PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike 2013?

horicon
08-05-2012, 18:46
Do You think its to late to start planing a thru hike for 2013?

SCRUB HIKER
08-05-2012, 20:09
Someone else said it first, but ... you need decent gear, $3-5k, 6 months off, and enough food to get to Neels Gap to thru-hike the AT NOBO. Otherwise, no planning is needed; you'll figure it out on the trail. Lack of planning won't be what keeps you from finishing, if that's what ends up happening. I decided to do it two months in advance. Other people have decided two days in advance. Now definitely isn't too late.

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 20:17
Do You think its to late to start planing a thru hike for 2013?

you only need to "plan" the day you wanna start and how you're gonna get to the start. it's just walkin'. buy stuff and go. you'll figure it out quickly

Josh Calhoun
08-06-2012, 11:28
nope, plenty of time

SawnieRobertson
08-06-2012, 11:38
Perfect timing! You have enough time to condition yourself, gather the things you need to survive (forgetting comfort as a goal), study the trail guides and maps, read all the journals you can to get tips, and, MOST OF ALL, be at the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers annual Gathering to learn everything you need to know that you can in advance of departure. Also, it would be nice and very helpful to meet others who are planning a 2013 thru. You have been a member of White Blaze a long time. Surely you have gained much knowledge already.

RED-DOG
08-06-2012, 12:01
No its not to late, in 96 it took me 3 months to plan my Flip-Flop, and 1 month to plan my 06 NoBo, and about 2 weeks to plan this years NoBo, so go have lots of fun and enjoy. RED-DOG

ATMountainTime
08-06-2012, 12:12
Im planning a 2013 or maybe 2014, its sort of a pilgramage for this ole man. Im not taking any electronics, and no bounce boxes. To me it just adds a little stress to something that should be the time of my life. to have to "meet up" with a box on the trail on a specific date...