PDA

View Full Version : Tempetures encountered on the A.T

cybernugz
08-01-2012, 16:29
Hello, I am planning a a thru hike on the A.T either starting the beginning of March or April and was wondering what kind of low temperatures to pack for . So for anyone that has done a thru hike starting in these months any help with the type of conditions I will face would be great. I am trying to put together my gear so that I will have minimal articles to switch out through out the hike My 3 season setup is weighing in at 10.5lbs base weight but should have it down to about 9lbs after cutting out some things I really don't need. Any help would be great .Thank you for your time.

cybernugz
08-01-2012, 16:33
I guess what I am really after is which months I will need my cold weather gear for the hike .

Pedaling Fool
08-01-2012, 16:39
Temps were reported to be very near zero on this day near Springer Mt in early March

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/p1030579.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=24271&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=6936)

And was very cold in Feb of 2007, not as cold as above, but the wind made for some very cold wind chill factors. Look closely and you'll see snow blowing in the wind.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/Stillcoldon9Apr2007.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=17901&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=6936)

Pedaling Fool
08-01-2012, 16:41
I guess what I am really after is which months I will need my cold weather gear for the hike .It's probably best to keep it until at least Pearisburg, Va. You'll want to dump them earlier, because there will be some very nice days, but that's just mother nature setting your ass up, as she likes to do. Damn bi....

kayak karl
08-01-2012, 16:46
when you start. march and april. you mat see snow in march.

mountain squid
08-01-2012, 16:52
The later you begin, the warmer it will be (probably). In Mar I would expect some teens. In Apr I would expect some twenties. It'll be cold . . . and probably snowy . . . .

Concur. Hold onto that cold weather gear at least until Pearisburg or after Mount Rogers.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Class of 2013 Spreadsheet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2013thruhikers)

johnnybgood
08-01-2012, 16:53
I wouldn't start March 1st unless you're prepared for a full gamut of weather ; snow/ice/freezing rain . Wait till mid May , north of Grayson Highlands before switching out winter gear.

4shot
08-01-2012, 18:59
I started late March around the 24th. Lows were in the 20's, high in the low 90's (over a period of maybe 8 weeks). and it's mixed up. I dealt with freezing rain a week after hiking in 85 degree temps. Makes it hard to pack.

cybernugz
08-01-2012, 21:11
Ty for all of the input was worried about sending my cold weather gear home to soon and then regretting it. I will be using a hammock I have o degree under quilt and top quilt. so I guess I will hold on to the extra weight till i know for sure i'll be safe.

Datto
08-02-2012, 20:00
I started my northbound AT thru-hike on April 10th and finished on October 21st. I had snow a few times in Georgia and North Carolina, cold sub-32*F on Mt. Rogers at Thomas Knob Shelter in Virginia just north of Damascus, VA toward the end of May (this is about milepoint 475 or so), A cold night or two in the 30's when it was raining in Connecticut (musta been August or so), -19*F wind chill on top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire (just about froze my living begonias off) and a few nights at 24*F in a blizzard in Maine.

Also had a more than a few upper 90*F days with high humidity in Virginia and plenty of just plain ol' 90*F days in the Central States.

The adage for northbounders of keeping your cold weather gear at least past Mt. Rogers in southern Virginia and then picking up your cold weather gear again at or before Hanover, NH held true for me.

Datto

cybernugz
08-03-2012, 22:32
Thanks Datto (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?2789-Datto) wish I could just get my pack weight down enough to carry one setup so if the weather called for it I will have it. wishful thinking lol...fixing to start getting my mail drops figured out thats going to be fun lol

Datto
08-05-2012, 00:25
Best of adventures to you. A fabulous experience awaits.

Datto

Papa D
08-05-2012, 08:59
Unlikely that you'll hit anything in the single digits (though possible). I'd plan on daytime temps mostly between 40F and 60F in GA,NC,TN and nights in the 20s - maybe a little colder in GSMNP. After you get past Grayson Highlands (VA), you can evaluate whether or not to ditch winter stuff - You might want to hold on to it till about Front Royal, VA depending on your start date and pace. It can be cold on all of the AT year-around though - you will always want a rain jacket, sweater, and hat.

cybernugz
08-05-2012, 23:38
Thank you Papa D another question different subject hope thats ok..do most of the stops along the trail accept debit/credit cards ? or will i need to have cash on hand ?

daddytwosticks
08-06-2012, 07:18
I don't know of too many places you will have a problem using debit/credit down here on the sothern end. I live in a small town and I get funny looks whenever I pop into any store and want to use cash. Come to think about it, I tend to get funny looks even when I'm not buying stuff. :)

Papa D
08-06-2012, 07:56
Thank you Papa D another question different subject hope thats ok..do most of the stops along the trail accept debit/credit cards ? or will i need to have cash on hand ?

Some places (grocery stores, convenience stores, etc.) obviously take credit cards but there are many places that greatly prefer cash (due to the fees) or don't take them at all - these places include some small country stores, some hostels, etc. You will also want cash to give a few bucks for gas to someone who gives you a ride, etc.

I usually have a credit card and about $100 -$150 in cash on me. It's a good idea to have some one and five dollar bills too - hundreds aren't too popular at country stores. If you leave your pack somewhere, take your cash with you - security isn't a huge deal on the trail but you should be careful. Every few hundred miles, you can stop and hit an ATM or bank for a cash re-supply.

Grampie
08-06-2012, 09:25
From my journal: April 17, 2001..Ice Water Spring Shelter...Cold last night 8 degrees...4-5" snow still on the trail.

Papa D
08-06-2012, 11:25
From my journal: April 17, 2001..Ice Water Spring Shelter...Cold last night 8 degrees...4-5" snow still on the trail.

Totally possible in April but a deviation from what would be typical in April which would be lows in the 20s (and maybe some patchy snow about)

cybernugz
08-06-2012, 18:49
Thanks Papa D..Figuring now I will start around April 1st this is what im going to bring for clothing let me know what you all think

2x med weight base layer top/bottom
Blackrock down hat
Balaclava
zues down jacket
silver ridge convertible pants
microfleece pullover
Gloves,wristies,rain mits
Rain gear for outer shell
3 pairs of smart wool socks
Down booties

swjohnsey
08-23-2012, 13:59
This year starting March 30 at Springer probably in the teens or twenties near Roan Mountain with 6-12 inches of snow accumulation with a high in the low 90's somewhere in Virginia. I sent my cold weather gear home from Damascus after a carefully weather check and haven't had a need for it since. I will finish with only a wind/rain shell for cold weather gear.

Rangerman40
08-26-2012, 01:09
I started my section hike April 15 of this year on Springer and it was in the Low 80's....