PDA

View Full Version : ISO fundraising hike in upstate SC or western NC....

OldStormcrow
08-06-2012, 10:07
This is probably not the correct forum category for this, but perhaps some of you can re-direct me to the right one. I am wanting to participate in some sort of charity fundraising hike in the upstate SC or western NC area, but would prefer to avoid major "corporate" fundraisers such as The Hike For The Cure or The Ultimate Hike. I sat through these group's presentations and took off running out the back door. Their statement "almost 90% of funds raised goes to...." means to me that LESS (probably considerably less) than 90% makes it to the charity involved. I do not need their package with two nights stay at some motel not even in the same state as the event, the carb-loading dinner (out of state), the ten passenger van ride (back into my state), after hike breakfast (out of state), aid stations every mile or so, glow-stick tied to my butt, walkie-talkies and first aid kits alternating with every hiker, coaches telling me when to sit and take my boots off, etc. I hate to sound negative, but I would like to hike and raise money for a worthy cause, not some professional fundraising corporation.....any ideas?

Rain Man
08-06-2012, 10:12
Indeed, this is the "general" forum for The Appalachian Trail. Since you are not posting about the AT at all, this should be in some other forum, perhaps "Other Trails."

I don't understand, are you looking to do a charity hike in SC/NC on your own? Or, are you looking for some group doing a charity hike in that area?

BTW, CONGRATS on recognizing that MANY folks tack "charity" onto an activity or entity just to fool people, because it works.

Rain Man

OldStormcrow
08-06-2012, 10:34
I am looking for a group who is doing a charity hike in this area. I figured....why not do some sort of epic hike AND raise some money for a worthy cause at the same time? All of the links I have found on the internet belong to the same corporate entity, unfortunately. As for the "other trails" forum, there are hikes from these corporate fundraisers on the Foothills Trail in SC and the Art Loeb in NC. I would appreciate any info or links directing me elsewhere.

Grits
08-06-2012, 19:10
You can check out these two for the Mountains to Sea trail
http://www.fortunatesons.org/

http://greatoutdoorprovision.com/mst-endurance-run/

OldStormcrow
08-10-2012, 12:44
Some interesting and worthy causes, to be sure. Wish I had enough time off to join in one of the MST fundraisers! I may just start up some sort of grass roots effort and donate to the A.T. I'm thinking about some sort of endeavor that perhaps would take about a week or less, although my organizing skills are somewhat lacking.