PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Thru-Hikers let's Tough Mudder

sublimety
08-06-2012, 18:55
I am checking to see if anyone else would be interested in getting off the trail next year on June 1 or 2nd to participate in the New England Tough Mudder. My girlfriend and I are starting on March 17 and figure we should be in the general area to get to this specific Tough Mudder. The idea is that we will probably be in the best shape of our lives (or at least close). I can't think of a better place to find people that just may be crazy enough to want to try it.

P.s. I have done a Warrior Dash and it was amazingly fun.

Dina and Ty
Team Pro-Mad

jeremyds37
08-09-2012, 19:17
My wife and did one last February in GA. Freezing the whole time. Our GA Tough Mudder - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOOfu6P24Bs
We're also doing two this October (TX and SC). They're great!

sublimety
08-10-2012, 17:34
Cool, I thought maybe some people doing the trail next year would be interested in adding another experience to their resume but I guess not. I am hoping they will release the dates for the Run for your Lives 2013 so we could possible work that in too.

Dutchie
08-13-2012, 16:13
OH

MY

GOD!

This is the coolest thing ever! Just spend a couple of hours on the Tough Mudder website and I love it!

Hi, my name is Dennis, 30 years old and from the Netherlands. Next year I'll be comin to the states on a 6 month visa to attempt a thru hike of the AT. I'll be starting the 22nd of march. I would love to be a part of your team for the tough mudder event but I'm not sure how I have to arrange it.

Just a couple of questions that come to mind:

Are you guys going for the Pennsylvania one on the first and second of june?
Do I have to buy an event ticket online?
How are you going from the trail to the event and vice versa?
Will there be a place to stay or where I can set up my tent?

Let me know,

Greetings from Holland,

Dennis

PS Just opened the run for your lives website, already love it!!

WhiplashEm
08-13-2012, 21:30
I might be interested but the electricity thing kind of freaks me out. Although who knows how many times I'll have been hit by lightening by then?

fiddlehead
08-13-2012, 21:51
One of my good friends got into these Tough Mudders a few years ago and now does a few every year.
He told me the other day that he signed up for this one in New England.
He loves them.

sublimety
08-16-2012, 00:47
Sorry guys I posted the wrong dates or they changed the dates it's August 17 18

sublimety
08-16-2012, 00:58
Dutchie, I will try to answer your questions. We are going to sign up for the one in New England on August 18 (it hasn't been opened for registration yet, but you can sign up for the e-mail) You will have to sign up online when it opens up (Team Pro-Mad), not sure on the transportation thing yet worse case we take a bus. Once we get to the site we will be able we might be able to camp at the site if not we could stay at a hotel (split costs) I hope this helps I hope you decide to tough mudder with us.

Whiplashem, I hear ya about the electricity. Hopefully none on the lightning strikes or I will make sure to avoid you during storms. I hope you will decide to join us.

Sweet fiddlehead, so you have another reason to do it so you can tough mudder with your friend.

Take care everyone when more info is available I will make sure to post it.

sublimety
08-16-2012, 01:24
So I did some checking. If they do the New England at the same place the did it this year (Mt. Snow) it will only be 25 miles from Benington, Vt which has a post office listed for the vermont section. So it's not that far from the trail but we would have to figure out where we would be at that time.

Winds
08-16-2012, 02:31
I might be interested but the electricity thing kind of freaks me out. Although who knows how many times I'll have been hit by lightening by then?

Hilarious!

I got friends trying to drag me to one of those. I can't find a good reason to continue putting it off as a few I know who have been thought it was a great day.

WhiplashEm
08-16-2012, 19:39
The more I think about electrocution the less it bothers me. Do you know about when they'll open registration?

Dutchie
08-17-2012, 05:24
I just signed up for the registration email.

I'm a little nervous about the electricity thing too, but if thousands of people do it every year how bad can it be...

sublimety
08-17-2012, 12:55
17076I can't wait I need some tough mudder pics to go with my Warrior Dash ones. LOL

WhiplashEm
08-17-2012, 19:14
Nice! Looks like a good time

v0v18
08-19-2012, 16:21
sounds good, planning on starting my hike a week or so later than you, but id be interested

WhiplashEm
08-19-2012, 21:38
On the other hand, I just happened to check out the registration fee and I'm going to have to back out...

sublimety
08-20-2012, 01:06
On the other hand, I just happened to check out the registration fee and I'm going to have to back out... All you got to do is save 20 bucks out of each pay check and you got the 85 or 95 bucks easy.

WhiplashEm
08-20-2012, 21:07
I know but I'm having serious money anxiety right now as it is. I'll hold the idea in my head for a little while and see if it sticks. If it does, I'll do it.

sublimety
08-21-2012, 12:14
http://www.customink.com/designs/proofs/car0-000r-26jz/back.jpg (http://www.customink.com/designs/geomudder3/car0-000r-26jz/hotlink?pc=HL-46120&cm_mmc=hotlink-_-2-_-Body_img-_-designback)http://www.customink.com/designs/proofs/car0-000r-26jz/front.jpg (http://www.customink.com/designs/geomudder3/car0-000r-26jz/hotlink?pc=HL-46120&cm_mmc=hotlink-_-2-_-Body_img-_-designfront)Possible team shirt if we get enough people interested, feedback?

sublimety
08-21-2012, 17:56
I know but I'm having serious money anxiety right now as it is. I'll hold the idea in my head for a little while and see if it sticks. If it does, I'll do it. I hope you will decide its worth wild. I understand the money anxiety, I am going to quit my job in February that I have had for almost 8 years. It is a little scary but exciting at the same time.

WhiplashEm
08-22-2012, 21:50
T-shirt looks pretty cool.... i just hope it doesn't really end with the Tough Mudder! Yeah I'm quitting my job of over 6 years to do this, not having an income source is really the only thing that freaks me out about it all. Life's an adventure, what's gonna happen will happen I guess. Are you guys already registered for it?

sublimety
08-23-2012, 00:46
Thanks, it won't end there. My girlfriend and I made some pretty heavy decisions about this. We decided that we don't want to live like everyone else, this is just the begining we are going to be profesional nomads (hence Pro-Mad) when we are done with the AT we are going to find jobs for 5-6 months and then go on another adventure(PCT 2014) and just keep doing that for the rest of our lives or until we burn out. It isn't officially open yet we signed up for the newsletter, so as soon as it opens they will notify us.

WhiplashEm
08-23-2012, 06:41
Sounnds pretty sweet.

Dutchie
08-23-2012, 10:45
Same here. Gonna quit my job (teaching), but gonna do it with a big smile! After the AT I'm planning on going to New Zealand on a working visa.

I like the t-shirt, hope we can get a nice group of thru-hikers together. I'm definately down!

sublimety
08-24-2012, 03:10
Same here. Gonna quit my job (teaching), but gonna do it with a big smile! After the AT I'm planning on going to New Zealand on a working visa.

I like the t-shirt, hope we can get a nice group of thru-hikers together. I'm definately down!
Sweet, what sort of work are you going to do in NZ? Go back to teaching?

Dutchie
08-24-2012, 12:43
Any work I can get. It would be nice to get a teaching job (i'm a P.E. teacher btw) but i'm not sure if that is possible. Maybe some fruit picking.

I like the way you guys are gonna be professional nomads. Do you have to find a new job everytime you come back from a trip?

v0v18
08-24-2012, 15:49
how much this going to cost me? :)

sublimety
08-24-2012, 17:58
how much this going to cost me? :) If you register the first week it will be $95 for saturday or $85 for sunday. After that you will have to check the site to find out. But remember you get a t-shirt, head band, a beer, memories and any mud stuck to you. Plus you can get a free tough mudder tattoo if you'd like.

WhiplashEm
08-25-2012, 07:26
Will we be doing the Saturday or the Sunday?

sublimety
08-25-2012, 16:50
Will we be doing the Saturday or the Sunday? That can be up to the group.

sublimety
08-25-2012, 16:54
Any work I can get. It would be nice to get a teaching job (i'm a P.E. teacher btw) but i'm not sure if that is possible. Maybe some fruit picking.

I like the way you guys are gonna be professional nomads. Do you have to find a new job everytime you come back from a trip? Yeah we will have to find new jobs every time but it will leave us the chance to move all around the US.

sublimety
08-30-2012, 11:47
What's everyone day preference? My guess is Sat. will be more of a party atmosphere and Sun. will be less crowded (and $10 cheaper)

WhiplashEm
08-30-2012, 14:22
My first inclination is Sunday because I'm cheap but at that point I might be willing to pay $10 extra for a good partay so i guess I'm up for anything

Dutchie
09-01-2012, 09:03
It doesn't really matter to me what day. I think you have a good point with saturday being more of a party atmosphere. And after being on the trail for so long I think I could use a good party!

robertblake60
09-04-2012, 11:59
I would consider this. I plan on starting 3/11/13. I did the Tough Mudder in Wisconsin in 2011 and it was great. Would like to do another.

...and the electricity isn't that bad. You're through that obstacle in like 4 seconds and a lot of people don't even get shocked (I did, and wasn't bad at all).

sublimety
09-04-2012, 13:55
I would consider this. I plan on starting 3/11/13. I did the Tough Mudder in Wisconsin in 2011 and it was great. Would like to do another.

...and the electricity isn't that bad. You're through that obstacle in like 4 seconds and a lot of people don't even get shocked (I did, and wasn't bad at all).
Awesome we need a Tough Mudder veteran, I don't know about everyone else but I am so stoked to go on the trail next year already I might have a breakdown waiting.

Also here is a link to the New England 2 Official Tough Mudder video at Mt. Snow
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gsa0p5QwPgk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WhiteWolsey
09-13-2012, 21:18
Glad to see this post. Im doing one in austin tx in 3 weeks. Ill report back and let everyone know what my experience was like. mmm electrocicity, mud, miles, ice. sounds like a future AT'ers dream.

sublimety
09-17-2012, 13:39
Glad to see this post. Im doing one in austin tx in 3 weeks. Ill report back and let everyone know what my experience was like. mmm electrocicity, mud, miles, ice. sounds like a future AT'ers dream. Have fun, can't wait to hear about it.

sublimety
09-26-2012, 01:35
For anyone interested Run for your Lives 2013 schedule is up! We will be registering for the Sept. 14 2013 event in Dalton, Georgia(got to go back to get the Jeep after we finish AT so timing works out perfect)

sublimety
10-19-2012, 18:19
I hope everyone is still interested, I am a little surprised they still haven't opened registration for the event. I guess patience is a virtue.

slntmnt
10-25-2012, 21:49
This sounds like an awesome idea! I've wanted to do one of these for a while, might be the perfect time! Once they open registration do you know how long its open for?

youngeric86
10-26-2012, 01:26
This sounds like an awesome idea! I've wanted to do one of these for a while, might be the perfect time! Once they open registration do you know how long its open for?

Usually until it sells out or a week or 2 before the event. It's cheaper if you register early.

Japp
10-27-2012, 17:55
I was just thinking about this exact same thing last night and lo and behold I come on today and see this. I plan on starting just after march 23rd, and June 1 being my birthday this sounds like an awesome time. Definitely down to mudd mid thru hike.

NLaeger
11-02-2012, 19:08
I love this idea!!! I just did my first TM a couple weeks ago and yes it sucked, yes it was cold, and yes you do get shocked...with that being said I would totally do it again!!!! and to hop off the trail and do it sounds awesome!!!! I am planning on starting around the same time as you guys so this might just work out perfectly!!! And I freaking love the shirts!!!

squireel
11-10-2012, 12:30
Do you have room on the team for a crazy ass Squireel? I'm in!

sublimety
11-12-2012, 01:16
Of course, You can't Tough Mudder without a Squireel!

Camel2012
11-16-2012, 07:01
If I'm anywhere close, I would love to do it. I myself am a disabled vet, and a member of the wounded warrior project. I haven't been to one of the events, but i would love to give it a shot. I'm leaving on Mar 8th, and i think there is suppose to be a few along the trail during the hiking season: DC, Pennsylvania, Boston...

Camel2012
11-16-2012, 07:11
And as far as the cost, you can justify it because it's for charity, and raises money for the wounded warrior project. They do some great things.

squireel
11-18-2012, 01:16
Thanks for your service camel2012.

sublimety
12-04-2012, 20:18
Tough Mudder is open for registration for anybody still interested.

Dutchie
12-05-2012, 14:38
Count me in!

youngeric86
01-08-2013, 19:27
Well looking at my itinerary i may be able to do it, would it be saturday or sunday?

robertblake60
01-09-2013, 17:32
And as far as the cost, you can justify it because it's for charity, and raises money for the wounded warrior project. They do some great things.

Not saying that it's not a good cause or anything, but Tough Mudder is VERY much a FOR PROFIT organization. I'm curious how much they raise for WWP versus their bottom line.

I'd pay for it just cause it's a good time. I did the one in Wisconsin in 2011.

sublimety
01-13-2013, 13:53
Well looking at my itinerary i may be able to do it, would it be saturday or sunday?
Saturday, I am pretty sure I will be signing up on Thursday for it.

Camel2012
01-13-2013, 14:44

Not saying that it's not a good cause or anything, but Tough Mudder is VERY much a FOR PROFIT organization. I'm curious how much they raise for WWP versus their bottom line.

I'd pay for it just cause it's a good time. I did the one in Wisconsin in 2011.

You are correct. I was totally off base on that one. Thanks for pointing that out. I hate spreading false info.

Camel2012
01-13-2013, 14:48
Sorry,i meant to put this on the last post.

The way they help raise money is by helping people get sponsored through their site, and if they raise at least $150 they get their entry refunded...

sublimety
01-17-2013, 19:36
All right folks, I have officially registered and invite you to join our team. We have a 10:40 am start time on Saturday, our team name is Team Pro-Mad and the team password is georgia2mudder. I hope to see you there!

Dutchie
01-18-2013, 14:06
The Netherlands represent! I just signed up for Team Pro-Mad!! Can't wait!

qwerty
01-19-2013, 18:08
my first time hearing of tough mudder. cool!
QWERTY

sublimety
01-20-2013, 13:23
my first time hearing of tough mudder. cool!
QWERTY You should join us qwerty.