PDA

View Full Version : BEST book(s) to read in anticipation of southbound thru hike????

corrkstarr
08-06-2012, 16:26
ive done a little searching online and keep coming across the same books so i thought id ask the experts.....
any suggestions on the best books....looking for ones that pertain specifically to south bound thru hike....
thank you thank you

johnnybgood
08-06-2012, 21:22
The Barefoot Sisters : Southbound - I highly recommend this, it's a great read.

Rain Man
08-06-2012, 21:43

A great one, yes. Since it's been mentioned, I'll add two

A Road More or Less Traveled, by Otis & Roberts
Appalachian Trail Through Hikers' Notebook by Cesar & Maud

Rain:sunMan

Blissful
08-06-2012, 21:54

Free today on Amazon on Kindle last I saw.

Blissful
08-06-2012, 21:55
ive done a little searching online and keep coming across the same books so i thought id ask the experts.....
any suggestions on the best books....looking for ones that pertain specifically to south bound thru hike....
thank you thank you

Mine that comes out next year... :) he he (shameless plug) I write about north and south.

whatnot
08-13-2012, 18:26
I recently read "In Walking Distance" by Jamie Cannon "Young Gun", MEGA 2006. Published 2010. He set out on his hike with no backpacking experience and almost no preparation. His packed weighed in at Baxter at 58 pounds.
This book is an interesting read as you follow Jamie's adjustment to the trail, the reduction of his pack weight over time to around 22- 24 pounds, and the build-up of his self-confidence. I think you'll enjoy it.

Papa D
08-13-2012, 18:48

YES! +1 to this

4shot
08-13-2012, 19:53
I read many books about the AT before I hiked it, which further whetted my appetite for doing a thru hike. There are many good ones out there however none really captured the essence of doing one. It's like reading a someone else's description of the taste of apple pie ala mode. you think you understand but one has to taste it for themselves ultimately. which is to say there are no "bad" books to read but don't expect too much from them.