PDA

View Full Version : 4-5 Day Hike in Georgia for Beginner

Homespun
08-01-2012, 15:54
I've been doing a lot of research on doing a 4-5 day solo hike on the AT in Georgia, starting at Springer and going 30-40 miles or so over 4-5 days. I guess I'm looking for input from you all about whether I'm on solid ground with my plan.

I'm looking to go late September. Is this a good time weather-wise?

I'm thinking of staying at the Hiker's Hostel on a Sunday night, starting the hike Monday morning and finishing up Friday.

I've got an ENO hammock system (rainfly, bug net, etc.) and don't plan to stay at shelters (maybe near them, though). Any issues with that? I plan to hang food, toothpaste, etc. in a bear bag or something else (I need more to do more research on this).

I've never done an overnight hike, but have done a lot of camping and day hikes.

I'm in good physical shape.

I own or have access to most of the gear I'll need (although, to be sure, a list of gear/supplies for a 4-5 day hike would be awesome if someone has one).

Anyone see a problem with this plan or have any suggestions for this overnight hiking newb?

Thanks very much.

Buffalo Skipper
08-01-2012, 16:01
As a hammock camper who is doing a section just north of there that same week, I would suggest that you will be cool to cold in the hammock without some insulation underneath (sleeping bag won't cut it). I guess you will find lows in in the upper 40s to mid 50s. It is hard to get any cold-weather hammocking experience in Florida (trust me, I speak from experience). You will need to add a pad at the least, if not an underquilt. I would discourage you from hammocking overnight in temps below 70 if you have never done so before.

No trying to be discouraging, just realistic, based on experience.

Homespun
08-01-2012, 17:27
Thanks for your comment, Buffalo Skipper. So, are you saying I shouldn't hammock at all below 70, even with a pad?

You're right, I won't have an opportunity in Florida before the hike to test out the hammock in cooler weather, but it just seems to me that 50-60 would be doable, but then, I've never slept in a hammock in 50 degree weather, so I don't have any experience to draw from. 40, yeah, that seems to be getting on the cold side. I appreciate your input, b/c I actually didn't think it'd be down in the low 40's in late September. Maybe I should go a few weeks earlier, if possible...

Thanks again.

bigcranky
08-01-2012, 19:01
I have used a closed cell foam pad down below freezing in a hammock, and it works. An underquilt would be better for several reasons, but a pad is much cheaper. In September it should be fine - just make sure it's wide enough to wrap around your shoulders.

Late Sept is a great time for a hike. Cool but not too cold. The Hiker Hostel plan is a solid one. Assuming you start at Springer, you can get a great 3-4 night hike and end up anywhere from Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap, (30 to 50 miles) depending on how you feel on the trail. Just be flexible and have the hostel folks pick you up wherever you happen to finish.

One thing to keep an eye on is water - that's often when springs get low. You can check here on WB before you leave and ask about water levels in GA. You'll need to hang food. That makes staying near a shelter a decent idea, since they all have bear cables. Just put all your smellables in your food bag and hang that on the cables (easy and fast.)

Take it easy on the weight. Take it easy on the pace when you start hiking. I've met numerous Floridians who were somewhat taken aback by the first real climb on the AT (usually Sassafras Mountain), but an easy pace gets you to the top eventually. Have fun and enjoy it all.

Homespun
08-02-2012, 09:35
Great info and advice. Thanks, Big Cranky.

I'm definitely planning to take it easy. I want to push myself a little, but I also want to use the time to chill and not go so hard that it takes the fun out of it. The planning has been a bit overwhelming. Everyone has their idea what is necessary to bring/do. Sorting through it all and making informed decisions is almost daunting, but also kind of fun. :)

Hoop
08-02-2012, 22:53
Lots of poison ivy last September. Might think about treating your clothes with permethrin.

kayak karl
08-02-2012, 23:02
Lots of poison ivy last September. Might think about treating your clothes with permethrin.
permethrin for poison ivy

Red Hat
08-03-2012, 11:46
I suggest Springer to Hogpen, as that's a little less than 40 miles and an easy out road crossing. You might be tempted to quit at Neel Gap (30+ miles), but rest there and take another day. The walk to the shelter is long (1 mile of the AT) , but worth it for your last night. Then it's just quick walk to the road the next morning.

Buffalo Skipper
08-03-2012, 12:25
Thanks for your comment, Buffalo Skipper. So, are you saying I shouldn't hammock at all below 70, even with a pad?

You're right, I won't have an opportunity in Florida before the hike to test out the hammock in cooler weather, but it just seems to me that 50-60 would be doable, but then, I've never slept in a hammock in 50 degree weather, so I don't have any experience to draw from. 40, yeah, that seems to be getting on the cold side. I appreciate your input, b/c I actually didn't think it'd be down in the low 40's in late September. Maybe I should go a few weeks earlier, if possible...

Thanks again.

No, no, no, no, no. Sorry if I misled you. I am saying that if you are below 70°, you will need some sort of insulation. I was out with some novice hammockers this past weekend, and they had no insulation at 75°, and both were cool. I had a fleece liner and was very cozy. Usually for these temps, I will use my summer underquilt.

A pad would be fine to get you below 70°, and there are may who will use a pad down to 30° for this. But a standard pad will not be large enough to cover your shoulders in the hammock. If you are looking at using a pad, consider a SPE, Segmented Pad Extender. Think of it as a way of adding "wings" to a regular foam pad so that your it hugs your sides and shoulders. It is my opinion that a pad does slightly detract from the comfort of the hammock, but not horribly so. YMMV.

Another thing to consider about a foam pad is that it is a vapor barrier, and you can easily sweat while sleeping on it. This has happened to me with a standard WalMart blue pad or even a ThermaRest pad. If you want a quality pad, look at this pad material you can buy by the roll in varying thicknesses from Gossamer Gear. This is some nice pad material. http://gossamergear.com/sleeping.html

It is a challenge to try cooler weather gear when stuck in Florida. If you really want to learn more about hammocks and bottom insulation, take the time to go to http://hammockforums.net. You will find more infomation there than you can easily digest. Ask questions; the folks there are very helpful. Good luck.

Kerosene
08-03-2012, 12:33
Note that permithrin is insect repellent and has nothing to do with poison ivy. Frankly, I don't think you'll need repellent in late September in Georgia, but permithrin treatments last for multiple washings so it doesn't hurt.

I would look to send a re-supply package to Walasi-Yi at Neel Gap, or purchase food there (assuming they have sufficient supplies in late September) to reduce your initial carry-weight.

I grew up in the North, and I wouldn't use a hammock without a wrap-around pad or underquilt at temperatures below 60F.

Hoop
08-03-2012, 14:12
"permethrin for poison ivy" - not. Should have been clearer, left off the part about ticks.

mtaylor
08-03-2012, 22:02
You should be good to go with a hammock and some sort of insulation pad. Don't be afraid of wearing some light weight hiking pants to help with poison ivy, etc. Also, like the other poster said, take it easy with some of the climbs..there are a couple of huge climbs in that section.

Erica Gibson
08-04-2012, 02:32
All righthttp://www.50centloseweight.com/jhkh.gif