PDA

View Full Version : white box or not to white box that is the question

dgm
08-01-2012, 23:32
Doing 8 day GSMNP hike Sept 1. Used SP Gigapower w/ sp 1400 set up for the Nat. Nat Pk last year w/o a hitch. Want to use the wb. So simple and fool proof. Will be doing 20 oz for coffee in am (wife and me), 16 oz on pm for mountain house two person meal. Maybe 8 oz for tea. I can boil 20 oz of h2o w/ 1 oz of HEET in 5:30. Would the weight of alchy out weigh the compressed gas?

grayfox
08-02-2012, 10:10
My water heating is usually similar to this. There are so many variables that any advice you get will be general. I usually draw the line at six days. After that I will want a resupply for alcohol or I will just carry an extra bottle(eggs in one basket you know). It also depends on being able to use a campfire if you need to. If you need to carry more than one canister to feel 'safe' then it is about even weight wise between the two I think for 8 days.

With the WB, be sure to use a windscreen and a wide bottomed pot--a tea kettle is the best to maximise efficiency of this stove. If you can feel heat escaping around your stove and windscreen then you know that it is wasted, you should be able to hold your hand close to your heating pot without being burned. And of course if flames are licking up the sides of your pot you need to do something about that--no use carrying fuel to heat the wilderness!

As a very general rule of thumb, warm summer=1/2 liter per person--cold winter=1 liter per person per week. I would say to err on the side of extra if using alcohol and less if using other fuels which have more btu capacity.

jeffmeh
08-02-2012, 12:21
http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use

zelph
08-08-2012, 17:09
Doing 8 day GSMNP hike Sept 1. Used SP Gigapower w/ sp 1400 set up for the Nat. Nat Pk last year w/o a hitch. Want to use the wb. So simple and fool proof. Will be doing 20 oz for coffee in am (wife and me), 16 oz on pm for mountain house two person meal. Maybe 8 oz for tea. I can boil 20 oz of h2o w/ 1 oz of HEET in 5:30. Would the weight of alchy out weigh the compressed gas?

No need to worry about the weight of the alcohol vs canister. The White Box is quiet:) Most important is the use of Mountain House meals..........they are sooooooo tasty.....best there is in my opinion.

Spokes
08-08-2012, 17:34
Want simple? Empty cat food can and a paper punch- voila! Super Cat stove.

Most every alchy stove with a wind screen will boil water in about 6-7 minutes (+/-). All the rest is hype.

Measure your fuel every time. 35mm film canister is exactly 1 oz. Pretty soon you'll know exactly how much fuel you need depending on what your cooking. Don't need HEET, buy a pint of denatured at your local home improvement store.

zelph
08-08-2012, 18:23
Want simple? Empty cat food can and a paper punch- voila! Super Cat stove.

Most every alchy stove with a wind screen will boil water in about 6-7 minutes (+/-). All the rest is hype.

Measure your fuel every time. 35mm film canister is exactly 1 oz. Pretty soon you'll know exactly how much fuel you need depending on what your cooking. Don't need HEET, buy a pint of denatured at your local home improvement store.

I love the Super Cat. It's my inspiration for all my 1 piece stoves.:)

The Super Cat burns hot, especially when surrounded by a windscreen. Hard to get a boil with 1/2 ounce when it burns too hot.

Hype is good:D sells stoves. The one woman that cabbagehead sent his stove to uses her hypes to sell stoves. We have a video of her here somewhere. She reminds me of someone here on WB. She's in the cooking forum, sells White Box Stoves and cooking books.

"Edited to include info on the WBS from a forum at backpackinglight.com"

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=10448&id=eWGANsbN:98.226.121.35

Gossamer Gear White Box Stove (ordinary windscreen): Took 1’43” to “pressurize (I held the pot above the stove to catch as much heat as I could). Total burn time of 11’40”. Did not reach a boil. Not at all stable. I have a feeling that I got a defective stove (it never gives a nice blue flame like on the website photos) and should have sent it back, but postage from NZ wasn’t really worth the bother. This was also the heaviest of the alcohol stoves in my trial (30g)

edited again to include video for newbies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLVo3-qgVIA&feature=plcp[

Spokes
08-08-2012, 19:55

Hype is good:D sells stoves. The one woman that cabbagehead sent his stove to uses her hypes to sell stoves. We have a video of her here somewhere. ...

Ahh yes, Cindy of SoulSurvivorX2 (YouTube Channel) and the infamous outdoor shower scene....... :). She does some wonderful reviews. I've learned a lot.

zelph
08-08-2012, 22:02
Ahh yes, Cindy of SoulSurvivorX2 (YouTube Channel) and the infamous outdoor shower scene....... :). She does some wonderful reviews. I've learned a lot.

You should do a video review of your Super Cat stoves. Show how to make one. Show us your "spokes" pot supports. Show us what you look like in your backpacking gear. We can learn a lot from you.:)

Spokes
08-08-2012, 22:45
heheheheheee, you crack me up Zelph!

cabbagehead
08-10-2012, 18:07
I make great wb knockoffs.

bottlestoves.com
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL341B8BC75213BC48

zelph
08-11-2012, 00:18
heheheheheee, you crack me up Zelph!

Your avatars crack me up! You're looking younger, more studious, exotica and mysterious.

white box or not to white box that is the question

Well, what say ye dgm? white box or not to white box

cabbagehead
08-11-2012, 14:19
I forgot to post my page with comments.
http://www.facebook.com/BottleStovescom?ref=hl

zelph
08-12-2012, 23:35
dgm

white box or not to white box that is the question

I'll send you a free "Cobalt" stove to play with. I think you'll find it works better than the WBS when you do side by side tests. Buy the WBS and let me send you a free Cobalt just for the fun of it.

rodonne1
09-10-2012, 03:06
Newbie in regards to alcohol stoves here! Would Coleman fuel be considered white gas?

rodonne1
09-10-2012, 03:06
Would Coleman fuel work in an alcohol stove?

Colter
09-10-2012, 05:28
Coleman camp stove fuel in the sqared off can is white gas and cannot be used in an alcohol stove, far too dangerous.

Franco
09-11-2012, 20:05
Rodonne 1
NO
Coleman fuel (white gas/naphtha) burns much hotter than the stuff we call alcohol (Ethanol/Methanol and a mix of the two)
Basically Coleman fuel is a refined version of the stuff you put in you car (you call that gas we call it petrol...)
Franco

rodonne1
09-12-2012, 07:37
OK, I've always used Coleman fuel in my MSR Deagonfly so I wasn't sure if it was the same as the alcohol in alcohol stoves. Thanks guys!

cabbagehead
09-15-2012, 22:38
I've been putting up some videos of people using stoves. This was at the end of a 10 day trip I took recently. I have more videos that I will edit and put up soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ob4A1pe3L8

zelph
09-20-2012, 15:42
Coleman camp stove fuel in the sqared off can is white gas and cannot be used in an alcohol stove, far too dangerous.

There is one alcohol stove out there that will burn Coleman fuel safely. It goes by the name of "Super Stove" first design used budlite beer bottles and then went on to use the venom energy drink bottles. It is now known as the Venom Super Stove. This video shows how to make the stove burn Coleman fuel aka "white gas"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KFjFQr00TE