PDA

View Full Version : Black Blear Bluff Charge (Great video on these animals)

Suckerfish
08-06-2012, 15:00
First off I want to say I am new to the AT community, I have hiked and camp all over the southeast most of my life and I only have logged in about 100 total miles of hiking on the AT, the longest being 37 miles from springer mtn up to levelland mtn this past july. The last month I saw 5 bears and a cub along the AT in Georgia and I have to say, I was pretty spooked, especially seeing the cub and adult together crossing over the trail as I was only 20 or 30 feet down from them taking a break.

I thought this video would be great to ease any fear some others might have of bears along the AT, this was filmed in New Jersey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkwy0scRXBU

sbhikes
08-06-2012, 15:44
Poor bear. They should leave the poor thing alone. Stop pestering it. People are idiots.

mgeiger
08-06-2012, 16:50
I kinda wanted the bear to attack her because she sounds like my ex mother in law.

1azarus
08-06-2012, 16:50
i think i've finally found my ideal hiking partner. (the bear, not the lady.)

atmilkman
08-06-2012, 16:58
She better be glad that wasn't mama with her cubs.

MkBibble
08-06-2012, 18:07
I kinda wanted the bear to attack her because she sounds like my ex mother in law.

Made me smile!

HikerMom58
08-06-2012, 18:54
I really see what you were trying to do with this post and the video. I also have a fear of bears when I'm out hiking. I'm getting over my fear just by getting out there. The thing that is worrysome to me is when bears lose their fear of people when they want to get something they think you have. Mainly food. I appriecate what your post means to you and your desire to help others. The lady in the video is prob. not making good choices while she's trying to prove a point. Don't get your feelings hurt by comments made on this site. Just read my post from a few days ago.... Thanks for sharing & your intentions are good, I'm sure. :welcome

Suckerfish
08-07-2012, 11:00
I really see what you were trying to do with this post and the video. I also have a fear of bears when I'm out hiking. I'm getting over my fear just by getting out there. The thing that is worrysome to me is when bears lose their fear of people when they want to get something they think you have. Mainly food. I appriecate what your post means to you and your desire to help others. The lady in the video is prob. not making good choices while she's trying to prove a point. Don't get your feelings hurt by comments made on this site. Just read my post from a few days ago.... Thanks for sharing & your intentions are good, I'm sure. :welcome

I am just trying to get over my fear of bears, I was pretty spooked when I encountered the cub and mom only 20 feet away from me up the creek bed. The hair stood up on my neck, I got tunnel vision, I was in a state of shock watching this big huge bear run up from the creek up to the edge of the trail, stop and look right at me. I really did think I was a gonner, LOL. I got up slowley grabbed my pack in one hand, my nalgine bottle and map in the other and walked slowly away back down the trail. About 10 minutes passed and I heard the big mom start walking across the trail up the side of the hill with baby cub trailing behind her.

I felt so alive during that moment but ever step after that I was a nervous nelly. Alone hiking about 3 miles in I got pretty spooked when I encounted the next bear, he saw me before I saw him and took off running but it still startled me.

This vid is more of me trying to supress the fear that was really envoked from seeing the bear and her cub 20 feet away from me.

I have heard of people hiking the entire AT and never seeing a bear, I have seen 5 and have barely just begun hiking parts of the AT. I hope to hike the entire thing soon, poissibly 2013 or 2014. I might just quit my job and do it, the trail has been calling me ever since my first day hike at woody gap in Ga.

Enough rambling, thanks for understanding Hker momkd...

1azarus
08-07-2012, 11:41
... I feel a bit guilty about my flip remark earlier in the thread -- actually, it is really interesting to see the bear/human interaction. That bear must be awfully used to humans to not have fled upon initial approach -- and still, the bear did back off. I sure wouldn't do that to any bear I met... for the bear's sake as well as my own. I've seen my share of bears and have never had an encounter anywhere near like that one! nevertheless, interesting...

HikerMom58
08-07-2012, 11:57
... I feel a bit guilty about my flip remark earlier in the thread -- actually, it is really interesting to see the bear/human interaction. That bear must be awfully used to humans to not have fled upon initial approach -- and still, the bear did back off. I sure wouldn't do that to any bear I met... for the bear's sake as well as my own. I've seen my share of bears and have never had an encounter anywhere near like that one! nevertheless, interesting...

That is really nice of you to say...

HikerMom58
08-07-2012, 12:07
SuckerFish- I have not seen any bears while I've been out hiking roughly 200 miles or so but I know I would have the same reaction as you. My daughter, on the other hand, has no fear at all and can't pull her camera out fast enough. She saw 13 bear so far and has hiked over 1/2 the trail. :) AHHH.... you've been bitten by the AT trail bug... good for you!! :) I hope you can make your dreams come true. I'll help you out all I can when you come into Central VA. I can PM you my contact info.... I enjoyed your post so much... you weren't rambling!! :)

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 12:11
I am just trying to get over my fear of bears, I was pretty spooked when I encountered the cub and mom only 20 feet away from me up the creek bed. The hair stood up on my neck, I got tunnel vision, I was in a state of shock watching this big huge bear run up from the creek up to the edge of the trail, stop and look right at me. I really did think I was a gonner, LOL. I got up slowley grabbed my pack in one hand, my nalgine bottle and map in the other and walked slowly away back down the trail. About 10 minutes passed and I heard the big mom start walking across the trail up the side of the hill with baby cub trailing behind her.

I felt so alive during that moment but ever step after that I was a nervous nelly. Alone hiking about 3 miles in I got pretty spooked when I encounted the next bear, he saw me before I saw him and took off running but it still startled me.

This vid is more of me trying to supress the fear that was really envoked from seeing the bear and her cub 20 feet away from me.

I have heard of people hiking the entire AT and never seeing a bear, I have seen 5 and have barely just begun hiking parts of the AT. I hope to hike the entire thing soon, poissibly 2013 or 2014. I might just quit my job and do it, the trail has been calling me ever since my first day hike at woody gap in Ga.

Enough rambling, thanks for understanding Hker momkd...Thanks for posting Suckerfish, What you describe about being affriad and yet drawn in at the same time is something many have felt before. It is probably the number one reason so many hike or hang around a hiking site...to recapture a moment in time, when all was anew, at least that's why I'm here. I can't say that the women did the bear community any favors by desensitizing that bear to humans, and I have no idea if the bear will remember that encounter as a bad thing for him/her, or if the bear will remember it as "the next time I see that lady, I'm gonna give her what for...chase me off will ya", either way, when I see my first real bear, it will be with, longing, somewhat afraid, nervous excitement, respect, distance(if possible), and again longing as it wonders off, and I doubt very much if I'll make a video showing everyone just how close I can get to a bear at the expense of the bear, it's just best to leave them alone...that's my take anyway. Hey you have a great hike there, and I wish you happy trails.:)

for a laugh,See my ~ "My One Bear Story", in my journal

HikerMom58
08-07-2012, 12:33
Thanks for posting Suckerfish, What you describe about being affriad and yet drawn in at the same time is something many have felt before. It is probably the number one reason so many hike or hang around a hiking site...to recapture a moment in time, when all was anew, at least that's why I'm here. I can't say that the women did the bear community any favors by desensitizing that bear to humans, and I have no idea if the bear will remember that encounter as a bad thing for him/her, or if the bear will remember it as "the next time I see that lady, I'm gonna give her what for...chase me off will ya", either way, when I see my first real bear, it will be with, longing, somewhat afraid, nervous excitement, respect, distance(if possible), and again longing as it wonders off, and I doubt very much if I'll make a video showing everyone just how close I can get to a bear at the expense of the bear, it's just best to leave them alone...that's my take anyway. Hey you have a great hike there, and I wish you happy trails.:)

for a laugh,See my ~ "My One Bear Story", in my journal

I agree with your post completely. The lady in the vid. was trying to prove a point, i reckon, but her behavior is questionable ... I'm sure she meant well.
:/ Interesting that you 2 have not seen a bear out there yet either and can relate to SuckerFish. I feel the same way. I'm with you about keeping a safe distance from them, if possible. When my daughter saw the bear(s), she was very respectful and quiet... such a fun experience for her!! :) I can't wait to read your "Bear Story" where can one find it to read it? Your journal? On your profile page?

Suckerfish
08-07-2012, 15:44
I was only about a half mile up the trail from unicoi gap in Ga last weekend. It is straight uphill from unicoi to the summit of rocky mtn. I think 1,000 feet in a mile or something. Anyway about a quarter or half way up I stopped by a creek. Sat down, the creek was about 10 yards below me, I was on the bank on the trail. Sat down, got my water out put my pack down of course. Pulled out my map and was just doing what you do when on the trail alone. Look at your map over and over again, disecting elevation changes distances, the typography above the elevation chart. Then I hear something in the woods across from the creek, I look up and see a little bear cub walking down to the creek then he stops and starts walking up the creek along the opposite bank. Shocked I just watched then I heard what sounded like a bulldozer go across the creek up the bank gowing through small tree limbs. You know the snap sound. Then I see her, a huge black shadow of a big bear, she stops and looks right at me. I was literally 20 feet down the trail from her. Words can never express the feeling that one gets when that close to a full grown adult bear with her cub trailing behind feet away from her. My biggest fear was that cub was going to get curious and come bouncing over to me.

I had my camera in my pocket and not once did it occur to me to get a snapshot. It would have been a great one for sure. Maybee one day when I become a bear watcher veteran only then will I brave up to pull the camera out of my pocket and snap a few.

HikerMom58
08-07-2012, 15:53
Wow... that is an amazing encounter!! My heart would have been in my throat when that "mama" looked at me! You are one brave chick. :)

Yeah, I don't think I would have been grabbing for my camera either. If you do hike the trail in 2013 0r 2014.. please let me know. :)

bigcranky
08-07-2012, 17:04
So far I have had great success in bear encounters (i.e., I have not been eaten) by talking to the bears, using the sort of voice I would use talking to a strange dog. Quiet, upbeat, confident, a dog training voice. Seriously, I start talking to the bear, complimenting her on her cubs, or whatever, and just keep up a running chatter while the bear stares at me like I'm a total idiot. In all cases, the bear had either run off, wandered away slowly, or just stood and watched me (and sometimes my family members) as we continue on the trail. The standing-and-staring has been the most common.

At the very least, this calms me down, which is helpful.

Incahiker
03-08-2013, 17:33
Lets just all remember, bears are all unique, just like humans. There are laid back bears who don't want any trouble (most bears I have come across), and there are just some plain old mean bears out there too (which I have not come across, and hope not too..) and everything in between. But I think the best thing is just to take it easy, make no sudden moves, and pretty much talk to it in an authoritative, yet polite way.. ;).

But it is really unnerving to have a 400 lbs bear come into your camp site after you have everything set up and just sniff around 20 feet away from you and your camp fire completely ignoring anything you do. That was probably the most adrenaline I had pumping in my body, it acted like I wasn't there even after speaking to it , and that typically means trouble. It just looked at me for a second and kept on sniffing. But after a while he just sniffed his way out of my camp, but very slowly. Kinda like a dog does when one lets them out to use the bathroom and they sniff around for 10 minutes.

Wasn't sleeping very well that night knowing that he was around.

HikerMom58
03-08-2013, 19:26
Wow... that is an amazing encounter!! My heart would have been in my throat when that "mama" looked at me! You are one brave chick. :)

Yeah, I don't think I would have been grabbing for my camera either. If you do hike the trail in 2013 0r 2014.. please let me know. :)

Note to self... Suckerfish is NOT a chick! He's a guy..

Deer Hunter
03-09-2013, 02:36
Below are a couple videos of bears I have encountered. Like Incahiker said, "Lets just all remember, bears are all unique, just like humans" , so there are no absolutes as to their behavior but most(black bears) don't want much to do with humans. They may be curious sometimes. No need to let a fear of bears keep you from enjoying your hike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WP-srQ5Qt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WP-srQ5Qt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMP3fo0sQN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMP3fo0sQN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqgDf5Q2G7o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqgDf5Q2G7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e12YDT4LhU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e12YDT4LhU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysSUfWiDZSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysSUfWiDZSM

Kookork
03-09-2013, 03:08
When I came to Canada my first few encounters with Black Bear was frightening to say the least. Now after numerous encounters I think I am not afraid of them. Yet I am always keeping my food hanging when I am hiking alone in the woods. Moose is another story for me. They do not bluff charge. I will avoid them as much as possible.

mother goose
03-09-2013, 03:29
I believe I had the honor of meeting you mom at Chester last year. Great lady

mother goose
03-09-2013, 03:35
Poor bear. They should leave the poor thing alone. Stop pestering it. People are idiots.

sorry that last quote was for piper, I met pipers mom at Chester