PDA

View Full Version : What is your FAVORITE food on the trail?

Pappa Green Jeans
04-27-2005, 23:44
What kind of food/meals do you like to eat on the trail? What brand? Have you tried prepackaged meals? Mary Janes Farm, Alpine Aire, etc... I am interested!!!:sun

neo
04-27-2005, 23:58
my favorite breakfast is my gourmet oatmeal mix
my favorite supper is my gourmet cous,cous mix
my favorite lunch is what ever:cool: neo

Ridge
04-28-2005, 02:42
My hubby would tell you Heineken (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Heineken&spell=1) , Mine is oatmeal cooked with freezedried apples for breakfast, tang drink. Peanut butter on bread or crackers etc, jerky, apple for lunch. Grilled Rib-eye(frozen the day before) bake potato wrapped at home with alum. foil and cooked in fire coals and homemade cookies with instant milk for desert. If no steak or potatos, then I have some great freeze dried stews and soups I use. hikerwife

chris
04-28-2005, 09:49
A big whole wheat tortilla stuffed with peanut butter, nutella, and two smashed up oatmeal cream pies.

Nean
04-28-2005, 10:03
My favorite meal is dinner and I like to mix 2-3-4 different Liptons together and see what happens. As a hiker, I've never been disappointed and some have actually been fantastic! Must admit the recipe from Chris has me droolin':)

ed bell
04-28-2005, 22:09
My favorite meals to eat while backpacking always involve lots of cookware, fuel, fresh veggies, meat and hungry campmates, but I seldom get to "do it up right". My buddies and I have actually planned a couple of overnights where dinner and breakfast were downright extravagant. Think steak dinner and breakfast buffet.:sun

fiddlehead
04-28-2005, 22:33
My favorite food on the trail is the same as my favorite food off the trail: Thai Food! Rice and Fish with heavy spices and coconut milk which you can find powdered now in almost any Asian grocery store. Unless you are a really big meat eater, i don't see why you have to change your diet out there. Bread, butter, lunchmeat, cheese, p-nut butter and jelly, cinniman (sp?) rolls are my favorite breakfast on or off the trail. Snickers are good anywhere although in the tropics you have a bit more mess. Bacon, eggs, beer, (put the beer in the grocers freezer until your ready to leave and then bury them in your sleeping bag. They'll still be nice and cold 6 hours later when you set up camp for the night. ), chips, pretzels, cheese cake, whatever you want!
Enjoy! fh

RagingHampster
04-28-2005, 22:53
The Cheez-It.

Whole, powdered/crushed, alone, mixed in food, dipped in PB, tossed with nuts, they just satisfy me on the trail for some reason.

chknfngrs
04-29-2005, 10:00
Pine Nutted Cous Cous Wraps

-toasted pine nut cous cous
-parm
-diced onjon and diced tomatos if I have them
-extra pine nuts if I have them

all in a warm tortilla.

Scribe
04-29-2005, 10:30
I have tried the dehydrated "food-in-a-bag" (just add hot or boiling water) with brands of Mountain House, Alpinaire, etc., but found them sorely lacking in taste. They also produce enormous quantities of intestinal gas - which I guess is okay unless you're sleeping in a shelter: your fellow shelter-dwellers may find the constant flatulence to be repugnant. This aspect gives a whole new meaning to "jet boil".

My daily menu is similar to those above:

Breakfast: Coffee (those "single" serving teabag-type thingies), oatmeal with dried bananas or raisins or blueberries or strawberries or something to make it palatable.

Lunch: Whatever. But usually PBJ or crackers/cheese.

Dinner: Noodles/sauce or rice/sauce - with a can or so of tuna.

None of this is particularly appetizing, but it sure goes down well when you've been walking up and down all day. With all the different flavors of noodles and sauce, and with the addition of tuna (either in the pouch or the 8-oz can) it provides enough variety and calories to be almost good. Gas is not a problem.

MDSHiker
04-29-2005, 10:48
My fav meal is supper. At home, I'll dehydrate some canned veggies and hamburger meat. Then while on the trail I'll take a few spoon fulls of each and add it to a lipton dinner. Of course, you gotta top off the meal with a snickers bar.

verber
04-29-2005, 10:54
What kind of food/meals do you like to eat on the trail?
What do I like? When I am not weight conscious I like eating a nice steak or kabob's the first night with couscous and a bit of wine that I carry in a platy. I also have found a number of Indian dishes which work pretty well. I actually like ramen noodles so that is a common dinner or sometimes I take a flavored couscous and add some sort of protein. I mostly grab whatever is in the kitchen before I leave. I always bring a bit of dark (72% cocoa) chocolate - tastes good and doesn't melt easily.

Other food ideas: http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/food.html

jackiebolen
04-29-2005, 13:59
Mmmm...so delightfully salty, so crunchy. I think my body needed the salt and my mental health needed some food that wasn't soft like baby food.

bogey
04-29-2005, 14:59
I'm sure there's something to that, my body defiinitely craves a "crunch factor" on a regular basis, and celery does not satisfy it.

Skyline
04-29-2005, 15:15
Mary Jane's Farms (http://www.maryjanesfarm.com) ROCKS! They're good for you, and the backpacker size meals are filling. You can also add chicken, tuna, or your own dehydrated veggies to their dinners to kick 'em up a notch. More expensive than Lipton's but less expensive than Mountain House and that class of product.

They also have some great deals on bulk foods, and carry snacks, breakfasts, etc. (tho I find their snacks kinda high in price, they're good).

Check it out, and if you're interested, get their magazine. It's more than just merchandise.

icemanat95
04-29-2005, 16:48
I'm not picky at all. On the trail I'll eat just about anything. Mac and cheese works just fine, but if I can get some dried tomato sauce to toss in it, fantastic. If not, stock is good. I don't even need milk or butter in it (though that helps.) Liptons are good as well. A packet of tuna or chicken every once in a while is nice to add some protein. Dried hamburger also works.

For breakfast I can choke down some oatmeal, but only instant and only if it is something other than peaches and cream or maple and brown sugar. Apples and cinnamon is great, so is blueberry and cream, or raisin and spice.

Lunch is whatever I find. Crackers and cheese are good, so are skittles, peanut butter crackers, granola bars, etc. I just sort of graze all day rather than stopping and eating a "lunch."

These days my trips are of shorter duration, a night or two, maybe three on the outside, so freeze-dried becomes a solid option with maybe an MRE entree on the first night for simplicity. I often have one tucked into the pack as emergency food.

A flask of B&B is nice around the fire at night or to spice up the cider.