PDA

View Full Version : Observation Tower on Bromley Mt, Vermont

Jeff
07-31-2012, 15:03
The old wooden observation tower on Bromley Mt in Vermont has been torn down. Apparently the wood was rotting and safety became a factor. The Green Mountain Club is raising funds to build a new metal tower. AWOL's guide says there is a 5 state view from the summit. You can learn more and donate here:

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=378

DavidNH
07-31-2012, 15:41
this is so sad. That observation deck atop Bromely Mountain was such an awesome place to cowboy camp and stargaze!

tdoczi
07-31-2012, 17:39
i guess i should have went last year, too bad the forest was closed when i would have gone.

Montana AT05
07-31-2012, 20:55
The old wooden observation tower on Bromley Mt in Vermont has been torn down. Apparently the wood was rotting and safety became a factor. The Green Mountain Club is raising funds to build a new metal tower. AWOL's guide says there is a 5 state view from the summit. You can learn more and donate here:

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=378

I spent the 4th of July 2005 on that tower, with a kind section hiker who shared several small bottles of wine with me. We watched the fireworks in the valley's below.

All good things [men] pass, but it's ok, for they leave good things behind. --paraphrase of Alistair McLeod

Papa D
07-31-2012, 21:20
I heard that it was gone. There are wonderful New England towers at Glastenbury, Stratton, Belvedere (on Long Trail), and on Smarts Mountain in southern NH for your enjoyment though!

Jeff
08-01-2012, 07:47
I heard that it was gone. There are wonderful New England towers at Glastenbury, Stratton, Belvedere (on Long Trail), and on Smarts Mountain in southern NH for your enjoyment though!

Yes indeed...but one wonders what the future holds for these towers. Am sure there is the question of liability should someone fall. I imagine Shuckstack in the Smokies is in danger of demolition. We all hike past many summits where towers used to be. Sad !!