PDA

View Full Version : Instant coffee with creamer and sweeter all in one

dgm
08-02-2012, 09:12
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png
Is there any instant coffee that has the creme and sugar included. I lugged around coffee hounds along with dry creamer and sugar for me and the wife all through the Nat. Nat Forrest. Looking for lighter alternative.

grayfox
08-02-2012, 09:41
I hesitate to try to answer because coffee is such a personal thing for a lot of people--but...

One thing you might try is the 'international' coffee flavors that come in the metal boxes. Add extra of your favorite instant till you get what you like. I like the chocolate cinnamon one with about 1/4 cup of folgers instant mixed in.

Via is basically just finely gound coffee beans, not like instant brewed coffee that is dried. I don't know where the 'burned' taste comes from--probably from the roasting process but maybe also from the grinding of the beans allowed to create too much heat. You can make your own Via by grinding the coffee yourself being careful to not let it get too warm in the process. I would go to a good coffee shop and pick out a bean that smells good to you and have the shop grind it as fine as they can for you. Then when you make coffee in camp, cowboy style, just remember to not drink the bottom part where the grounds have settled. It is ok to put out the fire, if you have one, with this slurry but otherwise it must be widely broadcast in an area not likely to be used by others. You can mix in nido milk powder and sugar with this ground coffee. Be sure to use it soon as it will lose much flavor quickly as aromatics leave the ground coffee.

russb
08-02-2012, 09:44
For years I have carried a ziploc with instant coffee, sugar and non-dairy creamer mixed together. Works great for me. I used to be a coffee snob, but I have since realized that I really do not care for that expensive brewed stuff.

Rasty
08-02-2012, 09:52
I hesitate to try to answer because coffee is such a personal thing for a lot of people--but...

One thing you might try is the 'international' coffee flavors that come in the metal boxes. Add extra of your favorite instant till you get what you like. I like the chocolate cinnamon one with about 1/4 cup of folgers instant mixed in.

Via is basically just finely gound coffee beans, not like instant brewed coffee that is dried. I don't know where the 'burned' taste comes from--probably from the roasting process but maybe also from the grinding of the beans allowed to create too much heat. You can make your own Via by grinding the coffee yourself being careful to not let it get too warm in the process. I would go to a good coffee shop and pick out a bean that smells good to you and have the shop grind it as fine as they can for you. Then when you make coffee in camp, cowboy style, just remember to not drink the bottom part where the grounds have settled. It is ok to put out the fire, if you have one, with this slurry but otherwise it must be widely broadcast in an area not likely to be used by others. You can mix in nido milk powder and sugar with this ground coffee. Be sure to use it soon as it will lose much flavor quickly as aromatics leave the ground coffee.

Burnt flavor is a characteristic of Starbucks coffee in general. The average Starbucks customer put so much cream and flavorings that Starbucks over roasts the beans to compensate. I love black coffee and cannot drink Starbucks.

Old Hiker
08-02-2012, 10:17
I used to put about 1 envelope of hot cocoa mix per tube of instant coffee: Via, Sanka, whatever. Cream, sweetner and a nice mocha taste. I've found it less expensive to buy a 4-6 oz jar of instant coffee and just use a medium plastic mayo container to mix everything in. i can use as much or little as needed in the mornings.

Lando11
08-02-2012, 10:28
starbucks makes an instant iced coffee that is pre sweetened. i would usually carry powdered milk as well. i havented tried the coffee with hot water, but i dont see why itwouldnt work

adamkrz
08-02-2012, 10:36
I'm a huge fan of dark coffee and love starbucks but cannot drink any coffee frm dunkin donuts, anyway i take starbucks via with me along with powdered milk w/cream from rei, via instant is very concentrated compared to other brands.

surfnturk
08-02-2012, 10:53
If you have a Trader Joes near you they make a great instant coffee w/sweetner,cream. Its cheap too.

kayak karl
08-02-2012, 11:15
don't mind carrying separate. the sugar can be used on oatmeal then.
i thought of combining the creamer and coffee, but that peanut butter/jelly in one jar always makes me re-think it.

Stir Fry
08-02-2012, 11:22
Starbucks Via is one of the best instant coffees that I have had. If you do not like is as strong just use 1/2 a pack. You would just have to experiment with the cream and sugar.

rocketsocks
08-02-2012, 11:34
Burnt flavor is a characteristic of Starbucks coffee in general. The average Starbucks customer put so much cream and flavorings that Starbucks over roasts the beans to compensate. I love black coffee and cannot drink Starbucks.Rasty, I could not agree with you more, 4 bucks coffee sucks....big time! Way to roasted, and burnt on top of that. I've been hearing good things about 4 bucks VIA, been wanting to give it a try.......Now, 5 bucks Lattes, vanilla, 6 pumps EL mediumdo ain't to bad, though still way overpriced.

Tom Murphy
08-02-2012, 12:14
I'm a huge fan of black coffee and love dunkin donuts but cannot drink any coffee from starbucks.

I think the over-roast comment above, which I had never heard before, might explain it.

Ladytrekker
08-02-2012, 13:39
I buy instant Bustelo (expresso) dry milk and sweet and low. 1 tablespoon bustelo, 1 tablespoon dry milk, two sweet n lows that is the ratio. I make enough for several cups. Sugar can be heavy that is why I use the sweet n low its makes a pretty good cup of coffee. I like strong coffee so I prefer the instant expresso.

gearfreak
08-02-2012, 14:21
Here's one option if there's one near you: Trader Joe's (http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=474)

Here's another: Packit Gourmet Vinacafe (http://www.packitgourmet.com/Vietnamese-Vinacafe-Coffee-with-Cream--Sugar.html) or Packit Gourmet G7 (http://www.packitgourmet.com/VietnameseG7Coffee.html)

and here as well: G7 (http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/g7-gourmet-instant-coffee.php)

Slightly heavier alternative for black coffee lovers: Java Juice (http://javajuiceextract.com/index.html)

Rasty
08-02-2012, 17:04
I'm a huge fan of black coffee and love dunkin donuts but cannot drink any coffee from starbucks.

I think the over-roast comment above, which I had never heard before, might explain it.

Over roasting is a common method to hide faults with the beans. French roast typically is started with relativly bland cheap beans and over roasted to produce some flavor. Really high quality beans (Kona, Jamaican Blue Mountain, Sumatran, etc) are rarely more than a medium roast. The medium roast leaves the true flavors of the beans. I did notice that everyone on this thread so far that adds sugar and cream enjoys Starbucks, while the black drinkers don't. I drink a lot of coffee and also spend a fair amount of time tasting different coffees at work. There is a huge difference in quality of beans. At home I roast my own coffee which is great unless you run out because the beans need 48 hours to de-gas after roasting.

mikec
08-02-2012, 17:45
I've found individual packets of coffee/creamer or coffee/creamer/sugar in various dollar stores around where I live (northern VA).

atraildreamer
08-04-2012, 12:16
Tried Starbucks one time...just once! Too-strong, bitter-tasting, overpriced crap! :mad:

myles to go
08-05-2012, 20:52
The new Nescafe 3 in 1 coffee. Awesome!

morgan
08-05-2012, 21:45
I used the Starbuck's iced coffee this summer on a trek at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. It kept us from having to fire up the stove in the morning. I will use this product again on warm weather trips.

If you want hot coffee with the creamer and sugar included I would recommend visiting an oriental food store. I found several brands last winter. The brand I purchased is "Owl 3 in 1 Instant Coffee Mix". It is sweet and creamy, closer to hot chocolate than straight black coffee.

Northern Lights
08-05-2012, 23:30

I'll second that. It must be good my daughter keeps going into my hiking stash and taking them. :(

PD230SOI
08-06-2012, 04:13
we have the 3 in 1s over here, ive been using them for years. Good stuff, but of course you have the little sleeve to carry out with each cup.

I might buy a few brands of instant and try making a blend you like - cheaper, etc.

I do not like the International House stuff -- its just too something.... fake surgery taste.... not sure.

Maddog
08-06-2012, 11:48
I'll be trying these on my next hike! Thanks! Maddog:)

HangEm High
11-10-2012, 22:11
I got some small plastic bags at my local drug store. I asked the pharmacist for them. They hold a spoonful of coffee, creamer and will hold sugar also. I don;t use sugar but these small bags work well. I pre mix as many as I think I'll need for a trip. There light and easy to carry. I always find uses for the empty bags too.

turtle fast
11-11-2012, 00:18
I know coffee very well from all aspects of the trade from plantation to table...or sitting in a shelter or tent (I had imported the stuff). I hands down like the stuff called Mazel that comes in instant packets like Starbucks via. It comes presugared and with creamer and the taste is great (they use Brazilian beans from hen picked producers) and produced in California. They used to be found in Dollar stores and I did see them online too but it is a good product and not as expensive as Starbucks stuff

T-Rx
11-11-2012, 11:17
Nescafé or Tasters Choice individual packets are good IMO. I have tried the Starbucks but prefer the others for taste and price.

SassyWindsor
11-11-2012, 23:31
Lately, I've been carrying the smallest French coffee press along with a generous supply of tea leaf and ground coffee. I'm justifying carrying this stuff by using the press container as a food bowl. drinking cup and storage when packed. I'm the last to add junk I can't justify, so far this is working out good. The quality of the brews are outstanding.

staehpj1
11-12-2012, 09:07
The concept of Nescafe 3 in 1 sounds OK except that I am not crazy about the Nescafe instant in those sticks and it sounds like 3 in 1 has non dairy creamer which to my taste is usually a very poor substitute for cream.

I have some hope that Nido (powdered whole milk) might be pretty good, I have heard good reports. I can never find it in local stores though. I saw it out West when I was on a bicycle tour, but it came in a size way bigger than I was willing to carry. Using it would mean carrying separate sugar, coffee, and creamer though, unless you made up your own premixed packets.

FWIW, I hate Charbucks for multiple reasons including the fact that they burn the coffee in the roasting process and that they have all kinds of "cool lingo" that they expect you to use. I'd rather avoid places where I can't just ask for a large coffee with cream and sugar without them looking at me like I am from Mars. That said I do like Via and also I strangely find that I like the Starbucks beans OK if I fix them at home.

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 17:20
i use coffee singles (the ones like tea bags). i also pre-mix my sugar and creamer before my trips and keep them double-bagged in freezer ziplocks.

colorado_rob
11-12-2012, 18:01
I have some hope that Nido (powdered whole milk) might be pretty good, I have heard good reports. I can never find it in local stores though. I saw it out West when I was on a bicycle tour, but it came in a size way bigger than I was willing to carry. Using it would mean carrying separate sugar, coffee, and creamer though, unless you made up your own premixed packets. If I used cream and sugar in my coffee (I drink it black), I would simply pre-mix Starbucks Via (or other brand) instant coffee powder with sugar and whole-milk Nido in a zip lock.

My wife swears by Nido (but w/o sugar) in her coffee. Nido is found out here in Colorado in stores with significant Hispanic food sections. We buy ours (big cans of it) at Walmarts here in Denver. We love the stuff, very tasty and calorie dense, perfect backpacking food. We pre-mix our dry breakfast cereals w/ Nido (the whole milk variety), add water for a tasty lightweight and nutritious breakfast. We also add Nido to other foods to add calories and taste (like instant puddings, cocoa, Mac and Cheese mixes, etc).

Also; We also love Starbucks Via's. Costco has these significantly cheaper than other places, something like 70 cents a packet (vs. over a buck elsewhere, I think).

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 18:42
My wife swears by Nido (but w/o sugar) in her coffee. Nido is found out here in Colorado in stores with significant Hispanic food sections. We buy ours (big cans of it) at Walmarts here in Denver. We love the stuff, very tasty and calorie dense, perfect backpacking food. We pre-mix our dry breakfast cereals w/ Nido (the whole milk variety), add water for a tasty lightweight and nutritious breakfast. We also add Nido to other foods to add calories and taste (like instant puddings, cocoa, Mac and Cheese mixes, etc).

i have never heard of Nido until you mentioned it. I Google'd it and I think I will try it. Thanks!

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 11:28
A joke in the coffee industry (especially amongst specialty roasters) is that Starbucks buys mediocre beans and burns the beans to mask the flavor. Though I have seen different batches from them for the same product where the flavors vary wildly. Via though tastes better than Nescafe or Folgers if you were not looking for presugared or creamer added stuff. I like drinking fine ground Turkish coffee with cardamom in my pot and traditionally double boiling it while on the trail. It will leave mud on the bottom of your sierra cup but tastes great.

FarmerChef
11-13-2012, 12:25
Over roasting is a common method to hide faults with the beans. French roast typically is started with relativly bland cheap beans and over roasted to produce some flavor. Really high quality beans (Kona, Jamaican Blue Mountain, Sumatran, etc) are rarely more than a medium roast. The medium roast leaves the true flavors of the beans. I did notice that everyone on this thread so far that adds sugar and cream enjoys Starbucks, while the black drinkers don't. I drink a lot of coffee and also spend a fair amount of time tasting different coffees at work. There is a huge difference in quality of beans. At home I roast my own coffee which is great unless you run out because the beans need 48 hours to de-gas after roasting.

Right on Rasty! I also home roast and and Rasty's description of the various beans is spot on. Moreso if you stick to certain varietals (coffee from particular farms in particular regions of the world). I tend to roast (or my wife more accurately) to city or city+ roast (medium) just below second crack or just as second crack is starting. There you can taste the complexities of the flavor. As a result, I can't stand Starbucks coffee. I'm not even sure I could call it french roast since it just plain tastes burnt. To each their own, I suppose.

However, back on topic, I say all of that to say that I have yet to find a way of brewing coffee on the trail that is both lightweight and produces a good cup of coffee. Instead, I've just given in to instant coffee and creamer/sugar. My wife and I prefer different amounts so we don't premix. Plus we always bring extra for other hikers and they may want to mix differently as well. That said, if it was just me or my wife and I could agree on flavor, we'd premix and be done with it. Much easier.

FarmerChef
11-13-2012, 12:29
i have never heard of Nido until you mentioned it. I Google'd it and I think I will try it. Thanks!

I use Nido for milk in recipes that call for it (gravies, puddings, etc.). Out here (Northern VA) we have enough of a Hispanic population that I can buy very large cans in Wal Mart. Sam's though, does not carry it.

Odd Man Out
11-13-2012, 12:33
...they use Brazilian beans from hen picked producers)...

I assume you mean "hen pecked producers" ;-)

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 14:32
Odd man out, yep as sleep posting again. :)
It is good to hear from others that roast beans as well. I drink mine black too normally and it irks me to have that burnt taste, or a moldy taste (i got a batch of Vietnamese beans that was just awful). Apart from the well known coffee producing regions that produce great coffee like Kona, Blue mountain, or Ethiopian Kagumo...many micro producers have increased the quality of their beans...Brazil, El Salvador, and some producers in Indonesia have come to mind. Others have fallen like Haiti, some regions of Kenya, Venezuela and Vietnam just let their quality slip. With world prices falling again and a glut...these folks will be hurting.

Rasty
11-13-2012, 16:33
Odd man out, yep as sleep posting again. :)
It is good to hear from others that roast beans as well. I drink mine black too normally and it irks me to have that burnt taste, or a moldy taste (i got a batch of Vietnamese beans that was just awful). Apart from the well known coffee producing regions that produce great coffee like Kona, Blue mountain, or Ethiopian Kagumo...many micro producers have increased the quality of their beans...Brazil, El Salvador, and some producers in Indonesia have come to mind. Others have fallen like Haiti, some regions of Kenya, Venezuela and Vietnam just let their quality slip. With world prices falling again and a glut...these folks will be hurting.

I just got some Papua New Guinea beans that I need to roast! Should be good.

turtle fast
11-13-2012, 23:30
Its the volcanic soils and altitude that help develop superior beans. I have been waiting to try some beans from Yemen where I hear the coffee is divine. Problem is that with strife there right now and a lot of land production is turned into the production of the mildly narcotic Quat...it may never happen. I do know that Ethiopia has been trying to get a resurgence on quality of beans after many fields were neglected due to poor prices. I had some hard to get Eithiopian Kagumo microlot stuff that was probably the best I ever had.

CenAZwalker
02-16-2013, 15:35
+1 for the Trader Joes instant with cream and sugar. I've tried many, many different types/ways to make coffee on the trail and am quite content with this all in one product.

If you have a Trader Joes near you they make a great instant coffee w/sweetner,cream. Its cheap too.

Blue Mountain Edward
02-16-2013, 21:45
Am going to the dollar store for instant coffee tomorrow. It is way lighter than regular coffee.

Northern Lights
02-16-2013, 23:37
I found a three in one tea as well, I like to have tea as well as coffee. The tea isn't as good but it's tea.

Stir Fry
02-17-2013, 09:27

Try the new Blond rost Via, Similar to Dunkins,