PDA

View Full Version : Vegan

v0v18
08-01-2012, 18:35
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to upkeep a Vegan diet one the trail? Carting food around to places to eat in trail towns?

Cookerhiker
08-01-2012, 19:02
If you go to the Cooking and Food forum and do a search with vegan as key word, you'll find lots of threads. Here's one: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?43239-Vegan-Thru-Hikers&highlight=vegan There are others which include both vegan and vegetarian.

max patch
08-01-2012, 19:04
I'm not trying to be funny - this is a serious response - but you be surprised at how many vegans develop a taste for cheeseburgers at some point during their hike.

Moose2001
08-01-2012, 19:15
I did two thrus with a vegan. She had no problems finding food for the trail and in town. It's not that big of an issue. And no....she never went the cheeseburger route!

ATSeamstress
08-01-2012, 19:38
I'm not trying to be funny - this is a serious response - but you be surprised at how many vegans develop a taste for cheeseburgers at some point during their hike.

I met a couple of guys at Woods Hole who had been vegetarians but gave it up during their hike.

Lone Wolf
08-01-2012, 20:38

agree. met quite a few over the years that gave up the vegan thing after a few weeks of walkin'. for most it was the first time in their life doing any real exercise

Miami Joe
08-02-2012, 00:56
Musta had fun in the privy after that first cheeseburger.

poloaa009
08-02-2012, 05:33
good point! i agree with your!the information I’m sending it to some friends! http://www.free-coupon-codes.info/lol/ap.jpg http://www.free-coupon-codes.info/non/or.jpg

daddytwosticks
08-02-2012, 07:14
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Seriously, I've never hiked long enough to develop the famed hiker appettite. However, after one day of strenuous hiking, I develop an unnatural craving for a greasy cheeseburger! :)

Papa D
08-02-2012, 08:27
I think mail drops are still apt for a vegan hiker - lots of Primal Strips, protein shake powder, pre-dehydrated stuff from home, etc. You may end up eating a lot of junk food in towns - - Pringles are probably vegan - not necessarily good for you. A vegetarian that eats dairy and occasionally foil bags of tuna (like me) has a much easier time of it.

v0v18
08-02-2012, 15:20
Thanks for the advice guys... Not able to do mail drops so guess im eating a lot of junk :)

Moose2001
08-02-2012, 15:30
Thanks for the advice guys... Not able to do mail drops so guess im eating a lot of junk :)

Not necessary to eat a lot of junk when being a vegan. In fact, if you look at most thru's diet when actually on the trail it's more vegan than not. Potatoes, Liptons rice/pasta meals, stuffing, ramen, etc. You can do fine on a vegan diet.

Papa D
08-02-2012, 22:15
Not necessary to eat a lot of junk when being a vegan. In fact, if you look at most thru's diet when actually on the trail it's more vegan than not. Potatoes, Liptons rice/pasta meals, stuffing, ramen, etc. You can do fine on a vegan diet.

you have to use the potatoes without cheese, the pasta sides without dairy, etc. - yes it's possible but it is a lot easier if you can mail drop primal strips, dehydrated tofu or seitan, protein shakes, etc. - - I'm a vegetarian and that in and of itself is occasionally a challenge but I would say that a vegan diet is possible but really hard without mail drops or a lot of junk food - - probably both.

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2012, 22:22
potato chips and other junk foods would have helped the bail!

Ok papa D you are now my best source.....!

Papa D
08-02-2012, 22:28
potato chips and other junk foods would have helped the bail!

Ok papa D you are now my best source.....!

sounds like you're in trouble if that's the case WOO. Hey - what's up - aren't you having some body part replaced this month? Your knee or something? Getting some "good" drugs?

shelb
08-02-2012, 23:28
There is a book called "Hiking the Dream" that is written by a vegan thru-hiker. If I remember correctly, she includes meal ideas in the back. My guess is your greatest challenge will be to get in your protein.

Feral Bill
08-03-2012, 02:38
[QUOTE= My guess is your greatest challenge will be to get in your protein.[/QUOTE] Peanut butter and bread= complete protein. Not a problem.

Sweetspot
08-03-2012, 09:35
I met a hiker named Plant Man he is a strict vegan. You can read his journal. He had drop boxes. I was a vegetarian when I hiked now I am a vegan. It is very hard in the trail towns and at the hikers feeds. To stay true to your diet. I can be done The pasta sides have dried milk in it and is processed. Most of the normal hiker food is not for vegans. You might have to reconsider having a bounce box. Good luck