PDA

View Full Version : When to leave for NOBO

Cozy
07-31-2012, 20:42
Timing is crucial. When is the ideal time to leave from Springer and why? Some say February to beat the crowds? Others say after April 15th to beat February snowstorms and to allow March-April crowds to go ahead.

I want some solitude on the trail but I also want some contact with people - just not 20-30'people at a shelter. Thanks!

kayak karl
07-31-2012, 21:02
consider SOBO. unless you like winter then leave January. you will have solitude.

Cozy
07-31-2012, 21:43
Let me clarify what I mean by wanting some solitude. I don't mind being around other hikers but I want to be able to have some "me" time. Perhaps that will happen if I leave a shelter earlier than everyone else. Or when someone is half a mile in front or behind me. Which would be fine. But I don't know what to expect since I've never attempted a thru hike from Springer. I do not want to do a NOBO because that's starting with the hardest part of the trail and I want to start where others are around, especially the first few weeks.

Perhaps what I need to ask is when should I leave from Springer to avoid crowded shelters and trails. I know many leave in February and risk hiking in winter weather. Those who start after April 15 risk making it in time to Baxter.

kayak karl
07-31-2012, 22:33
if you want to avoid crowds, avoid shelters.

silverscuba22
07-31-2012, 23:50
I agree with kayak Karl, if you wanting solitude just stay away from shelters, i tented the whole time because i brought a dog. the only time it felt like there was too many people was at hawk shelter 8 miles from springer ( shelter was full and there had to be 40 tents thats night). with my dog i would always try and find a spot somewhat away from the shelter, but still in the general area. the tent helped ALOT for personal space. and after a few weeks depending on when you start it shouldnt be an issue.

I left March 10th.... i hear thats a little before the MAJOR rush. and teh weather was GREAT! but i kept hearing this was not a typical year sooooo

Jeff
08-01-2012, 07:43
Agree with the advice above. The AT is a very social trail. You need to enjoy the company of other like minded people...and a few unique personalities.

BrianLe
08-01-2012, 08:33
Leaving late Feb for me was much what you (OP) describe --- enough social (for me at least), and I spent most nights in shelters, but plenty of "me" time too, or at least plenty in the context of what the AT is.

Josh Calhoun
08-01-2012, 12:34
i am looking for the same thing you are. and i also am not a fan of summer heat. i am leaving FEB 16th

RED-DOG
08-01-2012, 14:37
I would leave early Febuary to beat some of the summer heat and the bugs. i left this year, springer MT Feb 14 and i pretty much hiked with spring, when i summited Katahdan june 17th it was low 70s and a little bit of drizzle. but this wasn't a typical year the weather was great the entire way. but when i Thru'd in 06 i started the same time and hiked in rain for the first 7 days and then it snowed and i was in snow until Erwin. so the weather and crowds changes from year to year. RED-DOG

max patch
08-01-2012, 15:36
Best time to leave is April 1 thru 15. Miss the crappy early season weather AND just as important get to finish up in the fall in new england.

Moose2001
08-01-2012, 15:43
Best time to leave is April 1 thru 15. Miss the crappy early season weather AND just as important get to finish up in the fall in new england.

+1 on this idea! Started April 1 and April 20. Much better than early march

A1ien
08-01-2012, 16:04
This is a good thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike&highlight=

DavidNH
08-01-2012, 20:53
Leave Springer Mountain around Mid to Late March. That way with a six month pace you cant get to Kathadin by Mid September allowing you to see the world famous and magnificent fall foliage of northern New England! Plus, September is the best time you can possibly be in Maine. Streams are lower, bugs are down, weather is clement!