PDA

View Full Version : ...mouldering privy info...

pawee
08-02-2012, 17:04
....well.....seems like paw and i (maw....i'm posting here) brought home a new "wish" from the trail this year.....we want to construct a mouldering privy on our property!....can anyone recommend resources/info for construction?....(love the privy at upper goose pond cabin!)........thanks!

treesloth
08-02-2012, 17:10
Unless anyone is able to post info off the top of their head, I'd rely on good old Google. I Googled "mouldering privy design" and got a crapload of hits. HUGE pun intended there.

moytoy
08-02-2012, 19:32
http://www.openideo.com/open/how-can-we-improve-sanitation-and-better-manage-human-waste-in-low-income-urban-communities/inspiration/deploy-moldering-privies-to-make-gold-out-of-waste/gallery/moldering-privy.pdf/

yellowsirocco
08-02-2012, 19:58
I talked with someone in the publishing process (editor maybe) of this author and he was well informed on the topic so I can only assume the book is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Composting-Toilet-System-Book-Pollution-Preven/dp/0966678303/ref=la_B002BMHEZE_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343951635&sr=1-1

I have never read this book but It looks like good material if you are wanting a more advanced AMC hut style system.

pawee
08-02-2012, 20:48
thanks, moytoy!.....wow!....an entire manual!.....this will help tremendously!

pawee
08-02-2012, 20:52
....yep....a lot of different "models" out there on the trail......wondering about "composting" vs "mouldering"....seems like mouldering is the least expensive way to go

Smooth & Wasabi
08-02-2012, 22:05
"The Humanure Handbook" by Joe Jenkins is a great read if you are interested in the subject. The author reccomends and uses a cheap homemade cartage system indoors though also shows several designs for other styles many of which are applicable to a privy. We used the indoor cartage system in our cabin in NH and it works great and cost next to nothing. The principle's outlined can be used in any system. These are composting sytems. I am not 100% sure about the semantic difference between composting and mouldering. I think that mouldering systems do not monitor the compost temps to assure thermophylic composting and therefore the product is not agricultural grade and needs to sit longer to take care of most bacteria etc. Do not let the high priced commercial composting units scare you off they are not the only way to "compost".

moytoy
08-02-2012, 22:12
The difference is just what you said. Moldering uses low temp so that live worms and such can live and feed. Where as composting uses high temp. to rot the waste. The advantage of moldering is that much less human intervention in the process and thus is safer. Pros and Cons with both systems.

curtisvowen
08-03-2012, 07:59
http://atfiles.org/files/pdf/atcsanitation.pdf

Try this .pdf
A pound of red wigglers can be bought over the internet for cheap.

RED-DOG
08-03-2012, 09:16
Why on earth would someone want a privy on their property.

tzbrown
08-03-2012, 09:38

Because, in some areas, you can

I built one, that is more of a yard ornament but is functional, if you don't want to go into the house.
It uses a removable bin for waste and a seperate waterpipe.

Also I was inspired to make a better "solar shower" than the ones I had used on the trail.
Really hot water from this one, with only garden hose for a collector on the roof

forrest!
08-03-2012, 09:44

Speaking as someone who volunteers to maintain a moldering privy (Hawk Mt), I can't see building one for fun.

daddytwosticks
08-03-2012, 15:09
Speaking as someone who volunteers to maintain a moldering privy (Hawk Mt), I can't see building one for fun. Good God, you are da man! Thanks for your service. In April of 2010, during the height of thru-hiker season, that privy was so full to the top you couldn't close the lid! It was like a horror show. I don't know how you can do it. Thanks again. :)

Erica Gibson
08-04-2012, 02:28
BUMPShttp://www.50centloseweight.com/jhkh.gif

Hairbear
08-04-2012, 07:44
....well.....seems like paw and i (maw....i'm posting here) brought home a new "wish" from the trail this year.....we want to construct a mouldering privy on our property!....can anyone recommend resources/info for construction?....(love the privy at upper goose pond cabin!)........thanks!a good starting point would be to get an idea of what kind of a volume you will be dealing with.if it is a small amount perhaps some of the cartage methods mentiond by others might be a good thing to investigate before you build.if not too personal could you share why the decision to build your system?

Tinker
08-04-2012, 08:02
Good God, you are da man! Thanks for your service. In April of 2010, during the height of thru-hiker season, that privy was so full to the top you couldn't close the lid! It was like a horror show. I don't know how you can do it. Thanks again. :)

Yet another reason to SOBO. :D

tzbrown
08-04-2012, 09:18
Speaking as someone who volunteers to maintain a moldering privy (Hawk Mt), I can't see building one for fun.

Thanks so much for all of the hard work it takes to maintain those.

Unfortunatly the ones on the trail are usually fouled with trash.
They are also used a whole lot more than one or two people using a privy for a whole year do.
When the waste accumulates so fast it does not get a chance to break down properly and is a real mess to deal with.
In a smaller operation there is very little to do to maintain it, stir occasionally and add duff as used.

cknight
08-05-2012, 20:48
i would thank a moldering privy for personal use would last for every if you made it large enough.

English Stu
08-06-2012, 04:56
The mouldering setup with the red wrigglers is good for making gardening material into leaf mould for the garden mulch.

WingedMonkey
08-06-2012, 08:48
Make use of your friends:

Grinder
08-06-2012, 08:58
the sweetest privy I have seen to date was at Standing Bear Hostel.
I believe the secret was the cedar chip mulch provided. A large bag labeled as "pet bedding" IIRC.

Just saying it doesn't have to be disgusting like most overused trail privies.

Pedaling Fool
08-06-2012, 09:15
the sweetest privy I have seen to date was at Standing Bear Hostel.
I believe the secret was the cedar chip mulch provided. A large bag labeled as "pet bedding" IIRC.

Just saying it doesn't have to be disgusting like most overused trail privies.Also the privies in the Whites are very nice, but they have a person there to attend to them. Regardless of design, the privies at most shelters along the AT are going to be stinky, because regardless of design they all require maintenance and that's just not feasible for most locations. An exasperating factor is the fact that when the bucket of duff (and no way will it be cedar chips) runs out, many "uses" occur before someone refills it.