PDA

View Full Version : Historical must see on or near trail

Kibble n Bit
08-05-2012, 11:36
Hi ya'll bit here from "kibble n bit" just wanted to know if anyone out there knows of must see historical places along the trail. I'm not really a history buff but would enjoy stopping by the must see places. This hike will be our first real hiking experience and want to get the most out of this incredable challenge and get educated along the way.

johnnybgood
08-05-2012, 12:40
Harper's Ferry was the site of John Browns rebellion in 1859. Brown was a white abolitionist that supported the slave rebellion and seized the U.S. Arsnel Building.

Jack Tarlin
08-05-2012, 12:44
Very few hikers go to Gettsyburg, only a few miles from the Trail.. This is one place where every American show go at least once.

mattusmc
08-05-2012, 12:55
I would say the original Washington Monument. Looking forward to this one myself.

Kibble n Bit
08-05-2012, 13:04
Are you planning hike for next season?

Kibble n Bit
08-05-2012, 13:05
Thank you will check into this more.

Odd Man Out
08-05-2012, 13:14
I would say the original Washington Monument. Looking forward to this one myself.

I remember this from my first ever AT hike in 1968 when I was 9 YO.

A trip to DC would be easy and have even more potential, but would take a whole day or two.
Commuter trains leave very early in the AM from HF and return from DC late PM ($18 RT).
This would be a great day trip but would probably also require two nights stay in HF (the day before and after).
The commuter train only runs M-F.
There is also an Amtrack that leave HF later morning and returns late afternoon (also $18 RT). This wouldn't give enough time for a day trip, but could be used with an overnight in DC. Also, the Amtrack runs on weekends.

Also, there is the Appalachian Trail Museum in Pine Grove Furnace State Park, PA.

shelb
08-05-2012, 13:29
We really liked the original Washington Monument...

I will see the AT Trail Museum when we go next week. In some ways, I wish I had held off on this section because when my husband was there a few weeks ago, he was told that the museum will see a lot of expansion within the next two years....