PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Cutting Board

whiteagle
04-27-2005, 19:15
I imagine I'm not the first person to have this idea, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything else. The dollar store by my house sells flexible plastic cutting boards (sheets?) 3 for a buck. I keep 2 in the kitchen at home, one for meat and one for veggies. They are 12" x 15" and weigh just over an ounce each. They're also quite durable. I was thinking they would be great on the trail as a plate/cutting board/counter top.

Daniel

hauptman
04-27-2005, 19:29
while it is an interesting idea, i think it is just more unnessasary weight. you can always use a flat rock or tree branch. twigs and sharp stones work for good silverware. ha,ha!!! Hardened mud cup, lol!!! Be as obsessed or lax as you want, but seriously, a plastic cutting board. You have read one too many of those backpacker magazine quick tips!!!lol!!!

Lilred
04-27-2005, 19:48
I imagine I'm not the first person to have this idea, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything else. The dollar store by my house sells flexible plastic cutting boards (sheets?) 3 for a buck. I keep 2 in the kitchen at home, one for meat and one for veggies. They are 12" x 15" and weigh just over an ounce each. They're also quite durable. I was thinking they would be great on the trail as a plate/cutting board/counter top.

Daniel

That's really not a bad idea. I carry with me a plastic place mat. The kind you would use on your dining room table. It's great for sitting on if the ground is wet from rain. That cutting board might be able to be used the same way too. I bought one that is blaze orange, for hunting season, to put on the back of my pack.

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 19:55
... It's great for sitting on if the ground is wet from rain. That cutting board might be able to be used the same way too. I bought one that is blaze orange, for hunting season, to put on the back of my pack.

Hmmmmm ... I like the idea of multi-use, butt this might be going too far!

:dance
Rain:sunMan

Lilred
04-27-2005, 20:42
Hmmmmm ... I like the idea of multi-use, butt this might be going too far!

:dance
Rain:sunMan

Hehehehe Rain Man said butt........ :p

NICKTHEGREEK
04-27-2005, 20:53

DanielIf you have access to three ring binders some come with a similar 8.5x11" plastic divider that serves the same purpose. Good for swishing bugs away, nice impromptu fan, even makes a decent frame sheet between the back of your pack and the gear inside.
Don't sweat the silly replies from the gram Nazis if you feel it adds some civility /utility to your hike, by all means take it.

TDale
04-27-2005, 21:14
Some one over at backpacking.net used those to make his own Orikasa flat dinnerware. they can be handy.

Whistler
04-27-2005, 22:03
I've used the plastic dividers [chopped down to size, re-taped] to make protective sleeves for journal paper and guidebook pages. Also makes a nice surface to bear down on when writing. It's an ounce or so I don't strictly need, but I like it.
-Mark

whiteagle
04-27-2005, 22:21
I think I'm going to leave the mud cups for hauptman, but he does have a point. This is the reason I posted it here and not in the ultralight section. Even though within the next few weeks I should get my baseweight to ~10-12 lbs, this is one ounce I don't mind. Lilredmg, that's a good idea for it, but I always just use my z pad to sit on.

Dunno if it'll become a regular, but I do like a clean place to put food every now and then.

Daniel

Panzer1
04-27-2005, 23:02
I also have the same plastic cutting boards in my kitchen at home. I like them a lot. But I don't use them on the trail.

But on the trail when I needed something clean to put my food down on, I use a paper towel. After using to put your food down on, you could next use the paper towel to wipe out your cooking pot or whatever.

Panzer

Nean
04-28-2005, 12:32
If it works for you then it works for me!