PDA

View Full Version : 3-5 day section between late PA and MA

ChinMusic
08-01-2012, 15:42
I am planning a thru for next year and a buddy of mine has shown some interest in joining me for a few days. He is in pretty good shape for 60, hunts regularly, but realizes he doesn't want to tackle something like the Whites right out of the box. He wants to go between early June and late July. He is a HS baseball umpire and can't go til the season is over. I am guessing I will be out of VA by early June. I am also guessing that the PA rocks would not be a good choice, only guessing. If for some reason I am still in northern VA in early June, I could see that as a good fit.

What 3-5 day section (prob 30-70 miles) would be a good place for him to join me? I have not done the trail north of Damascus. If it were south of Damascus I could answer it myself. Specific mileage is not all that important. His wife (I think she might like the NY area) will have a car so getting off the trail earlier/later isn't much of an issue. I know that if I am still going I will have to slow down quite a bit to accommodate him. I don't have a problem with that.

Cookerhiker
08-01-2012, 18:21
The worst of the PA rocks occur east of the Susquehanna and 2-3 days from Duncannon. That's not to say there are a few rocky stretches (e.g. so-called Rocky Mountain coming into Rt. 30/Caledonia) but they're not as painful as further north. So if you're just out of VA by early June, he could join you in Harpers Ferry and hike to Caledonia or better yet, Pine Grove Furnace where he can watch you wolf down the half-gallon challenge.

Another option since his wife may want to tour NY is to meet up at Bear Mountain and hike 45 miles to Pawling (not too difficult) or an additional 20 to Kent.

I would not recommend NY between Greenwood Lake & Bear Mountain because it's mostly steep up-and-down which many hikers - even thruhikers - underestimate.

Hope it works and I guess you guys can argue about the strike zone.;)

shelb
08-02-2012, 00:03
Maryland is great! If you were in that area, he could meet you at Harpers Ferry and hike to PenMar Park. That 50 miles would qualify him to claim he hiked across the state of Maryland!

ChinMusic
08-02-2012, 10:34
So if you're just out of VA by early June, he could join you in Harpers Ferry and hike to Caledonia or better yet, Pine Grove Furnace where he can watch you wolf down the half-gallon challenge.

Another option since his wife may want to tour NY is to meet up at Bear Mountain and hike 45 miles to Pawling (not too difficult) or an additional 20 to Kent.

I would not recommend NY between Greenwood Lake & Bear Mountain because it's mostly steep up-and-down which many hikers - even thruhikers - underestimate.

Hope it works and I guess you guys can argue about the strike zone.;)
Thanks, just what I was looking for. I'm sure there are plenty of options and now is probably too soon to ask. But given his range of a month and a half (he's "retired" as well), and the average rate for thrus, I thought I would ask.

Don't get me started on his strike zone...........lol

ChinMusic
08-02-2012, 10:36
Maryland is great! If you were in that area, he could meet you at Harpers Ferry and hike to PenMar Park. That 50 miles would qualify him to claim he hiked across the state of Maryland!
OOooooo, start in northern VA and end in PA. That way he can brag that he hiked in FOUR states. His buddies back home won't know the logistics...........