PDA

View Full Version : Bear activity on Stratton Mtn, VT

Jeff
08-02-2012, 14:44
I got to see photos taken by Capt Blue where a bear tried very hard to get inside the caretakers hut on top Stratton Mtn.

Southern VT usually has little bear activity. A few years ago there was a problem bear near Seth Warner shelter. After a bear box was installed the problem went away.

AT and LT hikers better take extra care with their food this summer.

jakedatc
08-04-2012, 15:46
Bear Box at Seth Warner was locked when i was there July 24th. made no sense at all to have it there and be locked but oh well. I wonder if Jean (Jane?) was home when the bear tried to get in. great lady to say hi to. no bear sightings for me from MA to Stowe so far. or moose :(

Jeff
08-04-2012, 16:11
That bear box at Seth Warner was locked when the bear problems stopped. Before they locked it hikers were dumping trash in there and it became a real mess.

Jennie and Hugh were not present when the bear was on top Stratton. Capt Blue witnessed the whole thing from near the firetower...a little too close for me.

jakedatc
08-04-2012, 17:34
Ya that is not good. they will have to be heads up around there for a while.

Pedaling Fool
08-04-2012, 18:34
Here's the thread (with a pic) by Capt Blue, in case anyone missed it. Curious, what do they stroe in that hut?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86835-Stratton-Mountain-Bear-Sighting&highlight=bear

Driver8
08-04-2012, 19:13
Here's the thread (with a pic) by Capt Blue, in case anyone missed it. Curious, what do they stroe in that hut?

When I was there May 19, Hugh and Jean were very nice and gave me a big slice of apple pie. There's definitely gonna be scraps of food in there, at least. Unless they had taken out the garbage, there could be quite a bit in it.