PDA

View Full Version : Homeless man living in shelters

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 10:06
Just a "heads up" about a homeless man living on the AT. The local emergency crews are aware of a homeless man living in shelters, bouncing back and forth between Fullhardt Knob Shelter and Wilson Creek Shelter. These shelters are located in Central VA.... just past Daleville VA. I don't have any other details.

Papa D
08-04-2012, 10:30
I would guess that at any given time, there is about 1 homeless person per state "living" in trail shelters. I just ran into a guy at Velvet Rocks Shelter (near Hanover) about 3 weeks ago who fit the bill.

My thoughts are as follows:
There is a fine line between 3 types of people
1)homeless person (homeless due to circumstance)
2) a long-distance hiker (often temporarily homeless by choice)
3) A HOBO (who unlike a bum is someone who travels, will work for a while, and travel some more). The word origin is "HOmewardBOound -
We have NOBOS, SOBOS, HOBOS, and Section Hikers - - I'm not really sure that it is fair to judge someone's shelter use by what category they fit in.

If the shelter is being used as a place to sleep and "seek shelter" for a night or two and then that user moves on to another shelter and that person is respectful of other shelter users, then he / she really shouldn't be objectionable in my book unless they are violating acceptable use and respect standards that the backpacking community has established by practice (i.e. - no fire building in shelters, no pitching tents and tarps in shelters, no smoking in shelters, etc.). I think sometimes we are quick use people's social statusas a way to discriminate against them when what they are doing really isn't much different than what we are doing.

Just because someone smells, is drinking liquor, has worn out gear, or might be yellow blazing up and down the trail isn't a reason to call "emergency crews." This behavior could easily be applied to a bunch of thru-hikers.
If that person is harassing others, living in the shelter for more than a week at a time, keeping others out, or engaging in some criminal activity, then it's a different story and at THAT point, you have a PROBLEM PERSON who is not playing by the rules.

The trick (the fine line) is determining the difference without being discriminatory and I agree that it is hard but giving someone the initial benefit of the doubt is also the fair thing to do even if he / she doesn't look like YOU think a backpacker should.

SawnieRobertson
08-04-2012, 10:35
How would they know? Did this male/female exhibit anti-social behaviors? Is there a vagrancy rule that has been broken? Where is the line that determines whether a person on the trail is an undesirable or desirable? I would have a different reaction if scary behaviors were reported. And, yeah, it is anxiety producing to come across someone who doesn't look like he/she should be there legitimately. I might add especially in that region. "Homeless" must mean something more than without a verifiable address (in case the local authorities do a check).

nitegaunt
08-04-2012, 10:36
I would guess that at any given time, there is about 1 homeless person per state "living" in trail shelters. I just ran into a guy at Velvet Rocks Shelter (near Hanover) about 3 weeks ago who fit the bill.

My thoughts are as follows:
There is a fine line between 3 types of people
1)homeless person (homeless due to circumstance)
2) a long-distance hiker (often temporarily homeless by choice)
3) A HOBO (who unlike a bum is someone who travels, will work for a while, and travel some more). The word origin is "HOmewardBOound -
We have NOBOS, SOBOS, HOBOS, and Section Hikers - - I'm not really sure that it is fair to judge someone's shelter use by what category they fit in.

If the shelter is being used as a place to sleep and "seek shelter" for a night or two and then that user moves on to another shelter and that person is respectful of other shelter users, then he / she really shouldn't be objectionable in my book unless they are violating acceptable use and respect standards that the backpacking community has established by practice (i.e. - no fire building in shelters, no pitching tents and tarps in shelters, no smoking in shelters, etc.). I think sometimes we are quick use people's social statusas a way to discriminate against them when what they are doing really isn't much different than what we are doing.

Just because someone smells, is drinking liquor, has worn out gear, or might be yellow blazing up and down the trail isn't a reason to call "emergency crews." This behavior could easily be applied to a bunch of thru-hikers.
If that person is harassing others, living in the shelter for more than a week at a time, keeping others out, or engaging in some criminal activity, then it's a different story and at THAT point, you have a PROBLEM PERSON who is not playing by the rules.

The trick (the fine line) is determining the difference without being discriminatory and I agree that it is hard but giving someone the initial benefit of the doubt is also the fair thing to do even if he / she doesn't look like YOU think a backpacker should.

Very well put, Papa D.

RED-DOG
08-04-2012, 10:49
This is nothing new; Homeless people have been living in AT shelters for years, I run in to Homeless people every single time i go out their, i even gave a couple of people food one in VA and another in NY. They don't cause any problems their just trying to survive. RED-DOG

Spokes
08-04-2012, 10:51
Trail maintenance crew should put a shovel in his hand and let him earn some points.......

Papa D
08-04-2012, 10:54
Truthfully, If I suddenly became homeless, that is exactly where I would be. I would try to get a temporary construction, guiding, or hostel job to get enough cash to stay on the trail for a month or so. Moving back and forth in the same hundred mile section might keep me close to work. I'd much rather camp in the woods than in a cardboard box on a city street. I can't think of a thing in the world wrong with this. Now, once again, if I am violating trail respect and shelter use practices only then should I be called out for it.

Papa D
08-04-2012, 10:55
Trail maintenance crew should put a shovel in his hand and let him earn some points.......

nothing wrong with this for any hiker

Zippy Morocco
08-04-2012, 10:55
I like what I'm hearing. I certainly plan on being homeless for my 2013 hike. I am thankful that I can stop being homeless If I choose. We are not all so lucky.

Pedaling Fool
08-04-2012, 11:02
No heads-up needed, they're always out there.

I would also ask that the trail maintenance crews have him remove all the rocks from the trail.

Gray Blazer
08-04-2012, 11:04
Welcome to the AT.

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2012, 11:52
I am with Papa D on this one....I have seen tent cites in the woods all over New Jersey and Pennsylvania. folks that lost homes and cars to for-closure. The press will not show it and the mayor of Philadelphia has moved the bread and food lines away from the tourists areas like the convention center so people don't thing the economy is as bad as it is. People are sleeping in their cars, if they have them. The men's shelter had a major makeover in 2010 to accommodate more men - and gets repeatedly infested with bed bugs. My job takes me to these places, its sad really. If you are aware - you will see it - some have rose colored glasses. I am just thankful for having a job that really is recession/depression proof.

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 11:54
I hear ya ... I agree with you all and the points you are making. All I know is this... we have a good friend that works for local emergency services, here, in the Roanoke VA area. He told us that there is a homeless man living in the shelters, of which I just named above. They KNOW he's there and they KNOW the shelters he is staying in.... he goes back and forth between the 2 shelters. He didn't give us any more information about why they are calling him homeless. I also know that there was another woman living in the Fullhardt Knob Shelter going by the name "Queen Mary". Her conversations seemed odd, like she was stuck in another world, but other than that she seem harmless. Again, everyone that talked with her and interacted with her was VERY SURE that she had taken up residence in the shelter, itself. I don't think she is still living there at this time.

It is what it is.....if I get more information about the situation, I will pass this information on ..... I would be grateful, if I were hiking through this area, for this information, so I wouldn't be surprised by something that appears to be "out of the norm". It's what I do...:) I'm also grateful for ALL the collective knowledge that is shared on this site.. love me some WB :)

Moose2001
08-04-2012, 12:05
Just a "heads up" about a homeless man living on the AT. The local emergency crews are aware of a homeless man living in shelters, bouncing back and forth between Fullhardt Knob Shelter and Wilson Creek Shelter. These shelters are located in Central VA.... just past Daleville VA. I don't have any other details.

Yeah....there but for the grace of God, and maybe some good luck, go a whole bunch of us! In these times, I wouldn't want to try to judge someone else for their position in life.

Rasty
08-04-2012, 12:13

Yeah....there but for the grace of God, and maybe some good luck, go a whole bunch of us! In these times, I wouldn't want to try to judge someone else for their position in life.

Most of the world is one or two pay checks from the same position. Small tent cities all around the country just out of sight from the roads. If I had to choose between living in a tent or a homeless shelter I would go camping.

coach lou
08-04-2012, 12:27

6', redish hair, slim build.......'K'taadn or bust' sign...around his neck?

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 12:29
I think we should all be FB friends as well. ... WOOT!! Then, we could make comments easier and "like" comments etc... if I started a FB page for "hikers" would you all join it? But, you can only "join" the page, if you are a REAL hiker! ;) <3

WingedMonkey
08-04-2012, 12:39
This same subject was beat to death by some of the same scared people two years ago:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?62098-homeless-on-the-trail

Rasty
08-04-2012, 12:39
I think we should all be FB friends as well. ... WOOT!! Then, we could make comments easier and "like" comments etc... if I started a FB page for "hikers" would you all join it? But, you can only "join" the page, if you are a REAL hiker! ;) <3

I haven't determined if I'm a "Real Hiker" yet. By the way what's this Facebook thing? :confused:

scree
08-04-2012, 12:51
This is why my pack weighs so much sometimes - extra food for the people I meet who need it.

Oooh scary... a homeless person living on the trail. Jesus H. Christ...

Rasty
08-04-2012, 12:55
This is why my pack weighs so much sometimes - extra food for the people I meet who need it.

Oooh scary... a homeless person living on the trail. Jesus H. Christ...

I think Jesus was homeless for a time period. Must have been between carpentry jobs.

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 12:58
First of all, I didn't post this info to SCARE anyone or to "BEAT to DEATH" a thread on homeless peeps living in shelters. It was just "real time" info that I heard about that I thought might be HELPFUL to anyone concerned.... PERIOD. Can you tell I'm a little MIFFED? Yeah, I AM... dang it!! You may think it was unnecessary or WHATEVER but please don't piss me off with YOUR unnecessary comments. I'm done, now... I feel better. :)

Yes, I think it would be fun to start a "friends of WB"- FB page so we can all be friends on there as well. Haha!! Is anyone IN?

TD55
08-04-2012, 13:01
I I also know that there was another woman living in the Fullhardt Knob Shelter going by the name "Queen Mary". Her conversations seemed odd, like she was stuck in another world, but other than that she seem harmless. Again, everyone that talked with her and interacted with her was VERY SURE that she had taken up residence in the shelter, itself. I don't think she is still living there at this time.
:)
She used to maintain a camp downhill from the shelter. I met her there in '01. Looked for her in '05 but she must have been out and about and didn't get to talk to her. Think she has been around for a very long time. Glad to here she is still hanging out.

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 13:41
TD55 - I DON'T think she is hanging out anymore. Cool that you met her tho. :) You meet all kinds of peole on the trail... it's interesting isn't it? You "meet" all kinds of people on this site too. I seriously would rather spend the night with a homeless person, in a shelter, than the likes of some of these folks on here... they are the SCAREY ones... just sayin....

WingedMonkey
08-04-2012, 13:47
Can you tell I'm a little MIFFED? WHATEVER but please don't piss me off

I think they have medication for that.

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 13:49
Tent city's are nothing new, and people have been put out, and in fact started out away from society, and only came together as a means of necessity for water,work and goods. I came across this photo while junqueing one Sat afternoon..."It spoke to me"....volumes!16941

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 13:54
TD55 - I DON'T think she is hanging out anymore. Cool that you met her tho. :) You meet all kinds of peole on the trail... it's interesting isn't it? You "meet" all kinds of people on this site too. I seriously would rather spend the night with a homeless person, in a shelter, than the likes of some of these folks on here... they are the SCAREY ones... just sayin....Oh heck yeah.....true that!

Rasty
08-04-2012, 14:05
Rocket - Is that you sitting on the keg?

Tent city's are nothing new, and people have been put out, and in fact started out away from society, and only came together as a means of necessity for water,work and goods. I came across this photo while junqueing one Sat afternoon..."It spoke to me"....volumes!16941

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2012, 14:11
Naa Facebook is highly overrated - they just admitted to millions of fake accounts from third world countries.... No owls over there - no worries - no miffed.

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 14:14
WingedMonkey... I offically don't like you!!! I receieved a PM from someone, on here, WARNING me about people like you, on this site. No names were dropped but now I KNOW who she was talking about.... MAN, GO HOME!!! Most people, on here, are COOL and funny but some are arses and ,YOU, WingedMonkey are .... well, there are NO WORDS for YOU. I'm sure you really don't care what I think of you and you even might get some kind of weird pleasure out of my comments about you. I wish you could "block" people on here... sorry to be "so ugly" towards you....

Moose2001
08-04-2012, 14:43
Most people, on here, are COOL and funny but some are arses

Makes me think of an old saying....."Takes one to know one"

WingedMonkey
08-04-2012, 14:45
There is a Block function on WB if you need one.
Go to "Odds and Ends" at top of page, then go to "User CP". Then go to "My Settings" and "My Account"
Then use you "Edit Ignore List" function.

TD55
08-04-2012, 14:57
I think Jesus was homeless for a time period. Must have been between carpentry jobs.
Don't know if he is hiking the trail right now, but his rep's are all over the place.

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 15:04
Ok... you guys WIN... I'm done... I will never post anything on here again....I'm not going to block anyone either. I can see, now, who OWNS this site... Congrats to you!! You all can have FUN!!

TD55
08-04-2012, 15:11
Yikes! So are we allowed to have fun or not allowed to have fun? I mean, heck, we are stuck on keyboards on a Saturday in August for whatever reason and can't be out hiking.

Rasty
08-04-2012, 15:16
Ok... you guys WIN... I'm done... I will never post anything on here again....I'm not going to block anyone either. I can see, now, who OWNS this site... Congrats to you!! You all can have FUN!!

It's difficult when everyone doesn't agree with your bias of a homeless people. You offered no evidence that this gentleman had done anything to anyone except walk and camp between two different shelters. I'm assuming that you just don't want to have to view the unwashed of society. I would rather camp with the homeless person than a judgemental person such as you. Your assumption that all homeless people are dangerous caused everyone else to view this post as ridiculous and everyone proceeded with step two which is to continue the joke. I would suggest you open your eyes a little more. Not everyone fits your acceptable list, but they are still people. You and I are only a few mistakes or accidents away from being in the same situation.

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 15:25
I wasn't judging the homeless person at all... the SCAREY comment came up because dumb asses unjustly accused me of making this a SCAREY post. And YES, I'm sorry but "sleeping with" people you don't know is in my opinion living on the edge, somewhat. THAT is NOT making judgement calls on hikers OR -homeless people... it is what it is.... You guys all have a KNOW-IT-ALL attitude and YOU jump to conclusions yourself. SO you just keep being yourselves and YOU can have this site ALL to yourselves.

TD55
08-04-2012, 15:30
Well it's a shame that you think you have to leave the site HikerMomKD. I'm sure we can learn something from you and you can learn from us.

Rasty
08-04-2012, 15:31
I wasn't judging the homeless person at all... the SCAREY comment came up because dumb asses unjustly accused me of making this a SCAREY post. And YES, I'm sorry but "sleeping with" people you don't know is in my opinion living on the edge, somewhat. THAT is NOT making judgement calls on hikers OR -homeless people... it is what it is.... You guys all have a KNOW-IT-ALL attitude and YOU jump to conclusions yourself. SO you just keep being yourselves and YOU can have this site ALL to yourselves.

Sleeping at a trail shelter almost guaratees sleeping in the presence of strangers. It's a public shelter. Are you asking that shelter should be reservable? Anyone that is uncomfortable around strangers should use a tent.

TD55
08-04-2012, 15:40
You are just hitting the wrong button HikerMomKD. Homeless folks got as much right as anyone to be on the trail. They are not scary. Just folks without homes who want to spend some time in the woods and on the trail.

English Stu
08-04-2012, 15:41
Came across this twice in my 700 ml section hike in 2004. I just found it unsettling, as often these people move less and less and get to feeling ownership of the shelters they are using i.e `Oh someones going to stop and I'll have to move my gear' and then they are eyeing your food and gear. One guy had been moved on from the Partnership shelter by the Ranger.The shelter shower was the attraction there. There isn't a problem if they keep moving up the trail.

JohnWayne
08-04-2012, 15:45

Women sometimes view the homeless a little differently. Stay put. The good outweigh the bad and some are just having a little fun with ya. In one topic you've gone from wanting S'Mores on Facebook to wanting to leave. Site will look better in the morning.

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 16:57
I was TOTALLY being UNFAIRLY JUDGED here... I'm still in SHOCK.... The RUDE comments aren't just having a lil fun, at my expense. They bordered more on HATE. These dudes are out for BLOOD. I appreciate any understanding here. Thanks!! I didn't get why I was getting "jumped on" until one person said something about me judging homeless people. Then and only then did the "light bulb" come on...OH MY GOSH!! Some people on here owe me a HUGE apology. I will start by saying, I'm sorry for anything that I said out of HURT. I was CLUELESS...

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 17:04
Yo HikermomKD, no problems here, I just kinda figured your post was a heads up about the possibility of yet another hiker, that really wasn't using the trail in a traditional way (hiking and moving in a direction smartly forward), nothing more....nothing has happened in this thread that can't be fixed or just simply overlooked, not really a big deal mom, hang out, chill, it's all good! really it is. And thanks for posting. Now if the thread was about the social aspects of blah blah blah, then yeah you could expect some opinions, but it wasn't....so all's well and the universe has been reset to spin again.:)

Rasty
08-04-2012, 17:09
HikerMomKD - Read the entire thread again. Winged Monkey stated that this subject had been beaten to death before. I don't understand the need to make people aware that certain types of people are using the trail. Change the word homeless peson to any other "type" of person and you will see the problem with your statement. Your giving warning about someone who had done nothing wrong, which makes you wrong. I'm not trying to be an jerk, but really think your wrong. Now let's get past this and have a drink at Hikerboy57's Cafe, where the water is always filtered and the mashed potato vending machine hasn't been repossed yet!:)

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 17:11
Rocket - Is that you sitting on the keg?No, you can't really see me in this shot, I'm behind the pyramid kicking a whole in the ground in preparation for a healthy dump...I think:D

Rasty
08-04-2012, 17:18
Rocket - Is that you sitting on the keg?No, you can't really see me in this shot, I'm behind the pyramid kicking a whole in the ground in preparation for a healthy dump...I think:D

What's the keg filled with? Maybe some Tennessee Whiskey or Water filtered with a SILWF?

silverscuba22
08-04-2012, 17:31
. And YES, I'm sorry but "sleeping with" people you don't know is in my opinion living on the edge, somewhat.

Im trying to think of a night that i DIDNT sleep with or near someone i didnt know........ have you been on the AT before ??? AT hiking might not be for you lol

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 17:32
What's the keg filled with? Maybe some Tennessee Whiskey or Water filtered with a SILWF?Trad.....Beer or root beer, probably couldn't afford Nancy Whiskey....maybe some homemade apple jack though?

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 17:34
Im trying to think of a night that i DIDNT sleep with or near someone i didnt know........ have you been on the AT before ??? AT hiking might not be for you lolThis is why I tent, I would not want to sleep with a stranger either....eh, it's a thing!

silverscuba22
08-04-2012, 17:42
This is why I tent, I would not want to sleep with a stranger either....eh, it's a thing!

i stayed in a tent too, but there was always someone within a 20 feet or so that i didnt know......i will say it was weird how being in the tent made me feel "safe" like no one or anything could get in.... i guess i failed to realise at the time that pointy stick could of made it in lol

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 18:05
I DID NOTHING WRONG. If I have to carefully word my threads to meet YOUR standards and cause judgement NOT to fall then... I don't need this site. I was NOT warning people in a BAD way... I NEVER said watch out or this person could be dangerous OR ANYTHING like that. If you look at the thread you will even see that I stated my reason for the post... SO THAT NO ONE might be SURPRISED is the word I used.... It was pissing me off that everyone was crapping all over my thread and I honestly had NO CLUE as to WHY. If I can't feel comfortable here, I will leave AND it's been brought to my attention that I will NOT be the first or the LAST person to feel this same way... I've BEEN WARNED. SO... I think it's HIGH time that people on here take a LONG HARD LOOK at THEMSELVES and ask them if they like how their behavior is working for THEM.. Can you say BULLIES? Oh ... I think you can!! There are HOMELESS people and IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING... I met a homeless person at McAFEE KNOB and took him to eat and paid for his dinner at the HOMEPLACE. He was using the trail as his home and it was "verified" by Harper's Ferry...they already had him in their system. So I had already been a trail angel to a YES... sorry to upset you for using the word- HOMELESS PERSON. THis is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2012, 18:11
I was TOTALLY being UNFAIRLY JUDGED here... I'm still in SHOCK.... The RUDE comments aren't just having a lil fun, at my expense. They bordered more on HATE. These dudes are out for BLOOD. I appreciate any understanding here. Thanks!! I didn't get why I was getting "jumped on" until one person said something about me judging homeless people. Then and only then did the "light bulb" come on...OH MY GOSH!! Some people on here owe me a HUGE apology. I will start by saying, I'm sorry for anything that I said out of HURT. I was CLUELESS...

Im trying to think of a night that i DIDNT sleep with or near someone i didnt know........ have you been on the AT before ??? AT hiking might not be for you lol

HikerMom, I wasn't going to comment either way at first, but I think I agree with you. It seems like an especially tough crowd today, I'd blame it on the heat...

One of the basic rules of the Internet is that it's very easy for people to write things that are more offensive than they realize, it's best to take it all with a grain of salt.

I can tell you from experience that the folks I've met from the site are almost all much nicer in person than our internet personas would lead you to believe.

TD55
08-04-2012, 18:15
:datz:datz:datz:datz:datzWe can only do this for a limited time before we get a headache:D

Velvet Gooch
08-04-2012, 18:15
I DID NOTHING WRONG.

You're not wearing the required uniform

Maddog
08-04-2012, 18:19
:datz:datz:datz:datz:datzWe can only do this for a limited time before we get a headache:D
LOL!!! Maddog:D

Pedaling Fool
08-04-2012, 18:20
This is why I tent, I would not want to sleep with a stranger either....eh, it's a thing!Strangers are the best to sleep with; no strings...:)

I DID NOTHING WRONG. If I have to carefully word my threads to meet YOUR standards and cause judgement NOT to fall then... I don't need this site. I was NOT warning people in a BAD way... I NEVER said watch out or this person could be dangerous OR ANYTHING like that. If you look at the thread you will even see that I stated my reason for the post... SO THAT NO ONE might be SURPRISED is the word I used.... It was pissing me off that everyone was crapping all over my thread and I honestly had NO CLUE as to WHY. If I can't feel comfortable here, I will leave AND it's been brought to my attention that I will NOT be the first or the LAST person to feel this same way... I've BEEN WARNED. SO... I think it's HIGH time that people on here take a LONG HARD LOOK at THEMSELVES and ask them if they like how their behavior is working for THEM.. Can you say BULLIES? Oh ... I think you can!! There are HOMELESS people and IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING... I met a homeless person at McAFEE KNOB and took him to eat and paid for his dinner at the HOMEPLACE. He was using the trail as his home and it was "verified" by Harper's Ferry...they already had him in their system. So I had already been a trail angel to a YES... sorry to upset you for using the word- HOMELESS PERSON. THis is UNBELIEVABLE!!!Hikermom, it's just best to realize that everyone on here is a complete ass hole. Once you realize that you won't take anything too personal... life if good ;)

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2012, 18:22
I don't have an opinion either way VG and the uniform is off base, I have made it clear in the past I am not a FB kind of guy. I frequently give a pass to new members as they might be new to being on a blog.

I have made it clear that over and over again people come to WB to talk about their fears - its a re-occurring psychological undertone.... I wasn't even going to bring that up until I saw your post.

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2012, 18:23
You're not wearing the required uniform

Has W.O.O. seen that link yet? [Edit: I guess he has...]

Make sure to pair it with the proper sleeping bag:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/bb2e/

TD55
08-04-2012, 18:35
What the heck did somebody say to set HikerMom off? I hope it weren't me.

Rasty
08-04-2012, 18:39

It was me! Sorry!

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2012, 18:40
Who knows?
Happens every time someone brings up a homeless person at..... https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR92uLNpVUgmNvccAsjYZnFi_rL2-8uoPB-5UdF_qRPkvOoGKZgtw

TD55
08-04-2012, 18:44
It's difficult when everyone doesn't agree with your bias of a homeless people. You offered no evidence that this gentleman had done anything to anyone except walk and camp between two different shelters. I'm assuming that you just don't want to have to view the unwashed of society. I would rather camp with the homeless person than a judgemental person such as you. Your assumption that all homeless people are dangerous caused everyone else to view this post as ridiculous and everyone proceeded with step two which is to continue the joke. I would suggest you open your eyes a little more. Not everyone fits your acceptable list, but they are still people. You and I are only a few mistakes or accidents away from being in the same situation.
Was it this one? What the heck is wrong with this one?

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2012, 18:46

Re-read the first couple pages, it's the same that always happens on message boards. Some people are able to respond respectfully to posts that they disagree with (such as Papa D's well thought out response), others can't seem to reply without throwing in a jab or making fun of the person for daring post something that they didn't agree with.

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2012, 18:47
Yea and I thought rastraikis made a good point... well written and thoughtful.

TD55
08-04-2012, 18:48
I hear ya ... I agree with you all and the points you are making. All I know is this... we have a good friend that works for local emergency services, here, in the Roanoke VA area. He told us that there is a homeless man living in the shelters, of which I just named above. They KNOW he's there and they KNOW the shelters he is staying in.... he goes back and forth between the 2 shelters. He didn't give us any more information about why they are calling him homeless. I also know that there was another woman living in the Fullhardt Knob Shelter going by the name "Queen Mary". Her conversations seemed odd, like she was stuck in another world, but other than that she seem harmless. Again, everyone that talked with her and interacted with her was VERY SURE that she had taken up residence in the shelter, itself. I don't think she is still living there at this time.

It is what it is.....if I get more information about the situation, I will pass this information on ..... I would be grateful, if I were hiking through this area, for this information, so I wouldn't be surprised by something that appears to be "out of the norm". It's what I do...:) I'm also grateful for ALL the collective knowledge that is shared on this site.. love me some WB :)
This is the one that is offensive.

kayak karl
08-04-2012, 18:52
maybe we should put bear bells on the "homeless" so we don't get "surprised" :(

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 18:52
Who knows?
Happens every time someone brings up a homeless person at..... https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR92uLNpVUgmNvccAsjYZnFi_rL2-8uoPB-5UdF_qRPkvOoGKZgtw
I think when a can of worms gets opened...it's best for all to go fishing...together!

Lone Wolf
08-04-2012, 18:56

queen mary has been out there in that area well over 10 years. this so-called "homeless" guy has every right to be there too. it's national forest. leave him alone. and what exactly are "emergency services"?

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2012, 18:57
I think when a can of worms gets opened...it's best for all to go fishing...together!

Now there's the best advice I've read on the site this week!

johnnybgood
08-04-2012, 19:04
Why on earth is this an issue ? Unless he proves to be a danger to himself or others , then live and let live.

HikerMom58
08-04-2012, 19:11
It is not an issue... everybody just made it one... rastraikis.. is the one that insulted me. I was getting over it until he told me it was STILL my fault.

TD55
08-04-2012, 19:20
By what authority do you deem yourself to be responsible for collecting gossip and information (factual or not) on persons on the AT that have not created or been accused breaking any law or being a threat to anyone and using it to "warn", "give a heads up", etc. through the internet or anywhere else?

silverscuba22
08-04-2012, 19:24
It is not an issue... everybody just made it one... rastraikis.. is the one that insulted me. I was getting over it until he told me it was STILL my fault.

That would be becuase it is your fault....

Velvet Gooch
08-04-2012, 19:26
Mr. Raccoon, Mr. Raccoon, can't you play with me somehow? No, I can't; I'm eating dinner now. What's for dinner? I want some. I am eating pickled plums. Can I have a little crumb? Don't be such a greedy bum—get your own

Rasty
08-04-2012, 19:54

I wont apologize for calling out your bias. Change the word "Homeless" with anything else and you would be a bigot. Just because you take it as an insult is not my problem. Would you start a thread with "Be aware that we have (Take your pick of ethnic group)"? I would guess you would'nt, but the homeless person that has not done anything wrong is open game to point out. Sometimes only one party needs to apologize!

Supreme Being
08-04-2012, 20:12
I don't think the OP meant any harm. Guys, ask your wives if they would feel uncomfortable sleeping next to a homeless man at one of the AT shelters. Many would. We don't think about it in the least, but they might. We're all a$$holes; let's chill and get along.

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 20:19
I don't think the OP meant any harm. Guys, ask your wives if they would feel uncomfortable sleeping next to a homeless man at one of the AT shelters. Many would. We don't think about it in the least, but they might. We're all a$$holes; let's chill and get along.Well I'm not an a$$hole.......cause i'm a jerk!

Gray Blazer
08-04-2012, 20:19
Strangers are the best to sleep with; no strings...:)

Hikermom, it's just best to realize that everyone on here is a complete ass hole. Once you realize that you won't take anything too personal... life if good ;)

HikerMomKD. We love you.When I say there are homeless people on the AT ... it's true. Some are good, but, all sensible people ought to agree ... there are prolly a few homeless people you might want to avoid ... SHl++ ,,, there are prollly a lot of regular seeming people you prolly should avoid. Follow your instincts.

TD55
08-04-2012, 20:25
I don't think the OP meant any harm. Guys, ask your wives if they would feel uncomfortable sleeping next to a homeless man at one of the AT shelters. Many would. We don't think about it in the least, but they might. We're all a$$holes; let's chill and get along.
You are missing the point. If you would object to sleeping with a homeless person at a shelter, don't sleep in shelters. The homeless person has the same rights as you have. Unless he or she does something wrong you have to deal with it or move along. You ain't no better or more important than them. It's not fair to stereotype "homeless". You know how many vets are homeless? Nice, come home from the war and decide to chill on the AT and have to deal with gossipy do gooders who get a kick out of making trouble for people they don't know anything about. Makes them feel important I guess.

Skyline
08-04-2012, 20:33
The woman who has been mentioned several times in this thread is (was?) named Peggy Childers. I haven't seen or heard about her in quite a few years, thus the "was?". She was delusional at times, and had a few impossible stories to tell, but AFAIK she was harmless. I saw her several times a year in the late '90s and early '00s.

Peggy alternated between Fulhardt Knob and Cornelius Creek shelters in Virginia. At Fulhardt, she once had a camp set up away from the shelter--very well organized with a triangular layout for sleeping, cooking, and bathroom breaks in three locations. Decent gear, too, donated by townsfolk and hikers. When she wasn't talking about her run-ins with Joe Kennedy, Larry Flynt, or the royals of England she made a lot of sense--and she was informative about survival in the woods and in a society that doesn't treat those out of the mainstream very nicely.

In 1998, the Associated Press did a story about her which made it into newspapers across the nation. She was once arrested by federal officers for something minor, and stayed away from the AT for awhile after that. But she did return, and I'd love to know what happened to her in the years since.

shelb
08-04-2012, 20:42
Yes, I think it would be fun to start a "friends of WB"- FB page so we can all be friends on there as well. Haha!! Is anyone IN?

Only if everyone "plays nice." lol...

Rasty
08-04-2012, 20:45
Well I'm not an a$$hole.......cause i'm a jerk!

I agree with Socks!!!:)

rocketsocks
08-04-2012, 20:48
I agree with Socks!!!:)I disagree:D

T.S.Kobzol
08-04-2012, 21:57
What's with all the capitalizations and demands for apology? it makes you look deranged.

Grow up. Is this your first day on the internet ?

I DID NOTHING WRONG. If I have to carefully word my threads to meet YOUR standards and cause judgement NOT to fall then... I don't need this site. I was NOT warning people in a BAD way... I NEVER said watch out or this person could be dangerous OR ANYTHING like that. If you look at the thread you will even see that I stated my reason for the post... SO THAT NO ONE might be SURPRISED is the word I used.... It was pissing me off that everyone was crapping all over my thread and I honestly had NO CLUE as to WHY. If I can't feel comfortable here, I will leave AND it's been brought to my attention that I will NOT be the first or the LAST person to feel this same way... I've BEEN WARNED. SO... I think it's HIGH time that people on here take a LONG HARD LOOK at THEMSELVES and ask them if they like how their behavior is working for THEM.. Can you say BULLIES? Oh ... I think you can!! There are HOMELESS people and IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING... I met a homeless person at McAFEE KNOB and took him to eat and paid for his dinner at the HOMEPLACE. He was using the trail as his home and it was "verified" by Harper's Ferry...they already had him in their system. So I had already been a trail angel to a YES... sorry to upset you for using the word- HOMELESS PERSON. THis is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

MuddyWaters
08-04-2012, 22:02
Like an online version of tourettes

Lugnut
08-04-2012, 22:15
The woman who has been mentioned several times in this thread is (was?) named Peggy Childers. I haven't seen or heard about her in quite a few years, thus the "was?". She was delusional at times, and had a few impossible stories to tell, but AFAIK she was harmless. I saw her several times a year in the late '90s and early '00s.

Peggy alternated between Fulhardt Knob and Cornelius Creek shelters
in Virginia. At Fulhardt, she once had a camp set up away from the shelter--very well organized with a triangular layout for sleeping, cooking, and bathroom breaks in three locations. Decent gear, too, donated by townsfolk and hikers. When she wasn't talking about her run-ins with Joe Kennedy, Larry Flynt, or the royals of England she made a lot of sense--and she was informative about survival in the woods and in a society that doesn't treat those out of the mainstream very nicely.

In 1997, the Associated Press did a story about her which made it into newspapers across the nation. She was once arrested by federal officers for something minor, and stayed away from the AT for awhile after that. But she did return, and I'd love to know what happened to her in the years since.

I met her at Fulhardt. Thought she went by Queen Ann? Interesting conversation. She got me for $20 and I went on my way. Looking back it was worth it and I'm glad I met her.

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2012, 22:16
Maybe you are all right - so lets give this thread a rest - it really is a bad spiral as someone said in 2005 in a similar thread "the only difference between a hiker and a hobo is Gortex.

Papa D
08-04-2012, 22:49
I actually don't think that HikerMomKD (the OP) had any ill intentions in her original or subsequent posts and they didn't really offend me. I do think that possibly she didn't think through the tenor of her "warning" and (like many) she might be a little biased toward people (in this case a homeless person) that doesn't conform (more or less) to what her acceptable standards are and maybe was a little reactionary. She also needs a little backbone and her feelings shouldn't be so trashed when called out on WB - that's what this is - a discussion forum. If you aren't willing to see other opinions, then don't post.

Now, this said, we all are wired to be a little discriminatory at times. I don't mean to but if I see someone (maybe in military garb with a gun on the trail), I instinctively think "danger: crazy redneck with a screw loose" because I am from the south and am wired that way. Maybe I smell perfume and laundry soap on some day hikers and think, "what the hell are they doing on my trail." It takes a little effort and thought to step outside your comfort level and accept others and it is something we should all work on. But I am really glad that we (mostly) all agree that unless a person is doing some specific thing to offend others or cause harm, that just the state of being homeless on the trail isn't necessarily something that we should be concerned with.

fiddlehead
08-04-2012, 23:23
I'm not going to get involved in mud-slinging or soothing the OP's hurt feelings.
But this thread reminds me of a time I ran into a homeless guy on the PCT.
He had a camp set up and I stopped and had lunch with him.
After hearing his story of waiting for a check (and thinking he probably was never going to get it), I gave him a few candy bars I didn't need so much.
He wolfed those things down so fast, I told him to slow down, he was going to get sick.
Man was that guy hungry.

There's homeless people who tend to beg in cities and crowded places and can be a pain.
Then there's the one's who enjoy nature and know they have a problem, so, stay out of they way and in an environment they feel comfortable in.

I know I almost always give to the latter and almost never to the former (unless they have leprosy or no limbs like many I see here in Asia)

adamkrz
08-04-2012, 23:30
I'd like to have a heads up if a person is living in a shelter, A few years back my wife and I arrived at a shelter that we had planed to stay at after hiking all day - when we arrived we found this person smoking crack and acting very strange, it was enough to scare us to hike on into the night to another camp.

Anyway I did give this guy some food and water before we left and contacted a DEP officer who did remove the guy for his own safety the next day.

I met a homeless guy this year hiking south for a possible job, he was real nice to talk with,I hope he makes it.

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2012, 23:32
Papa D you may have missed this... she is taking about her fears and a wish to be notified. We don't have time for a couch, I don't find fault with that we all have fears. There is a very fine line here and its easy to make a mistake. but we as a group have seen pictures of important thru hikers and yea they look like hobos. I have seen both ends here... lets give this a rest.

I wont apologize for calling out your bias. Change the word "Homeless" with anything else and you would be a bigot. Just because you take it as an insult is not my problem. Would you start a thread with "Be aware that we have (Take your pick of ethnic group)"? I would guess you wouldn't, but the homeless person that has not done anything wrong is open game to point out. Sometimes only one party needs to apologize!

I am going to be blunt. The AT doesn't have a proper clothing required or a requiem for soap This is not Disney World and if everyone was white it would be very boring! Let set the record straight - lets move on.

Toli
08-05-2012, 00:46
Papa D you may have missed this... she is taking about her fears and a wish to be notified. We don't have time for a couch, I don't find fault with that we all have fears. There is a very fine line here and its easy to make a mistake. but we as a group have seen pictures of important thru hikers and yea they look like hobos. I have seen both ends here... lets give this a rest.

I am going to be blunt. The AT doesn't have a proper clothing required or a requiem for soap This is not Disney World and if everyone was white it would be very boring! Let set the record straight - lets move on.

WOO... What is going on here(WB) :eek:??? People wonder(Just the ones that profit from donations :rolleyes:) why no one wants to donate/contribute anything meaningful anymore... This thread is a prime example... Seriously??? When you think Papa D misunderstood something, things ain't right... Next thing is that 10-K is a car camper... HikerMomKD PM me and I will pay for you to join BPL... Don't get discouraged because of a couple, and literally, a couple, of DB's here live in their moms basements and are "so much cooler online"... Why do people constantly ask about trail conditions??? Why would that not include if someone was seemingly out of place on the AT??? Bear activity in an area not known for that??? No water where theres always water???

Bronk
08-05-2012, 00:56
I live just a couple miles down the road from a national forest and this past spring I spent every weekend traveling the same 10 mile stretch and camped in the same two places every weekend for over two months. If I didn't have a day job I may have circulated this same area indefinitely until I got bored with it. I see no appreciable difference between what I've done and what a "homeless" person might be doing.

I think what it comes down to in these situations is whether anyone notices what you're doing and whether or not you wear out your welcome, whether anyone complains about it, and if they complain to someone in a position to do anything about it.

If you act in a reasonably polite manner and don't do anything to get noticed on somebody's radar screen then in most places I'd bet you will be left alone.

If you've been somewhere long enough for people to think you are 'living' there then I'd have to wonder how they would know this unless they were traveling the same stretch of trail just as often as you are. Someone who traveled the same area I did this past spring might have assumed I was living there simply because they saw me there several times over a period of weeks, when in fact they were merely weekend camping trips.

Having said that, I've seen people living in the national forest before...in one case they dug a hole and mounted a chair with a toilet seat over it some feet from their camp and had a tomato plant growing in a 5 gallon bucket next to their tent. These kinds of actions indicate that somebody is probably planning on staying awhile, and forest service rules limit the number of days you can stay in one place, and even set limits so that you can't continuously live in the forest simply by moving from one place to the other. The rules are probably different based on whether you are in a national forest, national park, state park, wilderness area, etc, etc. But the bottom line is that under the rules you aren't allowed to 'live' there indefintely. If you get noticed and somebody complains you're probably going to be asked to move along eventually, no matter how nice you are about it.

If you choose an out of the way place rather than a popular spot that anybody can drive right up to you'll probably get away with it for a much longer period of time.

Rasty
08-05-2012, 01:00

WOO... What is going on here(WB) :eek:??? People wonder(Just the ones that profit from donations :rolleyes:) why no one wants to donate/contribute anything meaningful anymore... This thread is a prime example... Seriously??? When you think Papa D misunderstood something, things ain't right... Next thing is that 10-K is a car camper... HikerMomKD PM me and I will pay for you to join BPL... Don't get discouraged because of a couple, and literally, a couple, of DB's here live in their moms basements and are "so much cooler online"... Why do people constantly ask about trail conditions??? Why would that not include if someone was seemingly out of place on the AT??? Bear activity in an area not known for that??? No water where theres always water???

So people are DB because they sincerely don't believe that Whiteblaze is the proper place to track homeless people? That's really messed up logic. Who else should we track? Maybe women? Nope that's unacceptable. Maybe minorities? Nope also unacceptable. And no I don't live with my mom.

Toli
08-05-2012, 01:28
So people are DB because they sincerely don't believe that Whiteblaze is the proper place to track homeless people? That's really messed up logic. Who else should we track? Maybe women? Nope that's unacceptable. Maybe minorities? Nope also unacceptable. And no I don't live with my mom.

Because she kicked you out and now ur homeless... Was wondering where you were.. I'll tell her you said "Hi"...
sincerely don't believe that Whiteblaze is the proper place to track homeless people? ​Seriously??? thats what you got out of my post??? M****...

Rasty
08-05-2012, 01:34

Because she kicked you out and now ur homeless... Was wondering where you were.. I'll tell her you said "Hi"...
sincerely don't believe that Whiteblaze is the proper place to track homeless people? ​Seriously??? thats what you got out of my post??? M****...

It was her original point.

Hairbear
08-05-2012, 03:20
Very well put, Papa D. i enjoy your open mind ++++++++1

Papa D
08-05-2012, 08:19
Woo - thanks for your post.
I just looked up another homeless thread and lo and behold, the OP was on that one too thanking everyone for the head's up on the homeless person.
I'm re-thinking my inclination to give her the benefit of the doubt.

It's interesting to think about how old-timers would view this: take someone like Gene Espy, the second person to thru-hike. He was (from what I can tell) a hitch-hiker and a hobo. The trail has been a corridor for many travelers over the years. Today, we think that if you don't look like you just stepped out of REI and your SUV, you don't belong. This is just absolutely a perverted way to think about a trail that was designed for travelers who choose their feet as a mode of transportation to go from place to place through the appalachian range - Hobos, weekenders, thru-hikers, section hikers, day travelers, and yes, even folks who want to live out there a long time (without breaking other established rules).

Capt Nat
08-05-2012, 09:06
I just want to thank the OP for all the entertainment. Hiking and gear stuff has been beat to death. WB is like watching NASCAR. If there are no wrecks, it's just left turns...

Hikerhead
08-05-2012, 11:55
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=893&catid=member&imageuser=132

Pic of her from a local newspaper article in 03. I took the same pic of her campsite, minus her, a few days earlier. As you can see, she took over the whole shelter. Around 2000 she turned up at the house of a girl I worked with during one or our worse ice storms. She fed her and called the police, she had no idea what to do with her. I know she would get hostile and spit at members of the local club who would try to talk her into moving along to somewhere else. I too have wondered what happened to her.

Skyline
08-05-2012, 12:30
Yes, there were times that Peggy thought of Fulhardt Knob and Cornelius Creek shelters as her "homes," which she could grant permission to others to use--or not. More delusion, yes, and as I recall this was part of the reason local trail clubs had run-ins with her, prompting the USFS to take action and have her removed from Jefferson National Forest. While this behavior was minor in comparison to other "real" crimes, it was certainly unacceptable and a hinderance to both the trail club and hikers who were not able to use a shelter when she monopolized it.

I think she eventually got the message, because when I next saw her, she had this neat campsite set up near but not within eyesight of Fulhardt. She wasn't using the shelter at all.

The last time I saw her, I'm thinking around 2004 or 2005 (maybe earlier?), she was walking back via the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cornelius Creek Shelter from the Peaks of Otter resort where she had purchased a quart of milk. I was headed north driving home in my truck after a few days in the woods, and gave her a ride to the forest service road near the shelter. She said she was suffering from a calcium deficiency. I gave her a few rolls of Tums I kept in my pack.

It was hard to really tell how old Peggy was back then. FWIW, I think she once told me she was about 60. Hard times can do a lot to alter one's looks. If she was in fact 60 in, say, 1998, she would be in her mid-70s now. I hope she's OK.

Wise Old Owl
08-05-2012, 13:02

Toli I went to bed last night because the prescription drugs kicked in as I just swung back thru the thread - I was asking Papa D to take a second look at this as we all were giving the op a pass. I don't think Papa D misunderstood anything. I honestly do not understand what BPL has to do with this - but I have a low tolerance for bigotry on WB, and I hope others do as well. 10-k, Papa D and yourself are fine people. We get along just fine... I don't totally understand this post of yours. - next time you feel this way make it a PM.

HikerMom58
08-05-2012, 13:32
I tried to get off this site but it's like Hotel California... you can check out but you can never leave. :) I've read all the posts since I last posted.. I appreicate the kind words of people that understand me and where I was coming from. You all really don't have to me a pass. I don't need anything from you. I know, in my own heart and mind, exactly why I put up the OP and it was not being judgemental towards people without permanant homes. I'm not the stero-type middle class mom that you judge me to be... you guys don't have a clue. You don't know anything about me at all. I don't have to have everything "like home", when I stay in a shelter. I have been out on the trail a fair amount,with my daughter. I was very nervous spending the night with random people but I got used to it... I like the t-shirt that I can wear as a woman... I sleep with mice and men. You have to have a lot of trust in humanity to go backpacking. I do trust people. I wish I could take this post and delete it. That is all.

Papa D
08-05-2012, 13:39
Toli I went to bed last night because the prescription drugs kicked in as I just swung back thru the thread - I was asking Papa D to take a second look at this as we all were giving the op a pass. I don't think Papa D misunderstood anything. I honestly do not understand what BPL has to do with this - but I have a low tolerance for bigotry on WB, and I hope others do as well. 10-k, Papa D and yourself are fine people. We get along just fine... I don't totally understand this post of yours. - next time you feel this way make it a PM.

Hey, I forgot about your surgery - you doing ok? Can we call you "WOOSEY"

tridavis
08-05-2012, 14:05
I can see everyone's point about helping out those that are homeless and helping them out wheather on the trail or at home......and agree that 1 person living in a shelter here or there is not a problem. But I am sure city leaders years and years ago thought that a few homeless people downtown weren't any big deal, and siad lets try and help them out by providing free services. Well, we know how that has turned out, you can drive in any size city nowadays without being harrassed for money at every other corner. My point is, what if it were 2-3 people at a given shelter living there, or 1-2 people at every other shelter on the trail. When does it become a problem??? You don't think word won't get out that people can live on the trail as well as they can in cities, and not have as much "competition".......then you need to think again. One day this may end up being a very big problem with all the crimes that go along with homlessness. And if that happens none of us will want to be on the AT.

TD55
08-05-2012, 14:27
Homeless folks have to become hikers if they want to be on the trail. There are rules and actual laws in effect on the AT.

SassyWindsor
08-05-2012, 14:38
Are non-USA citizens allowed on the AT? Next thing you know I'll be considered an illegal alien and banned from hiking (at least by some on this forum). Then again, maybe an illegal alien is more desirable than a homeless person. In that case, never-mind.

TD55
08-05-2012, 15:04
Are non-USA citizens allowed on the AT? Next thing you know I'll be considered an illegal alien and banned from hiking (at least by some on this forum). Then again, maybe an illegal alien is more desirable than a homeless person. In that case, never-mind.
If you are an illegal alien as in, from a different planet, you are welcome as long as you look somewhat like a humanoid. If you are an illegal alien as in, from a different location on planet earth than the USA and it's territories, we will have to know what part of the planet you are from. Some people we like and some people we don't. Also, we change our minds often. Best for you that you remain quite about where you are from.

Water Rat
08-05-2012, 15:08
I was thinking about going hiking with E.T., but I worry he won't be able to keep up. Have you seen how short his legs are??? And, he always wants to phone home! On the plus side, the dude does carry a lot of Reese's Pieces...

Rasty
08-05-2012, 15:12
I was thinking about going hiking with E.T., but I worry he won't be able to keep up. Have you seen how short his legs are??? And, he always wants to phone home! On the plus side, the dude does carry a lot of Reese's Pieces...

Seriously, ET would be the best hiking partner ever. If you having a tough day you can fly! He can make your whole hiking party fly up the big hills. Just make sure to have overage protection and unlimited text messaging on your cell phone plan!

Water Rat
08-05-2012, 15:19
Wait a sec... If E.T. caused the whole group to fly, then does that count as hiking?

The BEST part of hiking with E.T. would be if there was an injury. Ol' E.T. would just make his finger light up, then say "Ouuuuch," touch the injured area... Then, no days off the trail!

Okay, I have now re-thought hiking with E.T. I think I might just go phone him at home...

Rasty
08-05-2012, 15:22
Wait a sec... If E.T. caused the whole group to fly, then does that count as hiking?

The BEST part of hiking with E.T. would be if there was an injury. Ol' E.T. would just make his finger light up, then say "Ouuuuch," touch the injured area... Then, no days off the trail!

Okay, I have now re-thought hiking with E.T. I think I might just go phone him at home...

We discussed this in a seperate thread a while back (Hot Air Balloons) and I think it's allowed if you touch each Whiteblaze. The problem with the hot air balloon was catching the trees on fire during the flight through the trees. ET solves the entire conundrum.:)

Water Rat
08-05-2012, 15:27
Good point! :) Alrighty, I choose E.T. as my hiking buddy. When the going gets tough, E.T. does the work! Should make for a pretty smooth hike.

Water Rat
08-05-2012, 15:30
And... E.T. is not homeless. His group carelessly left him behind. He has a home, that is why he is always his buds to come pick him up. I just wanted to clarify in case anyone had an issue with my hiking with E.T. Though, I am sure many hikers could be bribed with the Reese's Pieces. :)

HikerMom58
08-05-2012, 15:47
Ha Ha!! Funny!! :) I just saw the funniest thing on my home page on FB... "Trying to pick my favorite politician is like trying to decide which STD is just right for me."... LOL.... I vote for E.T..... Hehe!!

daddytwosticks
08-05-2012, 18:11
I'd much rather hike with ALF. He is way cooler and funnier than hell. Swapping stories with him around the campfire in the evening would be awesome. :)

Wise Old Owl
08-05-2012, 18:15

The trail is open to everyone including non citizens.

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2012, 18:19
I'd much rather hike with ALF. He is way cooler and funnier than hell. Swapping stories with him around the campfire in the evening would be awesome. :)

Plus if you wanted to buy anything off him, you could pay him in styrofoam.

Ladytrekker
08-05-2012, 18:21
I am watching the episode of criminal minds right now that was based on the AT. A kind of child serial killer roaming the trail. Funny

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2012, 18:22
I am watching the episode of criminal minds right now that was based on the AT. A kind of child serial killer roaming the trail. Funny

According to the outside world, that happens on the A.T. At least twice a week :eek:.

Ladytrekker
08-05-2012, 18:26
Yea I know people want to make something so wonderful a mystery and that's usually done with fear. I'm not skeered.

Rasty
08-05-2012, 18:27

He's filled with fleas & tics!:)

Water Rat
08-05-2012, 18:27

But cats are not safe! I wonder if that would carryover to small woodland creatures? Of course, Alf coughs up hairballs. That could get messy in a tent

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2012, 18:30
But cats are not safe! I wonder if that would carryover to small woodland creatures? Of course, Alf coughs up hairballs. That could get messy in a tent

He might eat small woodland creatures huh? If he developed a taste for shelter mice, he'd become a hero on the trail.

TD55
08-05-2012, 18:33
Tent? You stumbled into the wrong thread. This one is about shelters. No tents.

Water Rat
08-05-2012, 18:34
I thought it was a thread on E.T. vs. Alf - who is the better trail buddy...

Rasty
08-05-2012, 18:35
i thought it was a thread on e.t. Vs. Alf - who is the better trail buddy...

et.................

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2012, 18:37
Tent? You stumbled into the wrong thread. This one is about shelters. No tents.

I thought it was a thread on E.T. vs. Alf - who is the better trail buddy...

To clarify, this thread, like every thread before it that has ever been posted on the Internet, is a thread about nothing...

Water Rat
08-05-2012, 18:38
It seems it has been decided E.T. is magical and can make groups fly over the troublesome sections of the trail, touching the blazes (without torching the trees!) as he goes. E.T. can heal wounds, allowing the injured to not lose time by having to leave the trail. Additionally, he always carries Reese's Pieces. Downsides to E.T. - short legs, always wanting to call home.

Alf has awesome campfire stories, we're not sure if he will partake of the shelter mice diet, and may bring Willy Tanner along for the hike.

TD55
08-05-2012, 18:40
Seems like a no brainer.

Rasty
08-05-2012, 18:40
It seems it has been decided E.T. is magical and can make groups fly over the troublesome sections of the trail, touching the blazes (without torching the trees!) as he goes. E.T. can heal wounds, allowing the injured to not lose time by having to leave the trail. Additionally, he always carries Reese's Pieces. Downsides to E.T. - short legs, always wanting to call home.

Alf has awesome campfire stories, we're not sure if he will partake of the shelter mice diet, and may bring Willy Tanner along for the hike.

The most perfect post about nothing in the history of the internet! Sienfeld would be proud!

Water Rat
08-05-2012, 18:41
Thanks! I try! :)

Wise Old Owl
08-05-2012, 18:41
I tried to get off this site but it's like Hotel California... you can check out but you can never leave. :) I've read all the posts since I last posted.. I appreicate the kind words of people that understand me and where I was coming from. You all really don't have to me a pass. I don't need anything from you. I know, in my own heart and mind, exactly why I put up the OP and it was not being judgemental towards people without permanant homes. I'm not the stero-type middle class mom that you judge me to be... you guys don't have a clue. You don't know anything about me at all. I don't have to have everything "like home", when I stay in a shelter. I have been out on the trail a fair amount,with my daughter. I was very nervous spending the night with random people but I got used to it... I like the t-shirt that I can wear as a woman... I sleep with mice and men. You have to have a lot of trust in humanity to go backpacking. I do trust people. I wish I could take this post and delete it. That is all.

Hikermom You have been here two years and you haven't filled out your "about me" page You have made a few posts but those posts suggest you are new to this. "Giving you a Pass" is not what what you think. To me its giving you the opportunity to fit in as you are green. As we all do its the right thing to question everything... What did you mean by that? Why did you post that? Why do you have me on Ignore? Can we help this person? etc. This thread got off to a bad start like most of the hobo threads, so it was no surprise the direction it went. The pass IS because we don't know you. Hey I have been here for years and would love to delete a few threads and posts.... in fact I cant wait for a few to sink to the bottom. But, there are some subjects here on WB that really can get people into a frenzy, Hobo & Homeless and first impressions is one of them. Your prior posts about wanting to be notified was a big clue. Looking back on this thread Hikermom perhaps this website is not a good fit for you.

TD55
08-05-2012, 18:44
Oh man, she was calmed down and in a good mood.

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2012, 18:50
Hikermom You have been here two years and you haven't filled out your "about me" page You have made a few posts but those posts suggest you are new to this. "Giving you a Pass" is not what what you think. To me its giving you the opportunity to fit in as you are green. As we all do its the right thing to question everything... What did you mean by that? Why did you post that? Why do you have me on Ignore? Can we help this person? etc. This thread got off to a bad start like most of the hobo threads, so it was no surprise the direction it went. The pass IS because we don't know you. Hey I have been here for years and would love to delete a few threads and posts.... in fact I cant wait for a few to sink to the bottom. But, there are some subjects here on WB that really can get people into a frenzy, Hobo & Homeless and first impressions is one of them. Your prior posts about wanting to be notified was a big clue. Looking back on this thread Hikermom perhaps this website is not a good fit for you.

W.O.O., I was with you until I read the last sentence. What exactly would make somebody not be a good fit for this site? If we all thought alike, the site would get very boring very fast. Some of my favorite members are ones that I hardly ever agree with, and I welcome folks who see the Trail differently than I do.

Majortrauma
08-05-2012, 18:57
Honest to God, why does anyone care if a homeless person is sleeping in the shelters. Leave him be. Poor guy/gal has enough problems and to be pestered by hikers shouldn't be one of them.

Pedaling Fool
08-05-2012, 18:58
Welcome to the party:D

russb
08-05-2012, 19:05
Oh man, I put my popcorn away. Now I have to go get more.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/dabatman22/Motion_Pics/1000x500px-LL-b2fdb6ac_lozGr_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_po pcorn.gif

TD55
08-05-2012, 19:07
W.O.O., I was with you until I read the last sentence. What exactly would make somebody not be a good fit for this site? If we all thought alike, the site would get very boring very fast. Some of my favorite members are ones that I hardly ever agree with, and I welcome folks who see the Trail differently than I do.
He may be on medication.

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 19:12
Honest to God, why does anyone care if a homeless person is sleeping in the shelters. Leave him be. Poor guy/gal has enough problems and to be pestered by hikers shouldn't be one of them.

you get it

Lugnut
08-05-2012, 19:15
Everything important was said on this site the first year it existed. Everything since then has been a rehash and/or grandstanding. Now it seems to just serves as a place to pontificate.

Skyline
08-05-2012, 19:15
To clarify, this thread, like every thread before it that has ever been posted on the Internet, is a thread about nothing...

Kinda like Seinfeld, right?

Bronk
08-05-2012, 19:17
You don't think word won't get out that people can live on the trail as well as they can in cities, and not have as much "competition".......then you need to think again. One day this may end up being a very big problem with all the crimes that go along with homlessness. And if that happens none of us will want to be on the AT.

The vast majority of homeless people are homeless because of either mental illness or drug and alcohol problems and most of the latter will not want to move too far away from a ready supply of their substance of choice, so I doubt the trail will become overrun with homeless people. From the stories I've seen on Whiteblaze over the years you see more of the homeless people on the trail with mental illness. I've never encountered what I would call 'homeless' on the trail, but I have encountered a few of what I would term 'hobos.' To me a hobo doesn't take handouts but rather wants to work for what they get. Though I do think if we were being honest about it most thruhikers could honestly be described as homeless and unemployed.

Some on here have tried to differentiate it by saying thruhikers do it by choice, but I'm not sure that's a fair way to differentiate because I think on some level the homeless choose it as well.

TD55
08-05-2012, 19:17
Everything important was said on this site the first year it existed. Everything since then has been a rehash and/or grandstanding. Now it seems to just serves as a place to pontificate.
And your point is?

TD55
08-05-2012, 19:20
The hikers with great gear should tent. They can afford nice tents. Maybe we should leave the shelters to the hobo's, homeless and poor folks.

Supreme Being
08-05-2012, 19:20

I think those pills have given you a "God Complex" like my name suggests. "Giving her an opportunity to fit in?" "Perhaps this website is not a good fit for you?" Who the heck are you to say that this site is a place where everyone must "fit in" by only your standard way of thinking? The day that everyone needs to think alike is the day that most of us shouldn't be here.

There was also a post where a female stated she didn't care if someone looked homeless or had a bunch of homes that if she was getting a bad instinct she was moving on. You kind of shot her down and made some noise about not "giving into your fears.". Most of the women and men who hike the trail aren't paranoid and afraid of their own shadow because in some ways you have to be somewhat fearless to face the unknown for 5 or so months. I hope hikers out there DO trust their instincts when they are around anyone (rich or poor) instead of listening to your doped up advice. It might just keep them safe.

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 19:23
The hikers with great gear should tent. They can afford nice tents. Maybe we should leave the shelters to the hobo's, homeless and poor folks.

maybe tear down all shelters and the bums won't come.

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 19:24
I think those pills have given you a "God Complex" like my name suggests. "Giving her an opportunity to fit in?" "Perhaps this website is not a good fit for you?" Who the heck are you to say that this site is a place where everyone must "fit in" by only your standard way of thinking? The day that everyone needs to think alike is the day that most of us shouldn't be here.

There was also a post where a female stated she didn't care if someone looked homeless or had a bunch of homes that if she was getting a bad instinct she was moving on. You kind of shot her down and made some noise about not "giving into your fears.". Most of the women and men who hike the trail aren't paranoid and afraid of their own shadow because in some ways you have to be somewhat fearless to face the unknown for 5 or so months. I hope hikers out there DO trust their instincts when they are around anyone (rich or poor) instead of listening to your doped up advice. It might just keep them safe.
he's pompous too like so many here

TD55
08-05-2012, 19:26
I'll have a pontificate with pompous and a large order of fry's please. Thankyou

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 19:26
he's pompous too like so many here

but me, i'm pithy, to the point and always right. i got more miles and more posts than y'all :cool:

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 19:27
i'll have a pontificate with pompous and a large order of fry's please. Thankyou

fries.........

TD55
08-05-2012, 19:30
I'll spell it fry's if I want. You spell it the way you want.

Edie
08-05-2012, 19:38
The important question here is, does the homeless guy follow proper procedure and avoids rude practices?

Ladytrekker
08-05-2012, 19:41
He might eat small woodland creatures huh? If he developed a taste for shelter mice, he'd become a hero on the trail.

The only Big Cats I know are the Jacksonville Jaguars and believe me they are not scary and no threat to anyone but still my cats. LOL.......

Ladytrekker
08-05-2012, 19:45
The important question here is, does the homeless guy follow proper procedure and avoids rude practices?

When I am hiking I am homeless and blessedly so. Cause there is no place that I would rather be than in the woods.

Wise Old Owl
08-05-2012, 19:46
Oh man, she was calmed down and in a good mood.

It is a first for me too, I have never said that to anyone. I have thought about it all day. Everyone here has given this a good try, to get along. Then after careful consideration and thinking about her choices - thats where I arrived. Its a suggestion.

She has me and a few others on ignore. Its up to her now - my heart is in the right place.

coach lou
08-05-2012, 19:50
If you can't PM her does that mean she has you on ignore?

TD55
08-05-2012, 19:51
The college students don't. The trail is full of rude people who ignore rules. Are you suggesting a certain "group" be held to different standards?

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2012, 19:52
but me, i'm pithy

And the winters are long?...

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2012, 19:55
If you can't PM her does that mean she has you on ignore?

Not to drift the thread even further, but is there a way to tell if someone has you on ignore?

I feel like the number of people that currently have you on ignore should be listed on our public profiles, preferably in the left column just below the friends list.

Wise Old Owl
08-05-2012, 20:01
Yes there is a way... PM me.

Velvet Gooch
08-05-2012, 20:04
Can't PM? Simply dial 1-800-SLAPAHO

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 20:12
When I am hiking I am homeless and blessedly so. Cause there is no place that I would rather be than in the woods.

yeah but you're a hitch and a gold card away from a posh hotel and a restaurant. hikers on vacation during a thru-hike are hardly homeless. they ain't sufferin'

atmilkman
08-05-2012, 20:22
Some people think the homeless are sexy.
WARNING: R Rated - contains adult language.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr8Ib6OWv-E

HikerMom58
08-05-2012, 20:56
Hey I'm here.... I just got back home... what's up? I don't like this site as well as FB b/c I don't know how to "reply" like you guys do...have you noticed? I don't know how to reply to certain posts... I asked ChinMusic but I don't think he ever answered me. Well, the answer to the ignore- I have my profile shut down as low as it will go. I tried to get off the site completely last night but they won't let you get off of here... :/ Since I could get off completely ,of course, I wanted to know what everyone was saying about me after I "left". :/... I really do understand how my post hit a nerve right away with some people but really why didn't you just come out and ask me to clarify and tell me what you found so offensive. I really did not mean to be judgemental about homeless people at all. Anyone that really knows me, says that I'm the least judgemental person they have ever met. I just didn't come across that way on the site. Yeah, I do think that I don't fit on this site at all... :(

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 20:58
Hey I'm here.... I just got back home... what's up? I don't like this site as well as FB b/c I don't know how to "reply" like you guys do...have you noticed? I don't know how to reply to certain posts... I asked ChinMusic but I don't think he ever answered me. Well, the answer to the ignore- I have my profile shut down as low as it will go. I tried to get off the site completely last night but they won't let you get off of here... :/ Since I could get off completely ,of course, I wanted to know what everyone was saying about me after I "left". :/... I really do understand how my post hit a nerve right away with some people but really why didn't you just come out and ask me to clarify and tell me what you found so offensive. I really did not mean to be judgemental about homeless people at all. Anyone that really knows me, says that I'm the least judgemental person they have ever met. I just didn't come across that way on the site. Yeah, I do think that I don't fit on this site at all... :(
i feel your pain...

Papa D
08-05-2012, 20:59
yeah but you're a hitch and a gold card away from a posh hotel and a restaurant. hikers on vacation during a thru-hike are hardly homeless. they ain't sufferin'

Miracles never cease - I am in almost complete agreement with Lone Wolf on this.

HikerMom58
08-05-2012, 21:00
Also, I feel like I was the one that was judged much more harshly than I would ever judge anyone else... it really hurt BaD...I was so confused.:confused:

HikerMom58
08-05-2012, 21:02
Guys... can you just be nice to me? I'm really a cool chick... if I do say so myself....:cool:

Rasty
08-05-2012, 21:08
Guys... can you just be nice to me? I'm really a cool chick... if I do say so myself....:cool:

Everyone please move on! Let's get back to arguing about if E.T. or Alf would be a better hiking partner. It's well established that E.T. is the far superior hiking partner. Alf is a flea infested mangey creature that will not supply Reeces Pieces! :D

russb
08-05-2012, 21:09
hikermom, I don't want to add to your pain, but I was confused too. But by your reaction. It seemed to me like a good discussion, until your post on page 2 where it appears you reacted to something I did not see. It went downhill from there. Sorry, but I think you needed to take some responsibility for your posts.

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 21:11

WIApilot? ......

Kentlady
08-05-2012, 21:13

I just saw this poor reason to start a new thread. "Emergency crews"! You need serious psychological help, pal. Please take your anti-anxiety drugs and anti-depressants and stop beating on the needy!

HikerMom58
08-05-2012, 21:13
I don't feel like talking anymore... I wish this thread would just go away... I'll shrink back in the corner of this site and not say much anymore. That's how I feel. I forgive you guys for all the horrible things you said to me, about me etc... you all are brutal. Just don't worry about me anymore. I'm fine and it's over... thank God. See you all around...

HikerMom58
08-05-2012, 21:15
Oh my God... this NEVER going to END!!

Alligator
08-05-2012, 21:17
Oh my God... this NEVER going to END!!I'm putting it out of its misery. Closed.