PDA

View Full Version : Where to start a fall hiking trip?

milo
08-07-2012, 11:25
I will have some time off of work this fall from early September through to the end of the year. I realize this isn't the best time to start a hiking trip on the AT but unfortunately I can't control the timing. My thought is start hiking south and see how far I can get before I have to return home or until the weather gets too cold. Where should I start the hike taking into account weather, hunting season, very little time to prepare, scenery, leaves changing etc...?

I have all the equipment and I'm in reasonable shape. I will not have much time to prepare resupply boxes so the ability to resupply along the way is important.

Thanks.

ekeverette
08-07-2012, 12:19
im starting in marion va on 9/14/15th, going as far as i can until the cold runs me out.... feel free to contact me....

moldy
08-07-2012, 15:30
I would start in the White Mt's in New Hampshire and head South. You can decide which end of the White's to begin. I would pick Gorham. They are still hikeable then and less crowded after Labor Day. With any luck you could make it as far as Harpers Ferry, WV.

Blissful
08-07-2012, 15:39
I'd start at Harper's Ferry and take it to Springer. Then half the trail is essentially done. And great autumn colors in the Roan Highlands and elsewhere. Just prepare for hunters.

milo
08-07-2012, 16:40
I'd start at Harper's Ferry and take it to Springer. Then half the trail is essentially done. And great autumn colors in the Roan Highlands and elsewhere. Just prepare for hunters.

Besides wearing some bright colors is there anything else to do? Do they occupy the shelters/huts or cause any sort of problems?

Smooth & Wasabi
08-07-2012, 21:58
I'd probably go south from ME that time of year, you would have spectacular autumn colors and great hiking weather for a long while. If you get caught with weather skip sections. If your not doing the whole trail you could consider skipping to the southern third after october. Just wear obvious orange like a hat and be aware of hunters. Shelter space shouldn't be a problem

moldy
08-07-2012, 22:24
No, hunters don't spend much time in shelters.

pyroman53
08-08-2012, 10:44
Were I in your position, my starting point would depend on where I lived. If living anywhere in the east, I would go to the farthest point away from where I lived, start there and start hiking towards my home. That way future hiking logistics is made less complicated. Of course, making allowances for the Whites.

Kerosene
08-08-2012, 10:46
I would also suggest that autumn hikers be prepared for low water conditions. Bring a "dip cup" and be prepared to lug additional water over dry sections. I actually use a tiny 6-oz plastic juice bottle for my dip cup, which fits in most tight spaces when a spring is dripping instead of flowing or the water source is very shallow. The advantage over a cup is that it adds a bit more carry capacity. Sometimes a bring a 4L water sack if I expect to dry camp. I usually have 2.5-3+ liters of carrying capacity for my fall section hikes.

fredmugs
08-08-2012, 13:32

Completely agree. After watching Moonshiners you should also be on the lookout for them in SW Virginia.

milo
08-14-2012, 09:15

I'm most likely going to do the springer/harpers ferry section either SOBO or NOBO. Anyone know if I need a bear canister in this section? hanging ok? I've hiked a section in CT/MA where there was bear boxes at all the shelters. Are there any bear boxes along the springer/harpers ferry section?

Thanks!

wornoutboots
08-14-2012, 17:13
there are no bear boxes on the AT, hang your food, some sites will have cables & some will not. I suggest going SOBO, you'll be able to take in more of the Fall colors that way. Happy Hiking!

The Cleaner
08-14-2012, 17:26
No, hunters don't spend much time in shelters. I guess you haven't been to Jerry's Cabin shelter during the TN bear hunt.They usually trash the place,burn the register and park 4-wheelers there.....

RED-DOG
08-14-2012, 17:54
HELL we all can't be perfect like all you "internet hikers" apparently you guys now everything from sitting on your couch.

The Cleaner
08-14-2012, 18:46
HELL we all can't be perfect like all you "internet hikers" apparently you guys now everything from sitting on your couch. I may be on the couch now but I get out at least twice a month Sept-June to clean-up after hikers like you...

Mags
08-14-2012, 18:52
Guys keep the bickering to PMs. Settle it among yourselves by PMs. Otherwise, use the IGNORE future to ignore the user who offends you.

thanks

Mountain Mojo
08-14-2012, 21:30
Unfortunately in these parts the local "hunters" run bear. Well their dogs run the bear and tree them for training during hunting (bear) season. So if you hear a bunch of hounds running thru the woods chasing something big. better take cover!