PDA

View Full Version : Any other pipe smokers on the Trail?

Giantsbane
08-03-2012, 23:12
Just curious if there are any other tobacco pipe smokers out there. I've heard about how people in shelters react to cigarette smokers, but how do people deal with pipe smoke?

Kryptonite
08-03-2012, 23:57
I'm not a smoker, but I personally love the smell of pipe tobacco.

ChinMusic
08-04-2012, 00:17
Tons of em. Some make pipes on the fly.

Bronk
08-04-2012, 02:00
Just curious if there are any other tobacco pipe smokers out there. I've heard about how people in shelters react to cigarette smokers, but how do people deal with pipe smoke?

Pipe smoke is the same as cigarette smoke, or people who fart or snore. If people don't like it then they can set up their tent. If you stay in a shelter you have every right to be kept up until midnite and then be woken back up again at 430 in the morning.

WingedMonkey
08-04-2012, 09:37
Most pipe smokers you run into at shelters smoke the same nasty stuff for tobacco that roll your own smokers do.

Papa D
08-04-2012, 09:54
plenty of pipe smokers out there - certainly less offensive than cigarettes but should be treated the same way - not in shelters and away from others - still not very good for you and not recommended either

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2012, 12:01
with all the lung problems early on with Astma, I avoided all this - I love the smell of tobacco and cigars - just don't understand why you guys don't get winded on the hills.

My only negative issue is seeing cigarette filters on the trail, that burns me up.

Oh and that second hand smoke thing is total BS.

pervy_sage
08-04-2012, 13:16
I agree with Papa D on being treated the same, assuming anyone can agree on what that way is.

Would you like some deja vu with your tobacco in another wrapper?

Smoke is smoke is smoke...except marijuana smoke of course. That's special...so I've heard.

Here is an article about something I wanted to share in the LAST smoking thread. The piney woods aren't as "fresh" as one would think, so I say smoke em if you got em.

http://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/04/q3/0927-trees.htm

P-Train
08-05-2012, 09:17
plenty of pipe smokers out there - certainly less offensive than cigarettes but should be treated the same way - not in shelters and away from others - still not very good for you and not recommended either

Agree. Although I do like the smell from a distance.

Giantsbane
08-06-2012, 16:59
Agree. Although I do like the smell from a distance.

What is usually an acceptable distance that most smokers stand from the shelter? Picnic table? Ten feet? Out of sight?

Hikes in Rain
08-06-2012, 19:50
Downwind is generally fine with me. After all, if it gets too strong, I can move upwind a bit, as well.

ChinMusic
08-06-2012, 22:34
What is usually an acceptable distance that most smokers stand from the shelter? Picnic table? Ten feet? Out of sight?

Down wind. If I can smell it in the shelter area they are in the wrong.

pervy_sage
08-07-2012, 06:58

You should only smoke inside a plastic bag sealed about the neck with duck tape. Pack it in, pack it out. :rolleyes:

Rasty
08-07-2012, 14:24
You should only smoke inside a plastic bag sealed about the neck with duck tape. Pack it in, pack it out. :rolleyes:

It would help save money on cigarettes! Thank you for the suggestion!

One small question - If I asphyxiate myself with your excellent suggestion, am I responsible to pack myself out?:eek:

pervy_sage
08-07-2012, 15:02
It would help save money on cigarettes! Thank you for the suggestion!

One small question - If I asphyxiate myself with your excellent suggestion, am I responsible to pack myself out?:eek:

That is an excellent question.

Let me pull out my pipe and ponder a bit...

...30 yards from a shelter...

...and picnic tables...

...and the fire pit...

...downwind...

...behind a bush...

...ah, it is good to get away from the oppression of civilization and relax for a bit.

Rasty
08-07-2012, 15:11
That is an excellent question.

Let me pull out my pipe and ponder a bit...

...30 yards from a shelter...

...and picnic tables...

...and the fire pit...

...downwind...

...behind a bush...

...ah, it is good to get away from the oppression of civilization and relax for a bit.

So the answer is?

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 15:28
Warning; the general surgeon has determined that smoking around a shelter can have ill & unwanted effects while your sleeping

pervy_sage
08-07-2012, 15:51
So the answer is?

The answer is no, because you will be so well hidden that not even your stank decaying body will bother anyone.

Rasty
08-07-2012, 15:57
The answer is no, because you will be so well hidden that not even your stank decaying body will bother anyone.

OK! That was just slightly creepy. In my mind you had an evil smile while you typed that!

I just smoke downwind.:)

pervy_sage
08-07-2012, 16:19

OK! That was just slightly creepy. In my mind you had an evil smile while you typed that!

I just smoke downwind.:)

Maybe a grin...and only demi-evil.

I smoke pipes and cigars, in moderation, but only sealed in my car or on my back porch. I am afraid of those crass anti smoking zealots...afraid of what I might say to them anyway. I would like to be nice, would love to stay in my happy place, but some folk seem go out of their way to be indignantly righteous.

Serenity Now!

Nope, didn't work. Have a cigar.

Rasty
08-07-2012, 16:27
Maybe a grin...and only demi-evil.

I smoke pipes and cigars, in moderation, but only sealed in my car or on my back porch. I am afraid of those crass anti smoking zealots...afraid of what I might say to them anyway. I would like to be nice, would love to stay in my happy place, but some folk seem go out of their way to be indignantly righteous.

Serenity Now!

Nope, didn't work. Have a cigar.

My dad is always banging his pipe against something to clean it out, maybe try that with the zealots?

ChinMusic
08-07-2012, 17:07
Have a cigar.

You're gonna go far..........

coreybv
08-14-2012, 11:12
. If I can smell it in the shelter area they are in the wrong.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a long distance hiker complaining about somebody else's bad odors? :)

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 11:29
Am I the only one who sees the irony in a long distance hiker complaining about somebody else's bad odors? :)

It would be an irony if both were a choice. Smoking is not a normal bodily process.

pervy_sage
08-14-2012, 11:46
It would be an irony if both were a choice. Smoking is not a normal bodily process.

Nor is the use of perfumes, deodorants, soap, incense, laundry detergents, air "fresheners" or a multitude of other things (including camp fires and iso-butane stoves) likely to be in and around a shelter that give off volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that for some people can be just as unhealthy as tobacco smoke. Your brand new synthetic sleeping bag is probably out-gassing chemicals like crazy. Even supposed "organic" products put out potentially unhealthy VOCs. It is inescapable, which is why your body has mechanisms to eliminate and remediate the bad stuff you may come into contact with.

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 12:12
Nor is the use of perfumes, deodorants, soap, incense, laundry detergents, air "fresheners" or a multitude of other things (including camp fires and iso-butane stoves) likely to be in and around a shelter that give off volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that for some people can be just as unhealthy as tobacco smoke. Your brand new synthetic sleeping bag is probably out-gassing chemicals like crazy. Even supposed "organic" products put out potentially unhealthy VOCs. It is inescapable, which is why your body has mechanisms to eliminate and remediate the bad stuff you may come into contact with.
Agree to a lesser degree on perfumes. But I view your claims on synthetic bags as noxious.

If you don't like a campfire, it is simple, stay away from campfires. To compare that to cigarettes is just foolish.

pervy_sage
08-14-2012, 12:33
Agree to a lesser degree on perfumes. But I view your claims on synthetic bags as noxious.

If you don't like a campfire, it is simple, stay away from campfires. To compare that to cigarettes is just foolish.

Never expressed like or dislike for anything. Only stating a fact of living in a world full of chemical reactions be they man made or natural. If you look back, I think I posted a link to a study on pine trees and what they expel for pollutants.

Every man made material releases various gases post manufacture. What those gases are depends on the process, and the material being made. That is why your new car has a new car smell. Given enough time, the amount of these gases diminish to levels undetectable to our noses, but may still be present. Last I check, synthetic bags are made from synthetic materials. If your bag smells like nothing, then you are lucky and the material has mostly out-gassed.

If you can smell it, then some chemical is floating around in the air you are breathing. What the levels are and if those levels are sufficient to be harmful can only be determined by air quality testing. I would hope people find it obvious that if you stand in a cloud of smoke, it is probably not healthy for you.

Perfumes are specifically made to disperse chemicals into the air to mask other odors, making them more chemically reactive and thus having more potential for doing harm.

And I'm baffled how you find it foolish to compare burning wood (a plant) to burning tobacco (also a plant). Yes, there are slight differences like trees not having nicotine in them, but in general the fumes given off will be rather similar and just as toxic. The campfire will be worse if folks toss in their plastic food wrappers and other synthetic trash.

hikerboy57
08-14-2012, 12:42
not an issue. for the past two weeks i have not heard a single complaint about anyone lighting up near the shelters or otherwise.i would roll up a cigarete, walk away fromthe shelter to light up, and several times, people who didnt smoke told me they had no problem with it if i wanted to sit closer.
again, its nowhere near the issue we make it out to be here on WB. people find a way to get along.at last in the northeast. cant say for down south, havent been there yet.

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 12:45
I think I posted a link to a study on pine trees and what they expel for pollutants.

OMG, I can only take so much.............

pervy_sage
08-14-2012, 13:13
I think I posted a link to a study on pine trees and what they expel for pollutants.

OMG, I can only take so much.............

Calm down, have a smoke.

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 13:34
Calm down, have a smoke.

I have just made a mental note not to bother taking you seriously.

Bringing in "pine trees pollute" in the context of smokers near shelters says it all.

I'll have a Diet Coke (no doubt highly polluting......)

hikerboy57
08-14-2012, 13:37

Bringing in "pine trees pollute" in the context of smokers near shelters says it all.

I'll have a Diet Coke (no doubt highly polluting......)be careful of those artificial sweeteners. the jurys still out you know:)
pour some on the hood of your cr and watch the magic!its gotta be just as good for your body.

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 13:51
be careful of those artificial sweeteners. the jurys still out you know:)
pour some on the hood of your cr and watch the magic!its gotta be just as good for your body.

Just grilled a burger outside. I'm killing the neighbors..............sigh

pervy_sage
08-14-2012, 14:05

I'll have a Diet Coke (no doubt highly polluting......)

I am always serious when it comes to science and reason, which apparently really annoys people.

Not my intention.

My very serious point was that we are swimming in a sea of airborne chemicals, both man made and natural. Fretting over one cig that wanders briefly into ones immediate world, to me, lacks perspective. I would actually worry more about the mold and mouse poo under the shelter than a single person smoking outside the shelter.

Mountaintop
08-14-2012, 14:07
I smoke a pipe and haven't had any complaints from any of the hikers I encounter(ed). It's really just common sense though. Respect other people's space and you will be fine.

ATMountainTime
08-14-2012, 14:45
Im on occasional cigarette smoker, and occasionally do on the trail, escpecially if theres some cold foamy beverage consumption after a long day....i dont smoke in a shelter, nor near others. I tend to go away 30-50 yards. However if i do in my tent, it's my buisness. If you come up on my while I am, I see that ive done my part.

Id expect and hope for the same in shelters but my expirience has been mixed, sometimes there's rowdies smoking the cheeb, drinking etc...if i show some respect, its my hope they will too,

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 15:11
I am always serious when it comes to science and reason, which apparently really annoys people.

Not my intention.

My very serious point was that we are swimming in a sea of airborne chemicals, both man made and natural. Fretting over one cig that wanders briefly into ones immediate world, to me, lacks perspective. I would actually worry more about the mold and mouse poo under the shelter than a single person smoking outside the shelter.

I don't give a crap about the minor risks associated with smelling a cigarette, mouse poo, or a "pine tree".

The former makes ANY enjoyment I might be having at the time to instantly leave. Being that it is a personal choice made by an individual that diminishes my enjoyment, I take it personal. Take your habit elsewhere. If you are smoking and I walk up to YOU, then it is on ME.

I have ZERO problem with people smoking. I DO have a problem of them choosing to do so around me.

It is an enjoyment issue and not a health issue as far as I am concerned.

pervy_sage
08-14-2012, 16:06
I don't give a crap about the minor risks associated with smelling a cigarette, mouse poo, or a "pine tree".

The former makes ANY enjoyment I might be having at the time to instantly leave. Being that it is a personal choice made by an individual that diminishes my enjoyment, I take it personal. Take your habit elsewhere. If you are smoking and I walk up to YOU, then it is on ME.

I have ZERO problem with people smoking. I DO have a problem of them choosing to do so around me.

It is an enjoyment issue and not a health issue as far as I am concerned.

Ok, you just lost all credibility. At least the health argument was a valid concern.

You are essentially stating that aesthetics and your personal enjoyment are what matter, and if it doesn't meet your approval them they should leave. So it follows that if you don't like their clothing, or their laugh, or anything that detracts from YOUR pleasure, then they should be in their way.

Cool, so when someone comes to the shelter in a blazing lime green fleece jacket, I can tell em to hike on because they are offending my senses.

Grow up.

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 16:18
Ok, you just lost all credibility. At least the health argument was a valid concern.

You are essentially stating that aesthetics and your personal enjoyment are what matter, and if it doesn't meet your approval them they should leave. So it follows that if you don't like their clothing, or their laugh, or anything that detracts from YOUR pleasure, then they should be in their way.

Cool, so when someone comes to the shelter in a blazing lime green fleece jacket, I can tell em to hike on because they are offending my senses.

Grow up.

WOW, and you claim to be "logical"

First: Bring polluting pine trees into a discussion about smoking
Second: Bring clothing styles into a discussion about smoking

And I need to "grow up"? Look in a mirror pal.

pervy_sage
08-14-2012, 17:02
WOW, and you claim to be "logical"

First: Bring polluting pine trees into a discussion about smoking
Second: Bring clothing styles into a discussion about smoking

And I need to "grow up"? Look in a mirror pal.

A)Apparently we have different definitions for "logical" which I did not claim. I did claim to be reasonable, which ended the moment your "reasoning" went south.

B) If you read the article I mentioned (from Princeton BTW) instead of dismissing it outright, then maybe you would learn something.

C) You brought up the concept of offending ones sense of smell. I mearly expanded it to the other appropriate senses to demonstrate the limitations of your idea. A test of reason, so to speak.

My mirror looks just fine, and quite reasonable if I do say so myself.

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 17:06
C) You brought up the concept of offending ones sense of smell. I mearly expanded it to the other appropriate senses to demonstrate the limitations of your idea. A test of reason, so to speak.

Yes Perv, yes I did. Intentionally offending another is not a good thing? Is that too hard for you to understand?

I doubt there is another poster on here that has trouble with the concept.

pervy_sage
08-14-2012, 17:19
Yes Perv, yes I did. Intentionally offending another is not a good thing? Is that too hard for you to understand?

I doubt there is another poster on here that has trouble with the concept.

Every other poster is more than happy to "hike on" when their sensibilites are offended. But when someone comes up to me and "blows smoke" in my face, then it is on them what follows. Offending my sense of reason diminishes my enjoyment of these forums, and that is what is important to me.

RED-DOG
08-14-2012, 17:43
I am a smoker and i use top roll your own. If i'm at a shelter and smoking and some one walks up and don't like it its on them to move on or you want like what follows.

ChinMusic
08-14-2012, 18:13
I am a smoker and i use top roll your own. If i'm at a shelter and smoking and some one walks up and don't like it its on them to move on or you want like what follows.

If I walk upon you at some random point on the trail and you are smoking, I say absolutely NOTHING and move on.

If I walk into a shelter and you are smoking, I am offended. If you continue so smoke I just write you off as a jerk, say nothing and move on if I can. I am required to be in the shelter in some areas.

pervy_sage
08-14-2012, 18:19

If I walk upon you at some random point on the trail and you are smoking, I say absolutely NOTHING and move on.

If I walk into a shelter and you are smoking, I am offended. If you continue so smoke I just write you off as a jerk, say nothing and move on if I can. I am required to be in the shelter in some areas.

Match, meet gasoline. Outta here.

rocketsocks
08-14-2012, 18:25
"Once thou hast smelled thine smoke thine is ner' free"

Rasty
08-14-2012, 18:26
"Once thou hast smelled thine smoke thine is ner' free"

Socks can you translate to Southern English

rocketsocks
08-14-2012, 18:32
Socks can you translate to Southern Englishabsolrutery.
"when you smell the black powder, to late, your wanting"

Rasty
08-14-2012, 18:33
Socks can you translate to Southern Englishabsolrutery.
"when you smell the black powder, to late, your wanting"

Very good. Thanks.

rocketsocks
08-14-2012, 18:35
Just curious if there are any other tobacco pipe smokers out there. I've heard about how people in shelters react to cigarette smokers, but how do people deal with pipe smoke?Persconely, I think pipe smoke with it's added perfumes and whatnots, is about as noxious as can be....cigars on the others hand, I enjoy smelling...from afar.

P-Train
08-14-2012, 20:09
Down wind. If I can smell it in the shelter area they are in the wrong.

Ditto. Not something you want to smell when you're in the outdoors.

SunnyWalker
08-28-2012, 22:47
I don't really think its a problem. How do you keep the gooey tar stuff from coming out on your tongue?