PDA

View Full Version : Winter nobo thru hike

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 15:31
Im looking for advice on gear and weather conditions for a north bound thru hike starting in febuary

Llama Legs
08-06-2012, 15:57
you'll need to have sleeping gear for 0-10 degrees *possibly*, definitely in the teens. If you are in tent or shelter you'll want a nice warm sleeping pad. When moving you shouldn't need true mountaineering garments, but you'll want to be able to hang around camp when it's dark and 20 degrees without discomfort. Biggest risk is getting wet then rapid drop after dark to well below freezing. Always keep the core garments and sleeping gear DRY.

kayak karl
08-06-2012, 16:00
what are "true mountaineering garments" seriously! this is the third time i have read something like this.

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 16:43
Thanks how much snow and or ice should I be prepared to deal with I haven't been able to find any consistent numbers

kayak karl
08-06-2012, 16:48
Thanks how much snow and or ice should I be prepared to deal with I haven't been able to find any consistent numbers
there are none. hope for the best and prepare for the worst. you will need some kind of ice traction device for boots, but i wouldn't bring snowshoes.

Llama Legs
08-06-2012, 17:03
I've been out with the early birds in two recent years and there wasn't a deep snow problem until GSMNP. I've heard that this year was not nearly as bad, with more hikers starting even earlier? It's not Mt. Washington, but I wouldn't make yourself miserable cold to just save a couple pounds. I second Karl's recommendation for traction on ice. I did not and it made for slow going...

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 17:46
Thanks guys this is great info when you say traction device i assume you mean crampons are there any that are reasonably priced? now for water treatment I was planning to use a pump but I've read that they freeze up alot is this true even if I drain the water out and if so what should I use as an alternate

Old Boots
08-06-2012, 17:58
I started NOBO mid- February this year. Used a 0 deg bag and thermarest 1.75 and was fine. Slept in tent and shelters. Wore mid weight silk long johns and short sleeve on top. Sometimes I wore a lightweight fleece shirt. In camp I wore a 900 fill down shirt. Rain jacket and convertibles. Fleece cap and glove-mittens. Never really cold.
hiked Oboz Windrivers but others used trail runners. Gaiters crampons maybe in GSMP but I didn't use them.

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 18:28
Does anybody know if there is a list of post offices and or businesses near the trail that accept mail drop pakages

kayak karl
08-06-2012, 18:46
somebody will list them. i only used Fontana dam cause all stores were closed.

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 19:20
What about bear safety is it still a problem in the winter or still a major concern

kayak karl
08-06-2012, 20:02
i think they are hibernating, i didn't see any or even tracks. saw a lot of boar and dog tracks.

Hairbear
08-06-2012, 20:09
i think they are hibernating, i didn't see any or even tracks. saw a lot of boar and dog tracks.

what are the towns like this time of year kk.are they well stocked for hikers or slim pickins

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 20:17
What size pack is best for a thru hike the one I have is the same one I had as a boy scout and I don't think it's big enough for all the gear and supplies needed

kayak karl
08-06-2012, 20:23
most places were regular towns with dollar general and supermarkets. i was using the Appalachian Pages (AT Guide now) and it was accurate with info. hostels were open. just Fontana was closed and i sent a food drop. when i got there the town was OFF. they shutdown all electric to replace a turbine. the PO was running on a generator :)

attroll
08-10-2012, 23:39
Moved this thread to the "General" forums.

Whack-a-mole
08-11-2012, 15:01
I did Springer to Unicoi Gap this past Feb. I had a 15 degree bag, and it was below that the first night and I was a little cold, but once I woke up enough to pull my down coat over me I was fine. The rest of the week it was a little warmer and my bag did great. I wear a pair of REI windproof and water proof pants while in camp and in the mornings, but I hiked in shorts all week and was fine, even when it was very cold and blustery on top of the mtns. There was a LOT of fresh bear scat this year, as the weather had been warmer than usual, and the bears did not truly hibernate this year as they usually do. It snowed a little bit the second night, but not deep enough to really be a hinderance. The third day it was so warm that I hiked without a shirt over Blood Mtn, and it wasn't too cold to do it, a very beautiful day. The thing about the southern Appalachians is, you never really know what you are going to get. Be prepared. Several days of 34 degrees with rain can be more brutal than a true cold snap. Even with having to carry extra gear and clothes, the winter is my most favorite time to hike. No bugs, no snakes, usually no bears and the views are spectacular in the crisp clear air. Good luck and enjoy your hike!

Snowleopard
08-12-2012, 13:16
... when you say traction device i assume you mean crampons are there any that are reasonably priced? now for water treatment I was planning to use a pump but I've read that they freeze up alot is this true even if I drain the water out and if so what should I use as an alternate
Real crampons are overkill for the AT down south. Kahtoola microspikes are great for ice or crusty or packed snow, they're reliable and easy to put on or take off: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3667589&cp=3677336.12811708.3690027

For water treatment in winter, steripen (UV) is probably best: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4045820 Chemicals such as aqua mira tablets take longer to work in cold water. Boiling your water is safe but inconvenient.

Tipi Walter
08-12-2012, 13:54
The biggest problem winter backpackers have in the Southeast is deep snow and/or "snowdowns"---whereby brush, rhododendron, and pines heavy with snow lean over and down onto the trail. Many AT thruhikers starting in Jan/Feb usually end up bailing to the closest town when conditions turn ugly since, let's face it, the AT stays atop ridgelines most of the time where conditions are the worst.

This last winter was absurdly mild, March was the warmest on record, but the two previous were hellish unless you love to backpack thru 2 foot deep snow and snow drifts with the mentioned snowdowns. Snowshoes are basically useless on butt steep trails in deep snow and especially useless when crawling under snowdowns two feet off the ground. Microspikes may or may not be necessary depending on how much extra weight you're willing to carry. Without them we end up taking baby steps on frozen mountainsides and resorting to the "bung abseil" where you descend a trail on your butt, sliding, and using your butt cheeks to grip the ice ha ha ha.

Beyond this, another big challenge for AT backpackers is carrying the necessary clothing to stay warm in camp as usually people don't want to haul the extra weight. What's extra? Two pair of gloves (one always stays dry), and ample torso layers for in-camp lounging so you won't have to immediately crawl into your sleeping bag at 6pm and stay till 7am just to keep warm. This means, for me, goose down pants and a beefy goose down parka or jacket like Feathered Friends Icefall parka or Western Mountaineering's Meltdown jacket. Overkill? Nope.

Papa D
08-12-2012, 14:51
Here is a clothing list for you.

On your person - typical winter hiking - daytime at about 40-45 degrees

rain pants over silk leggings
trail runners with gaiters and yak-trax or cables for your shoes - in snow and ice
long sleeved silky shirt
add wool ice-breaker sweater if it's in the 30s but you'll probably build up heat
hard shell Gore Tex rain jacket - if it's raining, misting, snowing, etc
stocking cap - on and off depending on how you feel
glove liners - ditto

nights average night in the teens or colder (and to keep in dry sack in your pack):

Expedition weight long underwear - top / bottom
Sweater - as mentioned above
Down Booties
extra pair - heavy smart wool socks
Down Jacket
Hard Shell Gore Tex Rain Jacket and Pants if necessary - Arcteryx is my favorite brand
-15 to Zero Degree Down bag with liner (at a minimum) - you can also wear your down jacket in your bag or use as pillow
Warm fleece hat - cover ears and ski type gloves

in addition to these items, you need to make damn sure that your down stuff is in the absolute DRY - protect it and only use it inside your dried out tent or shelter. You'll also need a real stove (not an alcohol stove). I would suggest a gas stove - like a whisperlight. You can transition to a pocket rocket or an alcohol stove in the late spring. You'll want to be able to cook lots of hot food and boil water quick - in the wind, the snow, and the rain. Also, carry at least one real nalgene bottle to make a hot water bottle if you need one for a warm-up. Do not carry a water pump (use aqua mira) - the pump will just freeze. Plan on a hostel at least one time per week unless you are super tough and experienced because you WILL want to dry out and warm up.

I suggest that you get out for a practice weekend or 3 in December if possible. I love to hike in the winter but you will be carrying more weight and as Tipi Walter has said, it can be really slow going. The GOOD news is that you will have a big jump on almost all the other thru-hikers and will miss the super crowded shelters that get crazy - especially in the Smokies. You will be rewarded for your hard suffering, come March or April.

You might P/M Tipi Walter too - - he REALLY knows how to winter camp.