PDA

View Full Version : Backpack

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 22:59
Hey guys what size backpack is best for a thru hike I still have my old one from my boy scout days and I don't think it's big enough

Blue Wolf
08-06-2012, 23:15
I would go for what they call the Teraplane? (sp) I think it will hold 7000CU plus.........that will probably suit you just fine....

kayak karl
08-06-2012, 23:16
you will need a pack big enough to carry your gear and 5-6 days of food. we don't know your gear. if you bought it when you bought the boy scout pack have fun:)

i carried a golite pinnacle (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/golite-pinnacle-backpack-expandable-for-women%7Ep%7E2104n/), but have been carrying a equinox katahdin (http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/backpacks-and-pack-covers/katahdin-ultralite-pack.cfm). don't know if it will work in winter and might go back to golite

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 23:20
I'm updateing most of my gear as I go getting some newer stuff and winter gear. I've mostly done summer hiking in new Mexico and such I was just looking for a ballpark idea

Blue Wolf
08-06-2012, 23:26
OK let me be more intuitive... somewhere in the 3600CU should do for a start....NOBO I assume?

Tinker
08-06-2012, 23:27
I would go for what they call the Teraplane? (sp) I think it will hold 7000CU plus.........that will probably suit you just fine....

Anything that big should be called a BIVY SACK - LOL :D.

That's winter expedition sized.

2800 cu. in. is what I need for my gear for three season - three to five day hikes (actually, I did the Hundred Mile "Wilderness" in Me. with it - had half of my food sticking out the top for three days - hike took 8 days).

Admittedly, I'm pretty much a minimalist, so I'd recommend a pack between 3,000 and 5,000 cu. in. Anything bigger and you'll be tempted to overfill it with stuff you really don't need.

The good thing is that you can ship items home from nearly anywhere on the AT, so you won't be forced to carry items that you decide you don't need for weeks.

Fwiw, the pack is the same one in the picture to the left (and most of my photos here).

House of Payne
08-06-2012, 23:36
And you will get many different ideas from folks who do things and have things that are not the same as you. I have been told, and I practice this myself, to fit the gear to the bag not vice versa.

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 23:53
Thanks guys for all the help I'm so glad this resource exists for hikers nothing beats first hand experince

Rinosmoker
08-06-2012, 23:55
The pack I am considering is an osprey argon 110 pack if anyone knows anything about those input is appreciated

Feral Bill
08-07-2012, 01:55
I would go for what they call the Teraplane? (sp) I think it will hold 7000CU plus.........that will probably suit you just fine.... Great pack (I have one) for a winter expedition, or for a parent carrying most of a familiy's gear. Probably not what you want.

jeffmeh
08-07-2012, 06:11
Check out the ULA Circuit as a reasonably sized pack for an AT thru hike. There are many other good choices out there, but few reasons to go much bigger.

garlic08
08-07-2012, 07:01
That's a real tough question, because if you stand on the AT during thru hiking season you'll see a pretty wide range. Every hiker has a different idea of what needs to be carried. And a pack, like nature itself, abhors a vacuum--no matter what pack you have, you will fill it up. The best advice I've seen on this site is, as mentioned above, to fit the pack to your gear. And that, unfortunately, usually means a couple of tries before you get it right. Not everyone finishes a thru hike with the pack he or she started with.

The ULA Circuit is a good choice to start with. I saw quite a few of those on my hike. It would be easy to sell second hand, too, if it doesn't work out.

Blissful
08-07-2012, 15:41
you will need a pack big enough to carry your gear and 5-6 days of food.

5-6 days of food? Not me! Four at the most. Three is better before a resupply.

Blissful
08-07-2012, 15:42
The ULA Circuit is a good choice to start with. I saw quite a few of those on my hike. It would be easy to sell second hand, too, if it doesn't work out.

Love mine. Great pack. But true, get your other gear first. Pack is last.

Rasty
08-07-2012, 15:48
The pack I am considering is an osprey argon 110 pack if anyone knows anything about those input is appreciated

110 liters is really huge. Are you only planning to resupply once a month?

kayak karl
08-07-2012, 17:21
5-6 days of food? Not me! Four at the most. Three is better before a resupply.
in another thread he talk about hiking in winter. i play it safe in the winter.

Lone Wolf
08-07-2012, 17:28
Hey guys what size backpack is best for a thru hike I still have my old one from my boy scout days and I don't think it's big enough

http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

Rinosmoker
08-07-2012, 18:06
Yes I will be hiking in winter I plan to leave in febuary