PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mountain to Partnership Shelter

Rasty
08-04-2012, 13:43
I'm planning a section from Roan Mountain to Partnership Shelter for the last week of September through the first week of October. Any suggestions on really cool camping spots in this section? Not planning to sleep in shelters much, maybe just Overmountain. My plan is to hike from Roan Mountain to Overmountain the first day (7 miles) after driving from home. After that I don't have any definite plans except a stop in Damascus one night. I usually hike 15 to 20 miles each day.

Is anyone else going to be in this area at that time. I wouldn't mind hiking with someone else for a couple of days.

Thanks

moldy
08-04-2012, 17:32
This is an excellent section to hike at that time of year. You will never be wanting for great places to set up your campsite. I would highly recommend staying in or near Thomas Knob shelter. The evening and morning views are really something.

Rasty
08-04-2012, 17:52
This is an excellent section to hike at that time of year. You will never be wanting for great places to set up your campsite. I would highly recommend staying in or near Thomas Knob shelter. The evening and morning views are really something.

Moldy - Thanks, I will try an plan on Thomas Knob.

cknight
08-05-2012, 20:44
There are a few spots at Thomas Knob I would recommend, if they are full and you don't want to stay in the shelter, go 1/2 mile north of the shelter, they're several nice large camping spots.

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 20:47
There are a few spots at Thomas Knob I would recommend, if they are full and you don't want to stay in the shelter, go 1/2 mile north of the shelter, they're several nice large camping spots.

do this. much nicer than the shelter and immediate area

Rasty
08-05-2012, 20:48

Thank you! I got my shuttle arrangements all set today. I can't wait.

Rasty
08-06-2012, 13:59

do this. much nicer than the shelter and immediate area

Thanks. I like sleeping in my tent better any way. Any other really worthwhile spots? Also breakfast and dinner suggestions for Damascus.