PDA

View Full Version : How many pounds of food?

Pappa Green Jeans
04-27-2005, 23:42
I was just wandering how many pounds of food do you usually cary between resupply points. How much food do you pick up when you resupply? I know this depends on where you're at but just tell me generally in your experience. :bse

neo
04-27-2005, 23:59
i average 2lbs food per day:cool: neo

Frosty
04-28-2005, 00:14
I was just wandering how many pounds of food do you usually cary between resupply points. How much food do you pick up when you resupply? I know this depends on where you're at but just tell me generally in your experience. :bseJust a question here. Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever backpacked before? I know from your other threads you started that that you are going to hike the Maine AT. If you have never backpacked before, this might be a bit ambitious. You might try a few weekenders. These will allow you to field test your gear, and also tell you how much food (and what type) you need per day.

If you've done some backpacking, just bring the stuff you brought your other backpacks, in amounts appropriate to get you to the next re-supply with a day or two extra because Maine trails are on the rough side and it takes longer than you expect.

Pappa Green Jeans
04-28-2005, 00:18
Just a question here. Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever backpacked before? I know from your other threads you started that that you are going to hike the Maine AT. If you have never backpacked before, this might be a bit ambitious. You might try a few weekenders. These will allow you to field test your gear, and also tell you how much food (and what type) you need per day.

If you've done some backpacking, just bring the stuff you brought your other backpacks, in amounts appropriate to get you to the next re-supply with a day or two extra because Maine trails are on the rough side and it takes longer than you expect.
Thanks. I've backpacked before. Not in Maine or on the AT. I was wondering in YOUR experiences. And I am also trying to get a feel of what good food you people like to eat.

Peaks
04-28-2005, 08:03
Thanks. I've backpacked before. Not in Maine or on the AT. I was wondering in YOUR experiences. And I am also trying to get a feel of what good food you people like to eat.

Real simple: A typical backpacker burns off around 4000 calories per day. So, you need to eat 4000 calories per day. Backpackers look for foods that has 100 calories per ounce. So, this means that you will be carrying about 40 ounces of food per day, or about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of food per day. Why type of food has 100 calories per ounce? Grains (like outmeal and rice), pastas, peanut butter.