PDA

View Full Version : Trying to choose a pack

BDF92
08-02-2012, 12:12
Hey guys, I am just getting into backpacking, having gone on a three day trip in NH earlier this year (and a handful of others last year). I finally have a car and the money to invest in some gear, and am stuck trying to choose a pack. What I want from my pack is to be able to have enough room for virtually all types of trips, from 3 day to 10 day. I am also looking to hike the AT after college, so hopefully this pack would be suited for that.

I have heard very good things about the Osprey Exos 58, and am considering it along with the Kestrel 68. I was at EMS yesterday, and the man there told me that 68 is way too much for any type of hike, and the only time he saw someone use something of that size was when he was carrying hiking, and climbing gear for himself and other people. I really like the idea of having a lot of room so that I will never be limited by my bag, though if I can save space I would like to (I don't want to go 70+).

I am obviously very new so if anyone has any input it would be much appreciated.

RED-DOG
08-02-2012, 12:18
On my Thru this year i used a Mountain Hardwear Dissimer 46 it was plenty of room and very comfortable, but i never carry more than 30 lbs either. RED-DOG

Rocket Jones
08-02-2012, 12:22
Get your sleeping bag/quilt, sleeping pad and tent/tarp/hammock first. Once you get those, then you can get a pack to fit your gear. If your pack is too big, you'll be tempted to fill it "since I have the room", and if too small you'll wind up strapping crap all over the outside where it can get lost without you noticing.

It's a good idea to get fitted for a pack at EMS, and then try on the ones you're interested in. Put weight in them (the store should have sandbags) and walk around wearing it for a while.

Other than that, do your internet research. There's a lot of great packs available, but what's great for one person is a nightmare for someone else if it doesn't fit.

BDF92
08-02-2012, 13:15
Get your sleeping bag/quilt, sleeping pad and tent/tarp/hammock first. Once you get those, then you can get a pack to fit your gear. If your pack is too big, you'll be tempted to fill it "since I have the room", and if too small you'll wind up strapping crap all over the outside where it can get lost without you noticing.

It's a good idea to get fitted for a pack at EMS, and then try on the ones you're interested in. Put weight in them (the store should have sandbags) and walk around wearing it for a while.

Other than that, do your internet research. There's a lot of great packs available, but what's great for one person is a nightmare for someone else if it doesn't fit.

I do have a sleeping bag, pad, and tent (though extremely low end), all I need is a backpack to start hiking. I figure instead of spending 50-80 on a low end pack before i make a larger investment, i make the investment now and put that 80 towards upgrades for my other gear.

Right now I have it narrowed down to pretty much the exos 58, kestrel 68, ULA circuit, and gregory z55.

BDF92
08-02-2012, 15:18
I can't find out how to edit posts, but what I also should add is that I would like the pack to be fair compatible so that I can take it on small 1-2 day hikes and not be carrying a monster behind me.

Buffalo Skipper
08-02-2012, 17:05
To edit posts, you must be a donating member.

I had a ULA Circuit, but gave it to my son when I ordered a custom Circuit. Best pack I have ever worn! Cannot recomend it highly enough.....

Maddog
08-02-2012, 17:20

I had a ULA Circuit, but gave it to my son when I ordered a custom Circuit. Best pack I have ever worn! Cannot recomend it highly enough.....
+1 For ULA! I have the Catalyst and the CDT and am looking to get the woodland camo Circuit soon! Maddog:)

Dash
08-02-2012, 17:39
There quite a few review videos for packs on youtube. I myself decided to go with the "Kelty red cloud 90" 5600cu in. if you have about $200 in your budget.

Maddog
08-02-2012, 17:51
There quite a few review videos for packs on youtube. I myself decided to go with the "Kelty red cloud 90" 5600cu in. if you have about $200 in your budget.
Ouch!!! 6lbs? Maddog:)

RodentWhisperer
08-02-2012, 19:55
Another +1 on ULA-- very well-made, durable, and lightweight.

IMO, you'd find it good to haul all your gear off to the local gear store, stuff it all into each of the backpacks you are considering, and see for yourself which one works best. Best thing about this strategy: you can also test-fit each of the packs and see which is most comfortable once it's fully loaded. I did that the last time I was shopping for a new pack. I put all of my 3-night, 3-season gear (except food, of course; I stuffed my food bag with an old pillow) into the big duffel I use to carry sports gear. It took me about an hour to test my choice packs, but it worked out great in the end.

The sales attendants might look suspicious when you come into their store with a huge duffel fullah gear, but they will feel better if/when you ask for assistance, and then buy something. :-)

Pioneer Spirit
08-02-2012, 21:37

Tell me more about this "custom Circuit" of which you speak. I'm shopping for a Circuit too.

Papa D
08-02-2012, 21:49
Osprey Packs are very popular on the AT - I carry a 50 liter for most 3-season backpacking - for winter trips (more fuel, down jacket, high loft sleeping bag, more clothes, etc.) I carry the 70 liter bag which by today's standard is huge. The Atmos 50 is a wonderful little pack - - I customize mine by cutting all the extra straps, ice axe loops, chest strap, etc. off

Bucho
08-03-2012, 00:38
What I want from my pack is to be able to have enough room for virtually all types of trips, from 3 day to 10 day.
I'm wondering, do you actually go on 10 day trips where you can't resupply? I can't say that I've run into that on the east coast.

For the AT you're probably looking for something around the 3 day range, I'd advise against ever doing a ten day stretch on the AT.

BDF92
08-03-2012, 10:50
How will 58 L hold up in the winter? Will it be enough?

WingedMonkey
08-03-2012, 11:25
I'd advise against ever doing a ten day stretch on the AT.

You don't know what you're missing. Sometime ten days is quite enjoyable, without running to town or a hostel every 3 days.

:sun

Buffalo Skipper
08-03-2012, 11:31
Tell me more about this "custom Circuit" of which you speak. I'm shopping for a Circuit too.

I just went through my pics, but did not have any good photos showing any of the features. I will need to correct that soon.

First, let me state that Chris at ULA does not always do custom work. From what I understand, (Chris if you are reading this, please correct me if I am misstating anything...), he likes to keep "production" flowing; only when orders are slow does he do custom work. He does little custom work on hip belts, only on packs, and again then only when you catch him at a slow time. But check with him. Chris is great to work with.

The pack. I bought a regular Circuit about a year ago. After looking at dozens of packs, I settled on the Circuit as it was the lightest, full-suspension pack I could find, with the features and quality for which I had been searching. It fit amazingly, and I really did like the pack. However, it had one feature I did not like: the back panel, which was made of a non-stretch coarse mesh, which I found abrasive and less functional than I would have otherwise liked. But I would have been glad to use the pack but, we were shopping for a pack for my son for Philmont (he is there now with my old Circuit). We had tried several out, but none were right for him. Finally he tried my Circuit and it fit like a glove. So I contacted ULA and worked up a custom order. Essentially, the new pack is a standard Circuit, but, it has the softer, stretch mesh used on the OHM. ULA had just come out with the Ohm 2.0 (an Ohm with the Circuit, adjustable hip belt), and after consulting with Chris we came up with my pack as the solution. Look at it either as a Circuit with an Ohm back panel, or as a Circuit sized Ohm 2.0.

This, for me, is the perfect pack. In 4 years I have gone from a 45 lb fully loaded to 16 to 18 lbs with food and water. Big difference! Going into a dry camp one night last year, I humped in an extra gallon of water, and it took the extra weight fine. I figure I was around 25 lbs going into camp and left with closer to 20 lbs.

Firefighter503
08-03-2012, 12:21
Another +1 for ULA. I Started with a Deuter 65+10, and loaded it up with as much crap as I could fit into it. It took me a handful of section hikes and the first couple hundred miles to figure out that I could go with a much smaller/lighter pack. I moved to a Catalyst, and then an Ohm 2.0. The Deuter was comfortable. The ULA packs are comfortable and a whole lot lighter. If you don't have a distributer nearby, order and return as necessary. They are great about that kind of thing.

BDF92
08-03-2012, 12:44
Another +1 for ULA. I Started with a Deuter 65+10, and loaded it up with as much crap as I could fit into it. It took me a handful of section hikes and the first couple hundred miles to figure out that I could go with a much smaller/lighter pack. I moved to a Catalyst, and then an Ohm 2.0. The Deuter was comfortable. The ULA packs are comfortable and a whole lot lighter. If you don't have a distributer nearby, order and return as necessary. They are great about that kind of thing.

So after reading all of the responses, extensive research the past few days, and after just getting off the phone with Chris from ULA, I think I'm gonna go ULA. Now, I would have initially though circuit, but Chris recomended the catalyst because I want to be able to do winter hiking. He also said I can strap down the catalyst and make it pretty much the same size as the circuit when it is not fully loaded. I think I'll maybe do another days worth of research, but right now I'm leaning toward the catalyst.

Firefighter503
08-03-2012, 13:26
Great choice. When I originally switched to the ULA, my choices were the Catalyst or the Circuit. I went with the Catalyst because I was worried about not having enough room (coming from a 65 + 10), even though I had loaded it up with my gear in the store. I think you will be real happy with it.

Buffalo Skipper
08-03-2012, 13:59
I went with the Circuit as a way of downsizing. My previous pack was an Aether 70. Great bulletproof pack, but heavy and too big. I can pack all my winter hammock gear/clothing in the Circuit with no problem. Love the pack, and I have yet to run out of space. I could probably use a Ohm for my summer hiking, but it is hard to justify the $200 for 6 oz of savings part of the year. ;)

cabbagehead
08-03-2012, 20:17
a deuter act pack (act zero or act lite)
- adjustability (fits anyone perfectly independent of your height/back)
- can be taken apart and washed in a washing machine
- various sizes from 40 to 65 liters

MuddyWaters
08-03-2012, 20:33
You are going to buy the wrong pack.

Low end means heavy and bulky most of the time.

When you replace that gear with better lighter stuff, you will also want a lighter pack too

You cannot but the one perfect pack that will satisfy you forever. No more than you can buy the one perfect pair of shoes that will do so.

GEDinLA
08-03-2012, 22:03
So after reading all of the responses, extensive research the past few days, and after just getting off the phone with Chris from ULA, I think I'm gonna go ULA. Now, I would have initially though circuit, but Chris recomended the catalyst because I want to be able to do winter hiking. He also said I can strap down the catalyst and make it pretty much the same size as the circuit when it is not fully loaded. I think I'll maybe do another days worth of research, but right now I'm leaning toward the catalyst.

Been looking at the same two packs, comparing side by side, packing and repacking each with my own gear. I find the capacity and comfort of the Catalyst preferrable to the 8 oz less weight of the Circuit. Both are nice packs. The capacity of the Cataylst can be downsized by adding a non-elastic cord across the front mesh pocket (and by using the side compression straps, of course). Same goes for the Circuit but it's a little smaller to begin with so less of an issue. One other thing I found is that even though I have a 31" waist, the M belt is a better fit. The small fits but doesn'tt wrap much around the sides of my hips.

Bucho
08-04-2012, 22:51

Cool, I used the circuit for my thru hike last year. Just remember to stay under the weight limit.

buzz48843
08-05-2012, 21:07
I am also interested in the Circuit. Have any women used this pack and how did it fit?