PDA

View Full Version : dog friendly trails in the smokies

MrMiner2
08-06-2012, 15:00
I live in Knoxville. Been in the smokies alot but never with a dog. What are some trails a medium husky could handle?

Lone Wolf
08-06-2012, 15:02
dogs aren't allowed on trails in the smokys

Lone Wolf
08-06-2012, 15:03

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

RED-DOG
08-06-2012, 15:05
NO DOGS IN THE SMOKY'S unless its a registered service animal then its okay.

MrMiner2
08-06-2012, 15:07
Weakkkk

Lameee

WingedMonkey
08-06-2012, 15:11
There are two short day trails where dogs (or bicycles) are allowed. The Gatlinburg Trail and the Oconaluftee River Trail

kayak karl
08-06-2012, 15:26
Weakkkk

Lameee

??????????????

Lone Wolf
08-06-2012, 15:27
??????????????

he thinks the rules are weak and lame? most dog owners feel that way

rocketsocks
08-06-2012, 15:52
Weakkkk

LameeePut another way Laaaaaaame, Weeeeeeeak.:)

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2012, 21:29
OK lets take a different view on this - The Smoky National is not available and the two available trails are lame. There are nearby areas that our OP can choose from.

kayak karl
08-07-2012, 21:40
OK lets take a different view on this - The Smoky National is not available and the two available trails are lame. There are nearby areas that our OP can choose from.
he thinks rules are lame. probably thinks LNT is weak and lame also. let him stay home.

Sarcasm the elf
08-07-2012, 21:59
he thinks rules are lame. probably thinks LNT is weak and lame also. let him stay home.

I think the rules about dogs in GSMNP are Weeeek and Lammmme, but I still respect and follow them. I imagine that the OP intends to do the same.

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2012, 22:07
OK I think if someone starts a thread the last thing I would want is to have regulation or laws thrown in my face .... I don't want a reach around either... lets see what is available for this person as informative as possible... by the way, clearly he is new because he didn't post in the dog forum - just do your best..

1 idea is Backpacker database
2 idea is trimble outdoors.

http://www.amazon.com/50-Hikes-Tennessee-Mountains-Cumberland/dp/0881504327

vamelungeon
08-08-2012, 06:32
Just go hiking in your nearest National Forest. You can take your dog if you want. You can camp pretty much anywhere you choose instead of being forced into a dirty shelter.

Rain Man
08-08-2012, 09:54
he thinks the rules are weak and lame? most dog owners feel that way

I've heard many feel the same way about the same rules for The Place. Not I.

Rain Man

kayak karl
08-08-2012, 10:45
i think we are finding more and more rules these days cause there is less and less common sense.:-?

tdoczi
08-08-2012, 11:20
I think the rules about dogs in GSMNP are Weeeek and Lammmme, but I still respect and follow them. I imagine that the OP intends to do the same.

as a dog owner i for the most part understand and agree with the no dogs in the backcountry rule. if you want to talk about something that is TRULY very weak and extraordinarily lame, I've always found the fact that they consider the 8 foot wide tarred over path up clingman's dome to be a back country trail and thereby subject to the no dogs rule. now that is just stupidity.

SassyWindsor
08-08-2012, 20:33
The GSMNP trails and even other hikers may be "dog friendly", not so sure about the Rangers/Law.

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2012, 20:57
The GSMNP trails and even other hikers may be "dog friendly", not so sure about the Rangers/Law.

I would like to PM you on a better level on a subject other than this, can you change the restrictions ... just asking.

Back to the issues... why cannot we show a good direction on hiking with a dog instead of throwing up the rules?

kayak karl
08-08-2012, 21:15
how about the trail south of fontana and north of stand bear.

Sass
08-08-2012, 21:29
I live in Knoxville. Been in the smokies alot but never with a dog. What are some trails a medium husky could handle?

I live in knoxville too. I feel like you should know you can't have dogs in the smokies, but oh well. If you're looking for some other trails that are near our area you should check out Frozen Head State Park, great place...or Big South Fork, wouldn't take the dog on Honey Creek Loop...Obed Wild and Scenic Area...or you could go over to Nantahala, Virgin Falls State Natural Area, Fall Creek Falls...the options are endless. Enjoy!

Blue Wolf
08-08-2012, 21:43
MR is 21 I think you and your dog should head south to Joyce Kilmer Slickrock area....very easy trails....I wouldn't even bother with extra food or water for you or your dog....just find a trail and start walking!....dogs are most welcome there!....The rules nor the trails are weeek or lameee have fun!

cknight
08-08-2012, 21:45
how about the trail south of fontana and north of stand bear.
If "the trail" is the AT, you can take your dog. One thing you do need to know. I was hiking in the AT south of Fontana and came up on a big rattle snake. If you dog gets bit, you will be in the market for a new dog.

SassyWindsor
08-08-2012, 23:29

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Some people just can't accept rejection!

rocketsocks
08-08-2012, 23:42
Some people just can't accept rejection!I thrive on it.....;)

Wise Old Owl
08-10-2012, 21:31
OK - I tried a couple of things then went back to Trimble and many trails have accumiliated on the intenet with the Backpacker Pro Software that stores trails on the cloud...You can go to Backpacker type a zip like Knoxville 37902 and move the map around the outside of the city and Icons will show the trails and just click on them for details.... Loads of forests and other places to go.

http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/Search/#37902

MrMiner2
08-10-2012, 22:11
I think you are weak and lame for assuming I'd break rules. I don't even have a dog. Just trying to help a friend.

MrMiner2
08-10-2012, 22:13
^^ only kidding of course. But yes I obey rules!

Veetack
08-10-2012, 22:39
I honestly think that the no dog policy, at least on the AT in GSMNP, is stupid. If you're going to allow horses in the backcountry, who absolutely destroy trails, and have tieoffs located directly uphill from water sources so their waste runs into drinking water, then the least you can do is allow dogs, which have far less of an impact on the area. Not to mention, most dog owners support LNT with their dog's waste. You ever seen a rider with a garbage bag full of horse**** on the trail?

SassyWindsor
08-11-2012, 00:42
I honestly think that the no dog policy, at least on the AT in GSMNP, is stupid. If you're going to allow horses in the backcountry, who absolutely destroy trails, and have tieoffs located directly uphill from water sources so their waste runs into drinking water, then the least you can do is allow dogs, which have far less of an impact on the area. Not to mention, most dog owners support LNT with their dog's waste. You ever seen a rider with a garbage bag full of horse**** on the trail?

The US Park Service has a much different reason for not allowing canines, has nothing to do with trail damage and it's detailed in their their public information. I've covered thousands of miles and have NEVER seen a dog hiker pick up, or bury, their dogs poop. A few times I have seen a dog-hiker sling it into the woods with a trowel, mostly it's left where it drops, usually around shelters and open grassy areas and/or camp sites.

Marta
08-11-2012, 01:52

Have you ever seen an off-leash horse harassing the wildlife?

SassyWindsor
08-11-2012, 02:13
Have you ever seen an off-leash horse harassing the wildlife?

Good point. I know your reply wasn't addressed to me but this reminds me of seeing a hikers dog spook some horses, with riders mounted on the PCT, a lady got tossed off and was hurt. I know this doesn't apply to the GSMNP but this along with numerous other reasons is why I prefer hikers keep their dog(s) leashed, which is rarely seen. Unleashed dogs will romp in water sources, poop anywhere, harass wildlife as well as hikers.