PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 20 degree bag recommendations

Cozy
08-02-2012, 10:32
I am looking for a lightweight 20 degree bag/quilt for a thru hike. I presently have a rectangle synthetic Northface Allegheny 40 degree bag at 2.8 lbs. What I like about the bag is that I don't feel confined and the bag has 2 zippers (one at the feet) so I can unzip the whole bag as a blanket or just unzip the bottom of the bag if my feet get too warm. I like throwing damp socks in the bag and waking up in the AM with dry socks.

However, I need to get a 20 degree bag and would like a lighter bag- possibly down. I don't like to be confined in a mummy bag (I am a side sleeper) but would consider it if I can open it as a quilt and if it gets too cold, use it mummy style to keep warm.

1) Can you still dry damp socks inside a down bag?

2) Anyone have any experience with a Go Lite sleeping bag or quilt? I am looking at a 3 season, 20 degree quilt. The only thing I don't like about the product is that the footbox doesn't open up at all.

2) I looked at Mountain Laurel's synthetic Spirit quilt but it's 2 months backordered. Anyone have this bag and how does it do in 20 degree temps?

Any other recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MuddyWaters
08-02-2012, 11:40
www.enlightenedequipment.com

1) yes you can, but you would be stupid too

Moose2001
08-02-2012, 11:53
Western Mountaineering Ultralight. IMHO, best 20 degree bag on the market.

barf_jay
08-02-2012, 12:03
http://www.golite.com/UltraLite-800-Fill-3-Season-Quilt-Regular-P46821.aspx

garlic08
08-02-2012, 12:03
www.enlightenedequipment.com (http://www.enlightenedequipment.com)

1) yes you can, but you would be stupid too

Definitely look at the quilts here. I just finished a summer trip using one (30F rating and it did very well in damp snow at 30F) and it performed better than any expectations.

Drying clothing in a down bag is pretty risky but it can be done with utmost care, like one pair of socks or a pair of gloves and only in very low relative humidity conditions.

Zippy Morocco
08-03-2012, 01:17
Zpacks has kind of hybrid quilt/bag with 900 power fill. I like the looks of it but have not used it. I use a western Mountaineering ultralight. I really like it too.

leaftye
08-03-2012, 05:22
I've dried clothes successfully by using a vapor barrier. I've never had drier clothes in the morning on the trail. The last time I did it my bag was slightly damp from consecutive moist nights, but dried out by morning.

I have an older Golite quilt. I think it's colder than it should be. Supposedly the current quilts have more down. I do wish that the footbox opened up. I have an EnLIGHTened quilt and love how the foot box opens. I think a footbox that opens is the only way to go if you're financially restricted since it allows the quilt to be suitable for a much wider range of temperatures. EnLIGHTened does synthetic quilts too, but iirc Tim has said he might stop making them since demand is low.

moytoy
08-03-2012, 06:26
Check out zpack for a quilt.http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml
I don't have one but if the price doesn't put you off then his quilts may be the ticket.

Buffalo Skipper
08-03-2012, 11:54
Also look into quilts at HammockGear.com. They make fine quality top quilts for hammocks, but it is just a quilt, and many non-hammockers purchase these as well. The product you ar looking for is called the Burrow, and comes in 0°, 20° or 40° varients; all are made with 900fp down (extremely high quality). For and extra $8 you can add one ounce of overstuffed down, which roughly equates to an extra 5° of rating. Standard for the footbox is snaps (sewn available on request), so you can open it up to use as a blanket. They will also make it in a wider model (preferred for side sleepers) and your choice of colors, inside and out.

I own and use 2 Burrows. The first is a 20° with 1 oz of overstuff (rating it roughly 15°). Remember this is a "comfort" rating. I have been warm in this bag at 20°F, and feel I could camp in temps as low as 10° without having to add additional thermal sleepwear. This quilt weighs 23.4 oz in the stuff sack. I also own a 40° Burrow, with 1 oz of overstuff. My son has this one right now at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. He had it in NC a 6 weeks ago, when the temps dropped to the mid 40s. He refused to use it then because it was too warm. This Burrow is a meager 17.2 oz!

These are not cheap, but when you consider that every quilt is made to order and is of the highest quality imaginable, they are a bargin! Customer service from these folks is off the chart, as well.

http://www.hammockgear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=96b5ae1a85e3927c5d9a11340ad10477

Tom Murphy
08-03-2012, 12:54
I have three MARMOT down bags rated for 40F, 15F, -20F respectively. I am very happy with their performance and weight.

I have two JacksRBetter quilts, Old Rag Mountain and Hudson River. Also very happy with their performance and weight.

Erica Gibson
08-04-2012, 02:30
Many thankshttp://www.50centloseweight.com/jhkh.gif

Cozy
08-05-2012, 18:37
I may have to investigate hammock gear more. I like the fact that you can ask for velcro, snapped, or sewn foot box and their prices are reasonable.

Go Lite has a 50% off sale now and items are coming back in stock. Just not too sure of their actual temperature ratings compared to other companies.

cknight
08-05-2012, 20:55
I have always wished i could find a down quilt, around 7' X 4" no zipper, very thin like one of the nice down sweaters for those 45+ nights. Never the less, cannot beat a western mountaineering.

treesloth
08-05-2012, 21:14
I have always wished i could find a down quilt, around 7' X 4" no zipper, very thin like one of the nice down sweaters for those 45+ nights. Never the less, cannot beat a western mountaineering.

cknight - that's easy. Most cottage manufacturers take custom orders and do order tweaks. Joe and Sheryl from ZPacks made me a quilt with every detail and modification I asked for.

Blissful
08-05-2012, 21:40
I love my Montbell down hugger...

jbsbestfan
08-05-2012, 22:23
I had a WM Sycamore and it is awesome, but I gave to my sister to get a WM Badger 15.. I have tried Big Agnes bags, Kelty bags, and Mountain Hardwear bag. WM is hands down warmer and loftier. I do put my socks and other items in the bottom to dry overnight, but only when they are a little damp, not soaked.

prepcore
08-05-2012, 23:56
I also have to give my endorsement to hammockgear.com. I also own the 20* burrow but mine is made of M50 making it a bit lighter(19.2oz in the stuff sack). They do all kinds of custom work. All you have to do is ask and more than likely you will receive.

Don H
08-06-2012, 08:50
I have a Feathered Friends brand Swallow 20 degree down bag.
I also have two Mont Bell UL Super Spiral bags, a #3 and #5. I am love the MB bags and might just sell the FF Swallow and buy a MB UL SS #1.
http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=796

garlic08
08-06-2012, 09:14

EnLightened Equipment (http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html) made mine to order. Their long slim model is 7'x4' exactly. The 40F version is $175 and weighs 16.5 oz. They might leave off the 12" plastic foot box zipper if you ask them, but I thought it was a nice feature for the weight.

bear bag hanger
08-06-2012, 09:50
I've dried damp socks in my down quilt in the past, didn't seem to cause any problems. I put one sock in each back pocket when going to bed. But as to 20 degree bags, you have to compare loft to see if you'll reach the 20 degree rating. Here is a list of the four recommendations listed above:
Zpacks 2.25 in
Hammock gear 2.5 in
enlightenequip 2.75 in
Western Mtn 5.00 in
Mountain Laurel doesn't have a 20 degree bag, only down to 28 degrees, plus they don't publish their loft (but they do have excellent stuff)
Golite doesn't publish their loft at all. Can't compare them to other brands as a result
These are all good bags/quilts, but the Western Mtn is going to be the warmest, with a 5 in loft. There are other criteria to look at, but I think the actual loft is the most important. One of the things to compare with loft is to see how much down they put into the bag, but it's harder to compare as the above bags have 800, 850 and 900 fill down - not sure what the Western Mtn has in that they use 16 oz of down but seem to get almost twice the fill power of the other brands. I think one reason may be Western Mtn puts more down above the sleeper than the other brands do since putting a lot of down below you is wasted down, it gets compressed by your body. On the other hand, if you sleep in a mummy bag and roll on your stomach, the bag shifts with you and so whats on the "bottom" of the bag becomes more important.

garlic08
08-06-2012, 15:39
Here is a list of the four recommendations listed above:
Zpacks 2.25 in
Hammock gear 2.5 in
enlightenequip 2.75 in
Western Mtn 5.00 in.

You're comparing bags with quilts for loft. I believe bags measure top and bottom combined, which would explain some of the discrepancies.

The Zpacks number is their baffle size, not quite the same as loft (EE has different values for baffle and loft, for instance).

Add price in your comparison, too--WM is over $400, EE is less than $200.

WM uses continuous baffles which allows the user to shift down from top to bottom. This also requires attention occasionally, since down, as light as it is, still obeys gravity and will fall to the bottom whether you want it to or not.

Chubbs4U
08-06-2012, 17:32
The hammockgear ones I have never seen. Looks like great quality, some options I like. Been debating about a quilt, also looking into EE, so well see. Let us know what you go with.

grateful 2
08-06-2012, 18:23
++1 on the super spiral down hugger. I have a lot of bags, and the Montbell is the most comfortable for me - a side sleeper. I also have two different quilts. They are great in a hammock, but the cold air comes in under them when it get real cold. Then it is a LONG night trying not to move while I am sleeping. (I toss and turn every night.) In a tent or in a shelter go with a bag you can zip up allthe way OR unzip.
I love my Montbell down hugger...

Cozy
08-06-2012, 19:40
++1 on the super spiral down hugger. I have a lot of bags, and the Montbell is the most comfortable for me - a side sleeper. I also have two different quilts. They are great in a hammock, but the cold air comes in under them when it get real cold. Then it is a LONG night trying not to move while I am sleeping. (I toss and turn every night.) In a tent or in a shelter go with a bag you can zip up allthe way OR unzip.

I began thinking now about the advantages of having my zipped up bag so I am also investigating Western Mountaineering's Ultralite as well as Feathered Friends bags. My outfitter (who thru hiked the AT) recommended the WM's Ultralite.

I really want a bag under 2 lbs.
Right zipper (although I can adjust).
20 degrees (that is, 20 degrees that has been rated by the industry standard).
Zips all the way to the feet or has a second zipper to open the feet area.

I may not get all those wants in 1 bag but I'm sure I can find one that has most of them.
Thanks everyone. More suggestions/advice welcomed here

LostinAK
08-07-2012, 16:15
Golite is awesome, and just got cheaper ordering through the website

Not Sunshine
08-08-2012, 08:31
I have a 20F golite venture with 800 fill (i think). it's 2 lbs 1 oz. woman's though. love it. however - it's warm and cozy only down to about 33F. I suspect my new mountain engineering 35F bag will be comfortable to about 48-50F. It weighed only 1 lb so I couldn't resist. I suppose for any colder weather, I'd have to buy a liner; but it's rare I can convince friends/family/myself I'll have fun while out at sub-freezing temperatures.

Buffalo Skipper
08-08-2012, 08:47
I also have to give my endorsement to hammockgear.com. I also own the 20* burrow but mine is made of M50 making it a bit lighter(19.2oz in the stuff sack). They do all kinds of custom work. All you have to do is ask and more than likely you will receive.

Very jealous on the M50. My son hammocks and wife is starting to get into it as well. As I buy more gear for them, I will be replacing my gear with HG quilts with M50. Assuming you do not have overstuff in the bag, that is a difference from mine of 5 oz, which is about what Adam suggest it would be. Thanks for the info.

I have a 20F golite venture with 800 fill (i think). it's 2 lbs 1 oz. woman's though. love it. however - it's warm and cozy only down to about 33F. I suspect my new mountain engineering 35F bag will be comfortable to about 48-50F. It weighed only 1 lb so I couldn't resist. I suppose for any colder weather, I'd have to buy a liner; but it's rare I can convince friends/family/myself I'll have fun while out at sub-freezing temperatures.

That is what I like about the Hammock Gear quilts. They advertise what they have concluded is a comfort number. I have had my equivalent 20º quilt down to 21º and was still comfortable. I do feel that with a liner or warmer sleepware, I would have been good down to about 10º. These things are not rated like sleeping bags in the US. You get exactly what you are ordering, a real bargin.

Not Sunshine
08-08-2012, 09:07
yeah....thanks to the recent post about golite, i have spent another $109 on my "birthday" gear. i'm up to $686.08. It's waaaaaaayyy past time to stop. but i'm now the proud owner of a new 26oz tarptent, a 16oz 35F bag, a 6oz golite umbrella (for summer), and a 6oz golite rain jacket (for winter). and i need to do a google search for a online shopper's anonymous group in the greater roanoke area. happy 31 to me!

GEDinLA
08-08-2012, 10:50
I began thinking now about the advantages of having my zipped up bag so I am also investigating Western Mountaineering's Ultralite as well as Feathered Friends bags. My outfitter (who thru hiked the AT) recommended the WM's Ultralite.

I really want a bag under 2 lbs.
Right zipper (although I can adjust).
20 degrees (that is, 20 degrees that has been rated by the industry standard).
Zips all the way to the feet or has a second zipper to open the feet area.

I may not get all those wants in 1 bag but I'm sure I can find one that has most of them.
Thanks everyone. More suggestions/advice welcomed here

Mountain Hardware Phantom 15 may come close to fulfilling your list. EN rating is 15*F, weight is just under 2 lbs for the Regular. Campsaver has "Long" on sale 20% off ($330) w/free shipping: http://www.campsaver.com/phantom-15-sleeping-bag-800-down but I'd guess the weight on this will be a few oz above 2 lbs.

bassbusterfiss
08-08-2012, 10:58
Mont Bell Super Spiral Down, best money i have ever spent. Light weight, Super warm, and you can almost do yoga in the bag because it is designed to stretch and not keep you confined.

TEXMAN
08-09-2012, 11:18
Western Mountaineering Ultralight. IMHO, best 20 degree bag on the market.

I agree >> I hiked thru the Smokies in Feb and slept iwith just underware on in my Western Mountaineering bag >>>others were sleeping in all their clothes and their bags didn't keep them warm

Old Man river

q-tip
08-10-2012, 06:37
WM Alpinlite with overfill, I own 3 WM's, this is the best and most versatile...