PDA

View Full Version : Any water at Johns Spring Shelter in VA (mile 700 NOBO)?

QiWiz
08-02-2012, 17:52
The AT Guide lists this shelter as having an "unreliable spring". Was wondering if anyone had been there in the last week or so and could tell me the status of water availability there. Will be section hiking from Trout Creek (VA-620) to Daleville (US-220) next weekend 8/10-12 and would like to "be prepared"
:D

QiWiz
08-13-2012, 10:24
Was there (Johns Spring shelter) on 8/10/12 and no water. Catawba Mtn shelter, Campbell shelter, and Lamberts Meadow shelter had water, but pretty low flow at each. Had to dig a little collection trench inu stream at Lamberts to make it easier to get water.

HikerMom58
08-13-2012, 21:04
Was there (Johns Spring shelter) on 8/10/12 and no water. Catawba Mtn shelter, Campbell shelter, and Lamberts Meadow shelter had water, but pretty low flow at each. Had to dig a little collection trench inu stream at Lamberts to make it easier to get water.

Thanks for posting.. I'm sure someone will find this info helpful... hope you enjoyed your hike and were prepared. I might need to take jugs of water out to Catawba Mtn. shelter soon. The SOBO's will be coming, if they aren't already trickling in.... thanks again. :)

attroll
08-28-2012, 22:52
Moved this thread to the "General" forum.