PDA

View Full Version : Safe Water Sources in NJ??

The Roaming Badger
04-27-2005, 18:08
I'm going on my first overnight hike on the NJ portion of the AT and was wondering what my best option for water is....I've been told a couple of drops of bleach works, though EMS etc. would have me believe otherwise. I'm trying to keep pack weight under 20lbs and this will be hard while carrying my own water.

Any tips on what works would be appreciated.

The Roaming Badger

jackiebolen
04-27-2005, 19:15
Do a simple search my friend. This topic has been hashed out endlessly and then a bit more and then a bit more, then repeat.

Panzer1
04-27-2005, 22:24
We just had a big "go around" about bleach.

See the thread "Clorox as a disinfect for H2O"

Bottom line, forget bleach..

Panzer

icemanat95
04-29-2005, 18:22
We just had a big "go around" about bleach.

See the thread "Clorox as a disinfect for H2O"

Bottom line, forget bleach..

Panzer

Bleach is a relatively poor treatment option. It works for some things...given enough time, but not for others, it also has no impact on chemical contaminants in the water other than adding another. Some water in New Jersey tastes, quite frankly, like sewage. It's got a pile of sulphur in it and no amount of gatorade or drink powder will hide that flavor. A filter with an activated carbon core will take a bit of a bite out of it though, plus it'll get rid of the cooties. It's a heavier option than you want, but all things considered it may be your best option there. As I recall the worst water was around High Point State Park.

A-Train
04-29-2005, 20:02
I'll be ridgerunning in New Jersey this summer, so sometime in early june when I get a chance to hop on the comp, I'll give an update about all the H20 conditions. Sorry I can't help more now.

LIhikers
05-02-2005, 19:18
I hiked western NJ, Culvers Gap route 206 to Unionville, during the first week of April. There was plenty of water in the springs and streams. And as others have said, check out the other threads on treating water.

chigger
05-02-2005, 19:37
hey Badger- if you are only going for one night in jersey, i would very much just recommend carrying the water you need from home- most of the water sources i came across in the nj/ny section were absolutely repugnant, and had i any choice at all, i would have stayed completely away from them myself. also, if you check your data book i think you will see that there are a lot of spots in jersey that have long distances between water sources. if you do need more water than you can/are willing to carry at one time though, i would certainly agree with the other posters here that bleach alone will is not a great choice- check out aqua mira or polar pure -or- get a lightweight in-line water filter from ULA (mine lasted about 1500 miles and was one of the most awesome pieces of gear in my pack) or safewater. happy hikin'.