PDA

View Full Version : starting from Maine now?

MrMiner2
08-06-2012, 14:54
My friend is starting from Maine now for a thru. Is this an odd time to start it?

About_Time
08-06-2012, 14:55
Actually just about the perfect time (IMHO).....

MrMiner2
08-06-2012, 14:56
Okay cool. I honestly have no idea haha just wondering

Quadzilla
08-06-2012, 15:25
All things being equal; your friend will more than likely finish sometime in late December to early January. Cold, snow and ice will prevail even though your friend will be finishing in the South. The Trail will be "quiet" as most people aren't hiking this time of year. Many of the water sources in the mid-Atlantic are already dried up, so the trek becomes more difficult on several levels. Once it turns cold and snow begins to fall and melt; ice becomes a problem in the footpath. Sleeping with gear (wet boots and water bottles so they won't freeze) and the loss of daylight adds to the array of problems as Winter arrives.

Jeff
08-06-2012, 15:26
Some hostels in the south will be closed when hiking that late in the season. As a result you end up paying more $ for motel rooms.

rocketsocks
08-06-2012, 15:31
My friend is starting from Maine now for a thru. Is this an odd time to start it?Is he on white blaze? Will he be posting a journal somewhere? Are you gonna hook up at some point to go hiking with him?

Questions over.....what up dude.

MrMiner2
08-06-2012, 16:55
No he dropped out of school (which is his thing) I have a semester full of classes

Miner
08-07-2012, 22:16
Considering I'm starting next week, so I don't consider it odd at all. Having already hiked the PCT and having talked to some friends with similar paces who also did the AT after their PCT hike, I'm planning on finishing in mid-December +/- a week.

fireneck
08-07-2012, 22:37
Considering I'm starting next week, so I don't consider it odd at all. Having already hiked the PCT and having talked to some friends with similar paces who also did the AT after their PCT hike, I'm planning on finishing in mid-December +/- a week.

Are you planning on blogging? I would love to relive the last five months of my via your blog :D

Miner
08-08-2012, 01:13
Are you planning on blogging? I would love to relive the last five months of my via your blog :D I'm posting my AT journal on postholer (http://www.postholer.com/miner) since I did my PCT journal there and its easy to update from the trail. Should be starting on the 17th.

English Stu
08-08-2012, 07:07
Starting in late August 2010 I did a section north bound including the 100 Wilderness, I met a few guys starting a thru Sobo. In 2004 I finished a previous section at Springer in early November so I knew what weather was like around then.These guys hoped to finish in December and were going to have winter gear sent even snow shoes to complete. Very few people will be on the trail and sheets over the shelter openings wil be needed if snow is blowing in.