PDA

View Full Version : Drugs on the trail

dmperkins74
08-06-2012, 18:04
No, not THOSE types of drugs!

So I was off for a day hike (which was one of two this weekend that totally kicked my ass... think I should just stick with spring, winter, and fall hiking) and I passed a guy who had rolled his ankle. He was with a friend and had plenty of mobility, but was going to come off the trail at the nearby road crossing to get picked up. I offered him some Advil but he said he'd already taken something (can't remember the name... some sort of strong muscle relaxer... said it's the only reason he's able to keep hiking.)

This got me thinking, what drugs do you all carry on hikes? I just have advil and benedryl (for my minor bee allergy) as well as tums, which doesn't really count anyway. If I were to have a really bad sprain or something, I'm wondering if the advil would do me any good.

So, what do you all take with you?

Jim Adams
08-06-2012, 18:12
immodium

geek

kayak karl
08-06-2012, 18:16
me, just ibuprofen, but if you take drugs for every little thing normally then you might need them. (if you need to take pills as per doc, take them)

johnnybgood
08-06-2012, 18:34
Immodium, Benadryl, Ibuprofen, Advil.
* Ibuprofen is not for everyone. Like Asprin, make sure you don't have stomach ulcers and you're not on blood thinners.

Supreme Being
08-06-2012, 18:44
Many hikers already know this, but for those who don't: Do not share any prescription painkillers on the trail! No matter how well intentioned it is - if the hiker has an adverse reaction or later is severely hurt from a fall or whatever while it is still in their system, you can be criminally or civilly charged or at absolute worst - charged with manslaughter or intent to distribute.

Papa D
08-06-2012, 18:46
Drugs on the trail :eek:! Maybe WOO should chime in about now.

Seriously, most carry Ibuprofen, a couple of aspirin, benadryl, and a couple of Tums. IMO, If you need "real" pain meds, you should probably be off the trail for a spell.

SCRUB HIKER
08-06-2012, 19:45
Ibuprofen, immodium, nasal decongestant spray (for getting to sleep when my sinuses are clogged) are the three things I don't set off without. Benadryl, Sudafed and Pepto-Bismol tabs are optional but I've brought them along before.

MuddyWaters
08-06-2012, 20:07
I carry ibuprofen, immodium, tylenol, antihistamine , benadryl, and a few oxycodone.

WalksInDark
08-06-2012, 20:55
Eppi pen (Epinephrine injection), prednisone, 1% cortisone creme...all for allergic reactions; advair and albuterol for athsma; prescription pain killers; batadyne for severe cuts; second skin for cuts, blisters, etc; most importantly, clove oil for tooth aches out in the field. Always carry a couple of day doses of strong antibiotic...never know when you might get a bad infection.

Don H
08-06-2012, 20:58
Doxycycline for Lyme disease.

Another Kevin
08-06-2012, 22:08
Ibuprofen (or naproxen sodium). Diphenhydramine. Famotidine - both as an antacid and (an off-label use) to potentiate the diphenhydramine for use in insect bites or poison ivy. Bismuth subsalicylate. Loperamide - just 4x 2 mg tabs, enough to get me off the trail. Maybe a prescription painkiller, again just a dose or two to get me off the trail. Triple antibiotic ointment. Acetazolamide if I'm going to be at higher elevations than we have here in the East. On a long trip I might want to consult a doc about some sort of empirical antibiotics, but right now I don't do long trips. The other stuff will hold me together long enough to get to a doc in a town.

I carry them sorted into tiny plastic bags (such as small electronic parts or notions are packaged in) and labeled.

Oh, and the most important drug of all on the trail - hand sanitizer and/or soap.

moocow
08-06-2012, 22:15
ibuprofen, naproxen, tums all in small pill bags.

Sarcasm the elf
08-06-2012, 22:19
I also take generic versions of maximum strength Pepcid AC or Tagament, both of which are twelve hour acid neutralizers. Hiking with a pack on does something awful for my acid reflux. I'm not sure if it's the physical exertion or just having the hip belt synced all day that cause it, but these help a lot.

Besides that as others have said:

Ibuprofen
benedryl - also helps you sleep at night
Zyrtec - 24 hour allergy med

Plus these in the first aid kit
Pepto bismulth tabs
Immodium

I usually bring more than I need and am willing to give them out to fellow hikers if they really need them. This is one of the reasons I only bring over the counter drugs.

shelb
08-06-2012, 22:23
While I have regularly used "Vitamin I" (Ibuprofen) on section hikes, what is the difference between ibuprofen and naproxen?

Astro
08-07-2012, 17:35
Lots of Ibuprofen and some Immodium AD. Also daily vitamains (A to Zinc, E, C, and baby asprin).

Pete Moss
08-07-2012, 17:43
After a case of the Beaver Fever in maine.....Flagyl

Old Hiker
08-07-2012, 19:15
Ibuprofen - enteric coated tabs to protect my sensitive tummy-tum, Aleve (can switch off with Ibu), extra strength Tylenol for simple pain, Claritin (spring pollen allergies) for sure next time. I think I'll plan on 1 tab per day of each, 7-10 days worth. Lots of pills, but I won't be taking them all each day, except for the Claritin.

I can't take prescription pain meds - intestinal problems.

Took immodium, never needed.

Hand sanitizer to make sure I didn't have to use the immodium.

GoldenBear
08-07-2012, 20:51
I've been on statins for over 25 years -- started with Mevacor but now take Lipitor.
I've also taken Avalide for blood pressure for about ten years.
I thus take both of the above every day, usually as one of the first things I do after waking up.
I take aspirin daily at home, breaking the normal tablets in two. As doing so on The Trail would be a pain, I instead take one tablet three times a week.
I carry one or two prescription sleeping pills in case my (normal) sleeping difficulties while tent camping get to be a problem.

In my "medicine chest" I have bismuth tablets, cortisone cream, throat lozenges, antihistamine pills, and antibiotic cream.

Bizarre as it may sound, for all the medicines I carry, I've never used ibuprofen in my life -- not even after my knee surgery. If I were hurting THAT badly, I change what I was doing rather than take pain medicine.

Not Sunshine
08-07-2012, 23:37
not everyone knows this, but ZANTAC (stomach acid pill) is also an anti-histamine; as is PEPCID. [of note: prilosec, protonix, nexium are not anti-histamines]
If you ever go to the ER with an acute allergic reaction, you'll likely be treated with this combination: IV benadryl IV zantac IV steroids and in some cases IM/SQ (muscle/skin shot) of epinephrine.

Because of this, I carry benadryl and zantac. I bring aspirin because I'm afraid if I don't I'll meet someone having a heart attack. I'm a fan of aleve (mostly because it's smaller and stronger). And colace.

soulrebel
08-08-2012, 08:53
vitamin I, zantac-acid blocker, pepto-bismol, immodium-anti-D ,benadryl, loratidine w/ decongestant, doxycycline, percocet, endurolytes-electrolyte. the Ibuprofen, zantac/pepto, and allergy meds get used...

pheldozer
08-08-2012, 16:54
Many hikers already know this, but for those who don't: Do not share any prescription painkillers on the trail! No matter how well intentioned it is - if the hiker has an adverse reaction or later is severely hurt from a fall or whatever while it is still in their system, you can be criminally or civilly charged or at absolute worst - charged with manslaughter or intent to distribute.

unless you forced the person to take the RX medicine, i don't see how any of those 'charges' would ever lead to a conviction. the injured party could sue you, but again, i doubt any judge or jury would render that decision based on giving someone a pain pill.
and nothing in that scenario comes close to what 'intent to distribute' applies to.

that being said, i bring ibuprofen, immodium (aka butt putty), sudafed, benadryl, and gold bond MEDICATED!

bigcranky
08-08-2012, 19:50
Naproxen is another NSAID like ibuprofen. The dosage is much lower - one pill twice a day is enough for me (and I think the limit is 3 per day on the OTC stuff.) Naproxen has long term side effects, particularly with gastro stuff, so it's not as common, but I like it for hiking because it works for me and is many fewer pills to carry and take. My wife can't take it, even low doses give her serious stomach problems.

SassyWindsor
08-08-2012, 20:13
Leave the snake bite kit at home :D

Theosus
08-08-2012, 21:20
unless you forced the person to take the RX medicine, i don't see how any of those 'charges' would ever lead to a conviction. the injured party could sue you, but again, i doubt any judge or jury would render that decision based on giving someone a pain pill.
and nothing in that scenario comes close to what 'intent to distribute' applies to.

that being said, i bring ibuprofen, immodium (aka butt putty), sudafed, benadryl, and gold bond MEDICATED!

Plus... Prove I gave it to them. You give a sick person a pill, odds are they probably won't remember your trail name, and likely never your real name. Not something I would worry about.

Also not something I would do. I don't carry anything prescription with me. It's all OTC... Benadryl, aspirin, pepcid. That's it. Oh, and a couple of melatonin brownies re-wrapped in a ziplock bag. One for me to go to sleep, and one to knock out the a-hole that steals my brownies.

Blue Wolf
08-08-2012, 21:38
I carry heroin.....when I can afford it,:rolleyes:....but usually Aleeve,Tums,Bayer aspirin,Advil and Ambian a few Xanax and a few Hydros I figure if I get hurt and can't walk I'm having a party until someone comes and gets me....

pheldozer
08-09-2012, 09:19
Plus... Prove I gave it to them. You give a sick person a pill, odds are they probably won't remember your trail name, and likely never your real name. Not something I would worry about.

yes officer, it was a man with a beard. he was wearing a backpack and hiking boots, and smelled like a homeless person. he handed me the pill, mumbled something about trail magic and started laughing maniacally

Pathfinder1
08-09-2012, 11:40
Hi...

My Doc recently prescribed Tramadol (genaric for Ultram) for my arthritic spine pain. Evidently they work very good, as I've never had to take one since I got them...!! :)

Pathfinder1
08-09-2012, 12:13
Hi...

My Doc recently prescribed Tramadol (generic for Ultram) for my arthritic spine pain, to be taken as needed. Evidently they work quite well, as I've never had to take one...!! :)

Velvet Gooch
08-09-2012, 15:45
DPH
ethanol
nicotine
caffeine (gum)

Veetack
08-10-2012, 20:41
Naproxen or Ibuprofen with Diphenhydramine
Diphenhydramine
Omeprazole
Ferrous Sulfate
Ascorbic Acid
Nicotine
Aspirin
Nitro Glycerine if I can get my hands on it
Hydrocodone/APAP
Epi pen if I can get my hands on one

I carry a lot of extra stuff though because I'm trained in medicine and have a personal/moral obligation to treat anyone with aliments that I may come across. I've also carried suture kits, scalpels and stuff to sterilize before.

Wise Old Owl
08-10-2012, 22:27
Diphenhydramine
Omeprazole
Ferrous Sulfate
Ascorbic Acid
Nicotine
Aspirin
Hydrocodone/APAP

I carry a lot of extra stuff though because I'm trained in medicine and have a personal/moral obligation to treat anyone with aliments that I may come across. I've also carried suture kits, scalpels and stuff to sterilize before.

This is only because you were the last post but I was intrigued - your 29! not 50!
why nicotine? Patches are available....
Why do you feel you need nitro?
Hydrocodone - is a prescribed pain killer and reduction of coughing...
Just go to a GP and tell them what you are doing and ask... if there's a relationship they do it. If not - go to another...

I am just asking And if its personal I will understand - like I said very interesting post.

Veetack
08-10-2012, 22:33
This is only because you were the last post but I was intrigued - your 29! not 50!
why nicotine? Patches are available....
Why do you feel you need nitro?
Hydrocodone - is a prescribed pain killer and reduction of coughing...
Just go to a GP and tell them what you are doing and ask... if there's a relationship they do it. If not - go to another...

I am just asking And if its personal I will understand - like I said very interesting post.

I carry things to use in the field, not on myself. If I come across a fellow hiker having chest pain, that NTG may very well save their life. I'm qualified to administer it. Most of my med kit is intended to use on others, not me. As for nicotine, I'm a smoker, I carry cigarettes. But a small amount of tobacco under a bandage covering a bee sting can work wonders.

I've always been a believer that your med kit isn't for you, it's for others. However, in the military, we learned that our med kit was for someone else to use on us. I personally want to be prepared in any situation that I may stumble upon. I'm often more concerned with the well being of others than myself. I can often be found on the trail taking a look at people's ailments, especially feet, and treating/recommending treatments. It's just in my nature to be a caregiver.

fiddlehead
08-10-2012, 23:38
Monkey balm is another good thing to carry.
Or Tiger balm if you can't find monkey balm (Tiger is stronger but monkey works fine)
I always have a few aspirin too.

If I got off the trail for rolling an ankle, I'd have quit every day.

Wise Old Owl
08-10-2012, 23:44
SO Here is where we appear to be so far.......

Acetazolamide Higher elevations

Ascorbic Acid Vitamins or avoiding Scurvy?
Ambian Sleep Aid
Aspirin Blood Thinner some pain reduction
Bismuth subsalicylate.
caffeine (gum)
cortisone cream
Diphenhydramine Allergy
Doxycycline Lyme disease.
DPH
Ethanol
Famotidine - both as an antacid and (an off-label use) to potentiate the diphenhydramine for use in insect bites or poison ivy.
Ferrous Sulfate
Hydrocodone/APAP related to Codeine
Ibuprofen
Immodium
Loperamide
Naproxen
Nicotine
Nitro Glycerine Heart Medicine
Omeprazole Long term acid reducer – daily...
Oxycodone Pain Reduction
Sudafed Sinus pain and pressure.
Tramadol (genaric for Ultram) for my arthritic spine pain
Tums Short term acid reduction....
Xanax
Zyrtec 24 hour allergy med

Antibiotic cream
Epi pen
Hand sanitizer
Nasal decongestant spray
Throat lozenges – hard candy would work
and antibiotic cream

Winds
08-11-2012, 01:27
Thanks WOO for the drug summary, and this is a great thread.

I will decide what to take WITH me, and what to bounce, and what to have ready to ship.
Yes, 3 lists for me.

I will definitely have 7-10 days worth of Doxycycline with me.

SassyWindsor
08-11-2012, 01:58
For wounds:
soap and water
peroxide in paste-form packaged in squeeze tube
tri-antibiotic paste in squeeze pkg/tube
bandages including band-aids of different size, gauze, tape (including duct-tape), butterfly
suture needle w/dental floss for stitching wound closed
iodine.

From experience, I carry more of the above than anything else. I do carry small amounts of other medication, such as benydryl, aspirin/aleve and digestive track meds. First-aid kits are designed around the trip you will be taking.

Another Kevin
08-11-2012, 05:20
WOO: You've got some things listed multiple times. Diphenhydramine, DPH, Benadryl are the same drug. Imodium and loperamide are the same drug.

Winds: I wouldn't carry doxycycline, I'd get it after the Lyme diagnosis. You don't have to start it immediately. (And if I needed doxycycline, I'd need to be off trail until I bought some heavy-duty sunscreen. That stuff makes a lot of people horribly sun-sensitive.

Winds
08-11-2012, 05:41
Winds: I wouldn't carry doxycycline, I'd get it after the Lyme diagnosis. You don't have to start it immediately. (And if I needed doxycycline, I'd need to be off trail until I bought some heavy-duty sunscreen. That stuff makes a lot of people horribly sun-sensitive.

There's a good deal of new research that has come out recently.

They now know and prescribe 1 day increased dosage to entirely knock out infected persons. This works IDEALLY as soon as possible to contraction.

I won't go into my age or details, but I haven't had a cold in 8 years. I also know and understand my body. If I get anything outside of a cold, flu (even strong), or food poisoning, I'll know it rather quickly. Then I'll wish to have the option to do something about it immediately and NOT wait until it forces downtime, or worse, getting off the trail permanently for the season. I've been reading about some sidelined THIS year, it isn't pretty and potentially very serious. And it's only going to get worse, not better due to the weather as you know.

Yes, the disease can be knocked out with a 7-10 day schedule of meds even weeks following contraction, but I won't wish to wait 4 days (or longer) until I can get to the meds, or someone can prescribe me what I knew I should have had at hand in the first place.

Doxycycline is CHEAP and EASY for me to get now, or upfront, so why put that off for any reason?

Lyme disease is so very serious, it's in MY best interest to be educated and prepared.

hobby
08-11-2012, 11:17
Diphenhydramine
Omeprazole
Ferrous Sulfate
Ascorbic Acid
Nicotine
Aspirin
Hydrocodone/APAP

what acute ailment is the ferrous sulfate for?

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2012, 13:59
Thanks WOO for the drug summary, and this is a great thread.

I will decide what to take WITH me, and what to bounce, and what to have ready to ship.
Yes, 3 lists for me.

I will definitely have 7-10 days worth of Doxycycline with me.

If you start it you must finish it.... and my doc gives me 30 day supplies. Its a minimum of 15 days should you get a deer tick bite - not a dog tic.... I take the spray and leave the Dox at home.

Winds
08-11-2012, 14:10
If you start it you must finish it.... and my doc gives me 30 day supplies. Its a minimum of 15 days should you get a deer tick bite - not a dog tic.... I take the spray and leave the Dox at home.

No, 10 days is plenty enough for my strategy to maintain ON TRAIL. If I start taking it, because I believe I am infected and not just bitten (that's really important) - then I will seek those far more intelligent on the subject than I such as my personal physician (who is beyond genius). In this particular regard, I won't take medications longer than 10 days without the guidance of medical professionals who know and understand what's best, and who I trust to help me back to better health.

This is not an argument, it's a glimpse of MY strategy.

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2012, 14:37
Well our doctors are on some different readings..We are both right.....

Borrelia burgdorferi resides in the gut of its host tick. In order for it to be transmitted to humans, it must first travel to the feeding tick's salivary gland. This process takes about 15 hours. Lyme disease cannot, therefore, be transmitted during the first 15 hours of tick attachment. Transmission of Lyme disease is, in fact, rare before 36 hours of attachment, and generally occurs only when ticks have been feeding for two to three days. By this time the tick is engorged (filled full with blood from its host), and easily visible. Ticks that are removed before they are engorged virtually never transmit Lyme disease.

The second approach to avoiding Lyme disease is to do a "tick check" at the end of each day spent in an endemic area.
Ticks can be anywhere on the body, but they especially like warm, hidden areas, like the underarm, groin, and the back of the knee. They can be removed with a tweezers placed as close to the skin as possible. The tick mouth parts may remain in the skin but will not transmit Lyme disease.
A deer tick from a Lyme-endemic area that is engorged will transmit Lyme disease about 10% of the time. There are two approaches to dealing with this situation. One is to observe the site of the bite for the development of the Lyme rash (erythema migrans), and monitor for "flu-like" symptoms for the next two to three weeks. Antibiotics can then be started if symptoms develop. An alternative is to take one double dose of doxycycline (200mg), which will reduce the risk of Lyme disease's developing to about 1.3%. Because the risk is not completely eliminated, however, you will still need to monitor for symptoms of Lyme disease.
A bite from an unengorged deer tick carries an extremely low risk of infection, and so does not justify the use of preventive antibiotics.
Thus, the third approach to Lyme disease prevention might include a single 200mg doxycycline dose after removal of an engorged deer tick, if you are in a region where there is known to be Lyme disease.
Symptoms of early Lyme disease can include a "bull's eye" rash (erythema migrans), fevers, headache, muscle and joint pains. Later manifestations of Lyme disease can include arthritis, heart block, Bell's palsy, radiculopathy (that is, pain and other symptoms like numbness, tingling, or weakness in your arms or legs that is caused by a problem with your nerve roots), meningitis, central nervous system disease, and chronic neuropathy (nerve damage that can cause symptoms such as weakness, numbness, abnormal sensations such as burning, tickling, pricking or tingling, and pain in the arms, hands, legs and/or feet.)
Treatment of Lyme disease depends on the stage and form of the disease. The symptoms of Lyme disease can, at times, take weeks to months to completely resolve. Symptoms are often not completely gone by the end of antibiotic treatment.
Treatment of Lyme Disease: Early Lyme disease: No blood testing necessary.
Patients are treated with 10-21 days of one of the following oral antibiotics:

Doxycycline 100mg twice daily
Amoxicillin 500mg three times daily
Cefuroxime 500mg twice daily

SOURCE http://www.hss.edu/conditions_lyme-disease-prevention-treatment.asp

Sarcasm the elf
08-11-2012, 14:55
Thanks WOO, great article.

Have you fund any info on whether the tiny (nymph stage?) deer ticks can transmit Lyme? These are the ones that are almost impossible to see when doing a tick check in the field and always worry me, but I have heard conflicting reports of whether they are a common carrier for Lyme.

I recently found one of these on me, though it was fortunately unattached. I'll post a photo of it later today to show just how small these suckers can be.

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2012, 15:05
I went down that pike a year back and didn't find much.... I just read... - I can ask someone though he won't get back to me for a few days...

atmilkman
08-11-2012, 15:08
My doctor gave me a script for Doxycycline that is good for a year and told me to just hang on to it and get it filled if needed. He also told me that if and when I did get it filled that it would be good for a year. Is this correct?

Winds
08-11-2012, 15:13
Have you fund any info on whether the tiny (nymph stage?) deer ticks can transmit Lyme? I have heard conflicting reports of whether they are a common carrier for Lyme.

Oh certainly!

"Most humans are infected through the bites of immature ticks called nymphs." - From the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/transmission/index.html

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2012, 15:16
Hey that's why I love this blog if I don't have an answer someone always comes thru... Thanks Winds.

Winds
08-11-2012, 15:19
Hey that's why I love this blog if I don't have an answer someone always comes thru... Thanks Winds.

Yeah, it's REALLY in our best interest to try to understand AND stay atop this ugliness especially if we are going to live in it ever.

Sarcasm the elf
08-11-2012, 15:58
Yeah, it's REALLY in our best interest to try to understand AND stay atop this ugliness especially if we are going to live in it ever.

What do you mean by "live in it ever?". I'm from Connecticut, this is part of my daily life. ;)

I've had lyme twice and each year pull dozens of ticks off myself as well as pulling liiterally hundreds of ticks off my dogs. In my experience the two most important things are periodic tick checks, lots of quick checks during they day and a thorough one at night, and knowing the symptoms so you can get treatment fast.

While you're hiking remember that if you feel a little tickle like something is crawling on you, check to see what it is, doing this I am able to remove a lot of ticks before they ever attach, also remember that the combination of fever and joint aches means it's probably time to have a doctor check you out. Don't rely on waiting to see a bullseye rash, I've never had one, despite my confirmed lyme tests.

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2012, 16:10
What do you mean by "live in it ever?". I'm from Connecticut, this is part of my daily life. ;)

I've had lyme twice and each year pull dozens of ticks off myself as well as pulling liiterally hundreds of ticks off my dogs. In my experience the two most important things are periodic tick checks, lots of quick checks during they day and a thorough one at night, and knowing the symptoms so you can get treatment fast.

While you're hiking remember that if you feel a little tickle like something is crawling on you, check to see what it is, doing this I am able to remove a lot of ticks before they ever attach, also remember that the combination of fever and joint aches means it's probably time to have a doctor check you out. Don't rely on waiting to see a bullseye rash, I've never had one, despite my confirmed lyme tests.

Ha I would have to stop every mile... If you don't know I am a Bed Bug inspector for NJ,PA - I don't sleep so well either.

hobby
08-12-2012, 10:24
My doctor gave me a script for Doxycycline that is good for a year and told me to just hang on to it and get it filled if needed. He also told me that if and when I did get it filled that it would be good for a year. Is this correct?

In Georgia---The actual prescription is good for a year. After filling, the drug has an expiration date. Most pharmacies automaticly assign a one year expiration for the drug on each prescription filled. When you have the Doxy rx filled, ask the pharmacist for the actual expiration date. It will probably be much longer than one year. But this is in ideal storage conditions. (room temp, low humidity). On the trail, even in a zip-loc, storage is not 'ideal' (hot and humid) so the drug may not remain at full potency for the actual expiration date. How long will it last? Who knows! Either take the unfilled rx with you and have it filled in town if needed,(should not be a problem for and out of state prescription for a non-controlled substance--use an independent pharmacy-not a chain) or have it filled at the start of your hike and it should be fine for 6 months anyway.

atmilkman
08-12-2012, 10:47
In Georgia---The actual prescription is good for a year. After filling, the drug has an expiration date. Most pharmacies automaticly assign a one year expiration for the drug on each prescription filled. When you have the Doxy rx filled, ask the pharmacist for the actual expiration date. It will probably be much longer than one year. But this is in ideal storage conditions. (room temp, low humidity). On the trail, even in a zip-loc, storage is not 'ideal' (hot and humid) so the drug may not remain at full potency for the actual expiration date. How long will it last? Who knows! Either take the unfilled rx with you and have it filled in town if needed,(should not be a problem for and out of state prescription for a non-controlled substance--use an independent pharmacy-not a chain) or have it filled at the start of your hike and it should be fine for 6 months anyway.
Thank you hobby. I may get it filled in March and just carry it if this winter is anywhere as mild as last and it seems like there is going to be an early onslaught, and if we get a typical winter I'll just wait till around May and I'm further north hopefully.
But as you know the trail is the only drug you need. Once you get on it you will be so high on nature and the outdoor thingy and finding ones self and discovering the meaning of life that you will not need any synthetic drugs.

HooKooDooKu
08-15-2012, 14:23

All those arguments can't protect you from survivors filing a law-suit against you. Even if you win such a law-suit, you still come out the loser just for having to fork out the $$$ to defend yourself.

lemon b
08-15-2012, 15:16
BP Med, a couple benadryl, and a Vitamin I stash.

Tom Murphy
08-15-2012, 16:22
This might not apply to a popular trail like the AT, but on solo trips on less traveled trails, the one thing you truly need is as strong a pain reliever as you can get your hands on.