PDA

View Full Version : Hiking buddy for 2013

Spann
08-01-2012, 13:20
I am looking to find someone who would like to hike the AT thru hike with in 2013. Ideally I would like to find someone that hikes at my speed is in good shape, confident in their outdoor abilities. I would also like to find someone who enjoys the same types of food, since we will be sharing this. I eat almost everything except mushrooms. I like to eat healthy. This will be my longest backpacking trek thus far, but also am excited for the adventure. Also someone who is can be financially responsible for themselves and is open to talk about expenses prior to starting our journey about what costs will be shared or not. I'm looking at this as an adventure not a race from one end to the other. I grew up in Wyoming, but have been living in Kansas the last 5 years for my job. I understand this takes approximatly six months, so yes that would mean quiting my job to do this, so please only contact me if you are serious. I am excited to explore the east coast. I look forward to exploring the small towns along the way when we come into town for supplies. I am very social and outgoing. Happy hiking. Thanks Sara

RED-DOG
08-01-2012, 14:07
If you leave Springer MT from mid Febuary to mid April you will not have a problem finding a hiking partner since their will be thousands of people leaving that same time. i really do mean Thousands.And:welcome to WB. go have fun good luck. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 )

YOLO-ASU
08-17-2012, 13:40
Hey,
I'am also interested in finding a partner for the trail 2013....before hand. I'm 22 just out of college and stoked to go on an adventure. I have experience as a backpack instructor for ASU, and have had my Wilderness First Responder Certification for almost 3 years, among other certs and outdoor talents. If your interested email me at [email protected], title email with Thru Hike

kombiguy
08-17-2012, 14:13
Hi! I'm leaving Springer Mt. on the 16th of April. I have no idea what your speed is, so I can't answer for that. My expenses aren't an issue, I've budgeted really well. I can eat almost anything. Look at my profile, see what you think.

streete
09-18-2012, 19:48
Hey!
I'll be graduating in early May and would love to start after that.. I know most are planning on starting in March or April, but if anyone else is in my boat and looking into starting a little later let me know!

snowrider1120
10-05-2012, 12:11
Streete- there are some alternative hikes, the one that I am considering actually recommends starting in May! You start in early May at Harper's Ferry and hike North, then return to HF and finish sobo. here's the list of perks! (see: Head Start MAY) http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start
By the way that's when I'm hoping to start! As of now I'm solo

Sman
10-05-2012, 19:14
Streete- there are some alternative hikes, the one that I am considering actually recommends starting in May! You start in early May at Harper's Ferry and hike North, then return to HF and finish sobo. here's the list of perks! (see: Head Start MAY) http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

This was very interesting--------------- Has a lot to think about.

Slo-go'en
10-05-2012, 22:18

I think the "leapfrog" hike is a better plan, as it will give you on average better all round weather. Plus you get to start with eveyone else, which is fun dispite there being so many.

And as Red-Dog says, you'll find pleanty of people to hike with when you get to the trail. Pre-arranged partners rarely work out. And always plan to be self reliant. Sharing stuff is not a good idea.

snowrider1120
10-07-2012, 18:35
I think the "leapfrog" hike is a better plan, as it will give you on average better all round weather. Plus you get to start with eveyone else, which is fun dispite there being so many.

that one does look really great, but the logistics would be even more difficult. also, while it would be fun to start with everyone, you would have to leave them all when you hit HF, and it seems unlikely anyone else would be in new england in June, so then youd be alone. plus, while i hope to enjoy the company of other hikers, it just seems like in the beginning there are SOOO many. i suppose it's just a matter of personal preference! hence "hike your own hike" and all that goodness =)

Sweetspot
10-07-2012, 19:09
As already said. There will be thousands on the trail. If you do happen to find that perfect partner before you leave.Plan on not sharing anything especially food. You might sample each others meals or trade around. What if you two have planned your hike down to splitting the tip at a restaurant. Then one of you have to get off trail. The other one will have a hard time figuring out what to do. You will find out for your self the generosity of the hikers, town people, shuttle drivers, people that will stop and pick you up when you are hitch hiking to town. You will be able to share a room or a camp site or a shelter space. Always room for one more. I think you should have a partner but you be self sufficient. Good Luck

Carolina&Roxy
10-13-2012, 22:00
I am looking to start Feb 1st, and head NOBO until end of March. I'll have my dog with me, who's had plenty of hiking experience (including parts of the AT/Long Trail) this past summer. I averaged 15 mi/day this summer, and think I will be capable of comfortably doing 12-18 miles daily when I begin in Feb.

JuliaCarney
10-29-2012, 23:50
Hey! I'm also looking for someone to start out from Springer with. I'm planning to head out mid or late February. I'm in good shape and look forward to improving on that. E-mail me at [email protected]!

Changeofcourse2013
10-30-2012, 01:40
I'm not in the best of shape, and I'm not sure what my hiking speed will be but I'm starting in march or april and I'm working on the money part

Katiepecbvda
12-01-2012, 20:19
Hey Snowrider that sounds like a pretty good idea to avoid the cold as much as possible. I would like to start as early in may as possible and finish within 5 months. Is that about the speed you were wanting to do?

silvercricket
01-18-2013, 22:28
I would like to start as early in may as possible and finish within 5 months. Is that about the speed you were wanting to do?

I'm starting around April 30th and planning on finishing (wherever I am on the trail) around mid-late September which seems to be about your speed?