PDA

View Full Version : Need Idea's - 18 month child - possible Lyme... what are your exsperinces?

Wise Old Owl
07-31-2012, 21:37
Turns out this might be an informative thread for adults with very young children, Recently my granddaughter got bit with a tick out in Ohio, she's 18 months old. The doctor prescribed AMOXCILLIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoxicillin) 5ML for 15 days in a liquid 400mg suspension. Which did surprise me, because its not what we get as we age. The other issues were the tick was removed but not identified and that was by using a lighter ( guess that's old school ) and the child quickly developed a fever, yet they say it was a dog tick.... You see the problem here - not getting the story straight.... There was a tiny rash at the bite site - not a ring.

Appears that the script is short? I have no idea. For adults its Doxycyclin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxycyclin) for 30 days.

So I am putting the story out because WB has a large group that have a few opinions. What have you experienced?

Ashley is doing fine the fever broke and well she's a cute owlet. Here's a pic from the trip to the zoo. Can we explore this?

hikerboy57
07-31-2012, 21:47
well I have absolutely no experience with lyme disease. so I feel fully qualified to offer my opinion.
ashley is adorable

moytoy
07-31-2012, 21:57
I also don't have any experience with lyme and I concur with HB57. I will say that children are very tuff when it comes to fighting off infections. My youngest daughter was bit by a tick 30 years ago and developed RMSF. With antibiotics she came through it with no lasting ill effects. Catching these types of infections early is the key. It sounds like you caught whatever she got early and will be fine.

Wise Old Owl
07-31-2012, 22:12
..............................Thanks HB

rickb
07-31-2012, 22:25
Staitstics come into play with all diagnosis, I think. Bayes' therum?

In any event better to be bitten in Ohio than around my neck of the woods. I'd suggest you google up a Lyme distibution map form the CDC and similar sources. Itmight ease your concern some.
iven your concern
One key to handling a tick bite getting it off in 24 - 48 hours. Google that up, too. I am assuming it was on longer given your concern.

My understanding is that a VERY short course of antibiotics is often indicated if no symptoms annd found quickly.

bwburgin1015
08-01-2012, 08:03
Don't know anything about Lyme, but know a lot about antibiotics. Antibiotics vary in dosage and duration based on their strength, the severity of infection, and the weight of the patient. Some milder antibiotics may be 4 a day for two weeks. A stronger one may be one a day for 3 or 4 days. I believe Doxycycline is a fairly mild antibiotic...but I may be wrong!

Snowleopard
08-01-2012, 09:55
Very cute owlet!
This concerns me because I have a 2.5 year old granddaughter in Lyme disease territory. So what to do for protecting children? I have more questions than answers.

Permethrin: I usually recommend treating clothing this but how safe is it if a toddler chews on it? I have no idea!
DEET: It is probably safe for children, but I'd rather not use it. Personally, I think it is insane to use a spray, especially for children. A spray puts too much in the air that will be breathed. Use a non-spray version and spread it by hand.
Non-permethin clothes: this is safe, and helps some, but you really need to combine it with tick inspections. A trick is that ticks, especially deer tick nymphs on clothes will be killed by using a clothes dryer (more effective than washing).
Tick inspections: this is safest, but I'm skeptical that all deer tick nymphs will be found.
Identifying ticks: I'm not sure I could distinguish a somewhat engorged deer tick from an unengorged dog tick.
Landscaping to control ticks: http://healthvermont.gov/prevent/lyme/landscape.aspx This won't work at my granddaughter's apartment.

I'm afraid that what makes her safest is that she lives in an urban area with fewer deer or ticks, but that is just sad.

More ideas or links?

Feral Bill
08-01-2012, 11:46
Any pediatrician in tick country ought to be able to help you. And yes, tht's one cute little owlet.

yakmom_8
08-12-2012, 20:46
My daughter, who is now 13, had Lyme Disease twice as a toddler (or the spirochete bacteria was in hiding)...She had it once at 18 months and was treated with a 14 day course of antibiotics - and she had it again at age 3 (I don't remember how long she was treated)....she developed epilepsy and had multi incidents of status elipticus and was on anti seizure drugs for years --- they can't say for sure that there was a relationship between the Lyme Disease and the seizures but we feel that there was. She is now been seizure free for a number of years but it was a frightening time.

We lived and work at a children's camp full time at the time. One staff child who was 7 developed Bell's Palsy from Lyme Disease...another toddler has long lasting joint issues and has had to walk with crutches and walkers until he was about 12.

My microbiology professor who did his master's thesis on Lyme Disease in dogs - is huge advocate of using a 30 day course of antibiotics..

Papa D
08-12-2012, 21:08
WOO:

If you P/M me, I'll let my wife respond - she is a Pharmacist and knows a lot about lyme disease and associated meds

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2012, 21:11
Nah its over - the kid is fine - and the doc's have it under control.... its good.

Papa D
08-12-2012, 21:15
Nah its over - the kid is fine - and the doc's have it under control.... its good.

great - - now you just need to get well - - didn't you get a new knee or shoulder or something?

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2012, 21:20
cleaned out knee.... just swell

Papa D
08-12-2012, 21:25
cleaned out knee.... just swell

gotcha - hope to see you out there

hobby
08-12-2012, 21:57
Turns out this might be an informative thread for adults with very young children, Recently my granddaughter got bit with a tick out in Ohio, she's 18 months old. The doctor prescribed AMOXCILLIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoxicillin) 5ML for 15 days in a liquid 400mg suspension. Which did surprise me, because its not what we get as we age. The other issues were the tick was removed but not identified and that was by using a lighter ( guess that's old school ) and the child quickly developed a fever, yet they say it was a dog tick.... You see the problem here - not getting the story straight.... There was a tiny rash at the bite site - not a ring.

Appears that the script is short? I have no idea. For adults its Doxycyclin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxycyclin) for 30 days.

So I am putting the story out because WB has a large group that have a few opinions. What have you experienced?

Ashley is doing fine the fever broke and well she's a cute owlet. Here's a pic from the trip to the zoo. Can we explore this?

WOO
Very cute grandaughter! maybe the 4th cutest in the world (since I have 3) lol

Probably Amoxicillin was given prophalacticly 'just in case' in a shorter duration. Doxycycline is given to adults only (except in life threatening circumstances) because it can cause permanent discoloration of developing teeth in children. Amoxicillin (and other antibiotics) will also work and are perfectly fine as a first choice in children.
Glad she is doing fine!

Doc Mike
08-13-2012, 19:43
Probably Amoxicillin was given prophalacticly 'just in case' in a shorter duration. Doxycycline is given to adults only (except in life threatening circumstances) because it can cause permanent discoloration of developing teeth in children. Amoxicillin (and other antibiotics) will also work and are perfectly fine as a first choice in children.
Glad she is doing fine!

Plus one

HikerMom58
08-13-2012, 20:56
She's a cutie...beautiful blue eyes!! :)

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2012, 22:50
Glad she is doing fine!

Plus one

Thanks she is doing summersaults
around the apartments in Ohio,,