PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad

glessed
04-27-2005, 21:17
What is the most comfortable sleeping pad? I would prefer not to have one that can possibly puncture.:)

Whistler
04-27-2005, 21:59
[insert plug for ground-free hammock-hanging bliss, etc.]

But you asked for pad recommendations. The old Mt. Washington evazote models are somewhat legendary for warmth/comfort/ weight. Gossamer Gear now makes similar foldable and rollable models. I've used off-brand models that are similar. Very comfortable, but a tad bulky.

I now use a Ridgerest and really really like it. I was never a big fan of the Z-Rest, it's a little thin and tends to flatten out more than other closed-cell models.

-Mark

Moon Monster
04-27-2005, 22:13
Thermarest always for me. Yes it can puncture, but I treat it with respect on all sorts of surfaces (with a ground sheet) and I don't think it's a big risk to puncture.

SGT Rock
04-27-2005, 22:30
If you are going to sleep on the ground then find a soft spot and use a foam pad. Hard tent sites are for the people that can't figure out a spot on their own. If you are going to stay in a shelter, then get a cushy Thermarest and a pair of ear-plugs because you are going to hear everyone around you all night long farting, sneezing, coughing, and snoring and you need the cushiest pad you can find. If you are going to get a hammock, you need something to insulate the bottom like a quilt or form pad which are typically lighter than an inflatable anyway.