spokes
08-11-2012, 16:09
What's the difference between the blue and green? I believe I read that someone had issues with green in trail runners. Why?

It's all here in the SuperFeet User Guides:

http://www.superfeet.com/users-guide/#choose