PDA

View Full Version : 7 days NOBO December from Amicalola

squishware
08-01-2012, 11:24
Myself and my three grown sons are planning a trip. Mid-December is the only time we can ALL be off for a week. I am currently collecting gear for all of us. Any advice appreciated. I checked the average temperatures and it was looking like low 50s for the high and high 20s for the low. Does that seem accurate? Is there a chance I would need crampons? How deep of snow is likely? I doubt we'll make it much past the NC state line.

RED-DOG
08-01-2012, 14:18
Go as light as you can. slow and easy up the falls they can be brutal on first timers. no you should not need crampons but you might see a little bit of snow maybe 2-4 inches and thats a big maybe. you will be right about the temps the days will be crisp and beutiful but the nights will be frigid.and :welcome to WB. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

moldy
08-01-2012, 21:59
The weather is a crapshoot. If there is a big storm coming....don't go. If this December is normal you will see no snow, just cold nights. I would take my 20 degree bag and my down coat. In decent weather this will be a great hike. 2 years ago I made it from Springer(minus appraoch trail) all the way to Deep Gap NC in 7 days in December without too much effort.

JoshL
08-05-2012, 22:21
Georgia can be deceptively cold at times in December, the humidity and wind chill can make 30 degrees feel like 15. I would plan for a low in the high teens rather than high 20's just in case. I personally enjoy cold weather camping, but having the right gear is a must. I wouldn't worry about the crampons. A good pair of thermals, an insulated jacket, and a wind/rain jacket are a must as well as a good sleeping bag and some nice heavy socks for night. Also I made the mistake my last cold trip I went on of leaving water in my camelback reservoir overnight and woke up with the thing completely frozen, so make sure that you empty out anything that holds water before bed and just refill in the morning. I think you will find hiking during the day rather pleasant but just be ready for some cold nights.

squishware
08-07-2012, 11:43
Thanks for the replies, everyone.