PDA

View Full Version : Just got my new ULA Circuit

JoshL
08-05-2012, 22:30
I will be taking it out tomorrow on a 3 day hike and will post a more in depth review after but so far I am very impressed with how roomy the pack is. I packed up everything for my trip and still have plenty of room to spare. I love the large side and hip belt pockets, and it is pretty comfortable. I am coming from a Gregory Z65, and saving ~3 lbs is pretty awesome.

Firefighter503
08-06-2012, 00:55
Congrats. You won't be disappointed.

Rasty
08-06-2012, 01:00
I want one or the OHM 2

House of Payne
08-06-2012, 05:35
Eager to hear your trip results. I have the same pack on my wish list

G.G.
08-06-2012, 12:41
Another interested geek...

I use a Z55 but haven't made the move. I intend to mod my side pockets to gain some volume. If it doesn't work, I think a ULA is in my future.

Buffalo Skipper
08-06-2012, 13:56
I have this pack, and I love it! Enjoy your trek and I look forward to hearing how it worked for you.

Maddog
08-06-2012, 14:45
I will be taking it out tomorrow on a 3 day hike and will post a more in depth review after but so far I am very impressed with how roomy the pack is. I packed up everything for my trip and still have plenty of room to spare. I love the large side and hip belt pockets, and it is pretty comfortable. I am coming from a Gregory Z65, and saving ~3 lbs is pretty awesome.
Congrats! I'll be ordering the Woodland Camo version soon! I don't need 3 ULA packs, but I want it! I'm a sucker for anything camo! Maddog:D

BradMT
08-07-2012, 08:41
Question... are the aluminum stays removeable?

peakbagger
08-07-2012, 09:04
The stays were removable when I bought mine two years ago. I was planning a trip and needed to put my pack in a suitcase. I talked to the new owner and he offered to supply me a three piece stay so that I could remove it, break it down and roll it up in the pack. No charge. My pack came fuly equipped with some extras that I dont use like bottle carriers and hand straps, they all unclip. Sure some speciality firms may offer slightly lighter options but ULA packs are built more durable.

BradMT
08-08-2012, 08:24
The stays were removable when I bought mine two years ago. I was planning a trip and needed to put my pack in a suitcase. I talked to the new owner and he offered to supply me a three piece stay so that I could remove it, break it down and roll it up in the pack. No charge. My pack came fuly equipped with some extras that I dont use like bottle carriers and hand straps, they all unclip. Sure some speciality firms may offer slightly lighter options but ULA packs are built more durable.

Thanks for the response. I have absolutely no use for a pack without stays that can be removed and customized to my back.

You've now got me interested.

Are the stays full-length in size (ie, the entire length of the backpanel)?

I'm also impressed that the pack comes in 4 sizes... almost unheard of these days!

peakbagger
08-08-2012, 13:05
Sorry but the stay is more like a fiberglass hoop that transfers load from the shoulder so to the hips. It not like the old aluminum stays on "load monster packs" that could be bent to fit. Realisitcally if you stay in the recomended load range there is no need for form fitting stays. I will agree that on my old Moutnainsmith Frostfire (6000 cubic inches) the bendable stays helped me to carry loads that I later regretted.

Hairbear
08-08-2012, 22:48
I will be taking it out tomorrow on a 3 day hike and will post a more in depth review after but so far I am very impressed with how roomy the pack is. I packed up everything for my trip and still have plenty of room to spare. I love the large side and hip belt pockets, and it is pretty comfortable. I am coming from a Gregory Z65, and saving ~3 lbs is pretty awesome.whats the weight on that pack

MuddyWaters
08-08-2012, 23:03
The circuit has 2 stays. One is an aluminum bar right down the middle of the back. The other is carbon fiber rods with a plastic flexible part on top.
You will take the al stay out, and bend it to fit your back so that it is most comfortable. A velcro tab hols it in its place. The carbon fiber side stays have the flex plastic on top, because it has to be bent to get into the place it goes. It then springs into position . This is the stay the load lifters pull against, with the support help of the top strap.

You can remove them both and use it as a frameless pack with a ccf pad. However the load lifters are about 24" from the bottom, so unless you have a wide CCF pad, they dont have anything really good to pull against. I tried all different ways , but settled on using it with the stays. The comfort and support far exceed the couple ounce penalty.

BradMT
08-08-2012, 23:44
The circuit has 2 stays. One is an aluminum bar right down the middle of the back. The other is carbon fiber rods with a plastic flexible part on top.
You will take the al stay out, and bend it to fit your back so that it is most comfortable. A velcro tab hols it in its place. The carbon fiber side stays have the flex plastic on top, because it has to be bent to get into the place it goes. It then springs into position . This is the stay the load lifters pull against, with the support help of the top strap.

You can remove them both and use it as a frameless pack with a ccf pad. However the load lifters are about 24" from the bottom, so unless you have a wide CCF pad, they dont have anything really good to pull against. I tried all different ways , but settled on using it with the stays. The comfort and support far exceed the couple ounce penalty.

Thanks, that's great news... a pack without a customizeable stay is something I want nothing to do with.

Most light packs are being designed in the absolutely wrong direction... I'll have to try a ULA.

skinewmexico
08-08-2012, 23:53
Love all 3 of my ULA packs.

Chubbs4U
08-09-2012, 00:33
Anticipating my OHM 2.0 Camo thats in the mail. My 2nd ULA pack and I cant wait.

BradMT
08-09-2012, 19:21
I starting looking at the "volume" of the circuit... kinda tiny, and a bit deceiving once you start breaking it down by compartment.

I'll pass. I need something bigger.

JoshL
08-09-2012, 19:23
Just got back from my trip, 3 days, 2 nights mostly on the AT in North Carolina around Standing Indian Mountain. First the weather was pretty bad, lots of rain, and a real bad thunderstorm/high winds on day 2. I didn't have a pack cover, but I did have a compactor bag that I used on the inside as well as a couple sea to summit dry compression sacks for clothes and sleeping bag.

Overall I was quite impressed. It took me most of the first day to get the hip belt to fit just right, the 2 adjustment straps on each side do give a little bit more custom fit for the hip belt. The suspension was pretty comfortable, not quite as much as the gregory, but certainly adequate for the load I was carrying (~25 lbs). I do really enjoy the large hip belt pockets, had plenty of room for snacks, compass, headlamp, lighters, and other small stuff. The bag was roomier than I expected, I could easily have fit another 3 or 4 days of food and still had room to spare. The material seems sturdy and I had no problems with snags/tears anything like that. I do agree with some reviews that I read that the large front pocket is hard to get stuff into and out of when the pack is full, I had my camp shoes and my rain jacket there. It did a reasonably good at keeping my things dry, although in hard rain you do need either a cover or compactor bag to keep things on the inside dry. Things in the hip belt pockets do get wet and you might want to keep them in a ziplock. Folding the top over just right can be a bit tricky at times, though I think I have the hang of it now.

Overall I am quite satisfied with the pack. While it rides closer to my back than the gregory and doesn't provide the same air flow on your back as gregory's suspension, it is certainly comfortable, and the weight savings certainly make up for it.

Emerson Bigills
08-09-2012, 20:03
Josh, I made the same transition, Gregory Z65 to the ULA Circuit and think your results are similar to mine. I love the weight reduction. I have to admit that I miss the zipper pouch on the top of my Z65, but you have to sacrifice some things to get the weight down. The airflow against my back is decreased and I get lathered up a little quicker back there. I am still trying to find the combination of the right water bottle to use with the strap holsters.

Always fun getting new equipment and learning to use it.

MuddyWaters
08-10-2012, 20:21
I starting looking at the "volume" of the circuit... kinda tiny, and a bit deceiving once you start breaking it down by compartment.

I'll pass. I need something bigger.

Its a lightweight pack, intended for light wt gear and a lightwt mindset. By those standards, its perfect for many. Its huge for some too.

Stir Fry
08-10-2012, 20:40
I have the ULA and if I could put the sholder pads and belt from my McHale pack on the ULA I think I would have the perfect pack.

Bucho
08-11-2012, 22:03
Sorry but the stay is more like a fiberglass hoop that transfers load from the shoulder so to the hips. It not like the old aluminum stays on "load monster packs" that could be bent to fit. Realisitcally if you stay in the recomended load range there is no need for form fitting stays. I will agree that on my old Moutnainsmith Frostfire (6000 cubic inches) the bendable stays helped me to carry loads that I later regretted.

The ULA Circuit has one of those "old aluminum stays on 'load monster packs'".

MuddyWaters
08-11-2012, 22:23
On packs like the circuit, or other UL packs, the pack rides directly against your back. Unlike large heavy duty packs where it is actually off the back.

Whats most important about that center stay, is is lets you contour the lower part of the pack to ride in your lower back, and hug your back , comfortably, and holds that shape regardless of how the pack is loaded. Keeps the pack against your back and helps support by the curvature of your lower back. The stay also makes a very rigid connection with the hipbelt support area.

Rasty
08-11-2012, 22:57
I wasn't able to decide between a Circuit or the OHM 2.0 so I emailed Chris to get a circuit with the OHM side pockets and rear mesh. I should have it in about a month. So far everything I've heard about how good the customer service is true.

MuddyWaters
08-11-2012, 23:09
I wasn't able to decide between a Circuit or the OHM 2.0 so I emailed Chris to get a circuit with the OHM side pockets and rear mesh. I should have it in about a month. So far everything I've heard about how good the customer service is true.

I have an Ohm and a Circuit and there are things I like about them both. I prefer the Ohms stretchy Front pocket and drawstring top closure. I would love to have those on a circuit. I know a few have gotten custom ones. I might just as well one day. The Ohms elastic rimmed side pockets are great, but since I only carry water bottles there, no real preference. They both work fine.

Consider getting the drawstring top closure too, the circuits is ....kind of screwball, could be better.

MuddyWaters
08-11-2012, 23:14
To elaborate, the top closure on the circuit is difficult to hold together to roll down with anything in the extension collar where you need to compress the pack down a bit. All it would take is some velcro (like the SMD starlyte) to hold the two stop edges together to improve. The drawback to velcro here is it grabs at your sleeves if wearing a long sleeve garment when digging in the pack. Can be avoided by flipping the top edges outward

Bucho
08-11-2012, 23:29
I'm also a fan of the Ohm's drawstring closure. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind the two different designs.

Rasty
08-11-2012, 23:51

I have an Ohm and a Circuit and there are things I like about them both. I prefer the Ohms stretchy Front pocket and drawstring top closure. I would love to have those on a circuit. I know a few have gotten custom ones. I might just as well one day. The Ohms elastic rimmed side pockets are great, but since I only carry water bottles there, no real preference. They both work fine.

Consider getting the drawstring top closure too, the circuits is ....kind of screwball, could be better.

Thanks! Definitely something I will consider.

SmokeEater
08-12-2012, 08:41
Ebay has a circuit for sale. Starts at 180 w/ 15 shipping. Seller claims it has never been used. I have the Catalyst and OHM. Love them both.

BradMT
08-15-2012, 08:52
On packs like the circuit, or other UL packs, the pack rides directly against your back. Unlike large heavy duty packs where it is actually off the back.

Sorry, but that is absolutely not true.

If you buy a pack with removable, shape-able stays (as God intended packs should be designed), and you actually understand how to shape them, your "large, heavy duty pack" will ride right against your back.

Franco
08-15-2012, 19:42
BTW, there are two (in fact probably three...) versions of the Circuit, so some features are not the same.
The earlier version only had the U frame , no stay.
It also had the drawstring closure but like others I mentioned to Brian that I preferred the rolltop type so it was changed to that.
(the collar was also extended to compensate and if rolled down twice it still takes a greater volume than the first version)

Franco

bigcranky
08-15-2012, 20:45
I got an original Circuit at Neels Gap a couple of years ago, then an original Ohm for summer hiking. I, too, liked features from both packs, so last fall I ordered a custom Circuit with the stretchy front pocket and drawstring top closure of the Ohm. It's a terrific pack. Nice to be able to get exactly what I want for a very reasonable price.

The Circuit is too large for summer hiking around here, but it'll hold my winter gear and rides comfortably in any season.

MuddyWaters
08-17-2012, 17:59
Sorry, but that is absolutely not true.

If you buy a pack with removable, shape-able stays (as God intended packs should be designed), and you actually understand how to shape them, your "large, heavy duty pack" will ride right against your back.

Many heavy conventional packs, ie Kelty, have dual stays which are exposed , and about 1" thick foam at the hip area in lower back, and again where shoulder straps are. You would not want these metal bars against your back. they are designed to ride slightly off for ventillation. maybe not all, but many. And it is absolutely true.

Franco
08-17-2012, 21:45
The stay inside an internal frame pack should (generally...) be shaped to your back so that the pack is close to it.
The closer the center of balance of your pack is to the center of balance of your body, the lesser the effort required.
On the other hand , external frame packs , like the Kelty , have an H frame designed to keep the pack apart from your back.
Franco

Franco
08-17-2012, 22:24
how is done :
http://www.arcteryx.com/pack-fit.aspx?EN#shapingStays

hikernutcasey
01-30-2013, 11:21
I am upgrading packs this year and have narrowed it down to the Circuit. My dilemma is I have never used a roll top type of pack before. I was kicking around the idea of having them customize it and put the drawstring in it. For those of you that have experience with this what are the advantages/disadvantages of the roll top vs. drawstring closures?

bigcranky
01-30-2013, 11:38
I had a stock Circuit with the roll top, and before that an SMD Starlite, also with a roll top. At that time the ULA implementation was not as easy to use as the SMD pack, so when I ordered a custom Circuit I had them install a drawstring closure. Now I understand that ULA has tweaked the roll top to make it easier to use.

Drawstring is really simple and fast, but of course not water resistant (there's a hole.) Roll top is much more weather proof. For me that is not an issue, as I use a rain cover for my pack anyway.

In my mind the better custom option for the Circuit is the stretchy mesh front pocket from the Ohm, as I did not like the standard Circuit mesh pocket. But my understanding is that ULA is more able to tackle custom work in the fall when they are less busy, so this all may be moot unless you can wait.

Hope this helps. The Circuit is a terrific pack for the lightweight hiker.

Studlintsean
01-30-2013, 13:05
I recently got a circuit and was a bit skeptical of the roll top. After two short trips with it, the roll top has grown on me. I did a few miles on of the trips while raining and can attest that nothing was wet in the bag.

Mags
01-30-2013, 13:56
Speaking of original ULA packs. Brian Frankle, the original founder of ULA, is now joining Six Moon Designs as their pack designer:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/index.php?view=article&catid=1:latest-news&id=144:brian-frankle-joins-smd&tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=

Curious to see what direction the SMD packs go in.

SCRUB HIKER
01-30-2013, 15:27
For those of you that have experience with this what are the advantages/disadvantages of the roll top vs. drawstring closures?

I have the Elemental Horizons Kalais pack now (a rolltop), but used to use the GoLite Pinnacle (drawstring). I much prefer the rolltop. There were times on the AT with the Pinnacle where, even underneath a pack cover, rain poured into the pack body through the drawstring hole even though I'd cinched it tight and rolled it down. This was during an hour+ of torrential rain--a rare situation, but not so rare that you shouldn't plan for it.

I can't think of drawbacks to the rolltop. I haven't taken out in the same type of rain as the drawstring, but I've taken it out in snow and light rain and the only moisture in the bag came through the pack fabric (which will happen with any lightweight bag fabric). It takes maybe 5 seconds longer to close the rolltop on my new pack than the old drawstring. Unless you're Andrew Skurka and you're the type of guy who urinates as you walk to save time (http://andrewskurka.com/2006/how-to-hike-a-fast-thru-hike/), 5 seconds shouldn't matter much.

saltysack
01-30-2013, 16:16
Great pack...got one a few months back. Holds enough for me and my dog for 4 days no prob...the catalyst is way to big for my needs

Ranger29
01-30-2013, 18:47
After much research, I purchased a Circuit as the first item in my weight reduction regimen. By the time I had worked out the rest of my system, I found out it took up about half of the Circuit's volume, so I got an OHM (for warmer weather, shorter duration trips). Both great packs! I'm not a drink from a tube guy, so I like having my 28 oz. gatorade bottle at hand. I did do a quick mod to support the bottle bottom - they do tend to slide out of the elastic band otherwise.

Firefighter503
02-01-2013, 01:59
I am upgrading packs this year and have narrowed it down to the Circuit. My dilemma is I have never used a roll top type of pack before. I was kicking around the idea of having them customize it and put the drawstring in it. For those of you that have experience with this what are the advantages/disadvantages of the roll top vs. drawstring closures?

I had a Catalyst (roll top) and downsized to the Ohm 2.0 (drawstring). The only downside that I can see to the roll top is that if your pack is overly full, it is harder to roll closed. Not that big of a deal though if you don't over pack. On the other hand, the roll top is nice to be able to compact the top of your pack if it is less than full, where as the drawstring doesn't help with that (but the compression straps help to keep everything tight/narrow in the case of the Ohm 2.0). If you go with the roll top, i have heard of people adding a piece of velcro at the top to aid in closing/rolling it. Just a thought.

Sandy of PA
02-01-2013, 12:06
Omni tape instead of velcro fixes the grabbing your shirt problem.

Magic_Rat
02-01-2013, 22:07
How do you pack your Circuit? For those who have one.

Studlintsean
02-01-2013, 22:16
Sleeping bag loose in bottom, insulation jacket loose in bottom, camp clothes in bag in bottom. All this in a trash bag. Stove, cook wear, filter, and tent on top. Rain gear and diddy bag with random stuff in mesh pocket up front for easy access.

Sarcasm the elf
02-01-2013, 22:41
How do you pack your Circuit? For those who have one.

You put all your stuff inside the pack and start hiking! :banana

My personal preference:

Thick garbage bag as a liner inside the pack

Sleeping bag inside a waterproof compression sack at the bottom (doesn't have to be a compression sack, but keeping your sleeping bag in a second waterproof bag is important, particularly if you're hiking in colder/wet conditions. I like the compression sack because prevents the bag from taking up half of my pack.)

My license/money/keys/headlamp/first aid kit and anything else small that is essential and might get lost: Those go into the little zip pouch inside the Circuit, I removed the hydration bladder sleeve a while ago.

Almost everything else just gets dumped on top of the sleeping bag. I'm not kidding, the more I hike the more I realize it doesn't matter too much where things are in your pack. You have to dump out the whole pack to get to your sleeping bag anyway, so what does it matter? Try to keep your foodbag somewhat in the middle so that it keeps the weight centered in the pack.

My camelbak goes into the pack last and is put on top of everything else before rolling the pack shut. This allows me to remove it easily to refill it without having to readjust the entire contents of my pack like I would if it was inside the hydration sleeve.

My tent poles either go inside the pack or get slipped into one of the side pockets, depending what convenient. If my tent is dry it goes inside the pack, more often it goes in the large front pocket since it usually gets packed up wet from rain or condensation.

My cookpot with the stove stored inside goes in one of the side pockets, my gatorade bottle goes in the other.

My camera, tiny leatherman micra, compass, map and some snacks go in the hip belt pockets, depending what I'm carrying at the time.

Z-rest foam pad is put on top of the pack and held secure with the top compression strap. If you use a inflatable mattress make sure to put it inside the pack, otherwise it will eventually get punctured by a thorn or branch (I know from experience :datz)

Sarcasm the elf
02-01-2013, 23:02
Great pack...got one a few months back. Holds enough for me and my dog for 4 days no prob...the catalyst is way to big for my needs

I may be in the minority here, but I wish I had gotten the Catalyst instead of the Circuit.

I'm a section hiker and go out for shorter trips 12 months a year. I had bought the Circuit with the belief that if you buy a slightly smaller pack, it will force you to pack lighter. While that is true, I have discovered that I have the restraint to keep my base weight down during three season hiking, but the Circuit leaves me wanting for more space to fit my winter bag and down jacket. If I had gotten the catalyst, the extra volume would have let me use it for more shoulder season trips before switching over to my heavier winter pack.

Or to put it in the words of wisdom I hear from some true hikertrash: Your pack's not big enough unless it has room to carry a twelve-pack up the trail and out of town.