PDA

View Full Version : 2 bags or 1 with a sleeping liner?

Trickytrout
08-07-2012, 15:41
So as I understand, most Nobo-ers start their hike with a ~20* bag and switch it out for a different one around Virginia, then switch back to the warmer bag around the Whites/Maine. My question: does anyone have experience starting with just one ~30* bag and using a sleeping liner? The liner is supposed to add around 10* of warmth, so instead of buying two bags I would be buying just one and sending the liner home. Any thoughts?

bigcranky
08-07-2012, 17:06
Depends on when you start. I hike a lot in the South in Feb-Mar-Apr, and switch from my winter bag to my 30-F bag around the end of March or so. I'd be very confident in that bag with a 4/15 start, and mostly confident in a 4/1 start, especially with the right clothing.

I'm not a huge bag liner fan - they get twisted up for me and are not comfortable. Not sure about the 10-degree thing, either.

Trickytrout
08-07-2012, 19:35
I'm planning on a 3/25 start. Just trying to figure out if I can get by with one bag.

kayak karl
08-07-2012, 19:48
here is an excel chart on liners somewhere around ? the temp ratings on them were exaggerated by manufacture. have you concidered silk long underware for sleeping?

Papa D
08-07-2012, 20:07
Your thinking is right in saying that "getting by" with one bag is made easier with a liner but that said, you'll be "getting by" - - I might suggest this - - if you are going to thru-hike, you have certain ways to save money and certain fixed expenses - - owning both a winter bag, a summer bag and a liner isn't that big of a deal. Do this:

February: Winter bag and liner
March - Early April: Winter bag (send liner home)
Late April - June Send winter bag home and add summer bag with liner (washed and sent back to you)
Late June Send liner home
August Get liner back
Mid - September Get winter bag back
October Get liner back

bigcranky
08-07-2012, 20:10
Most years a 3/25 start with a good (high quality down) 30-F bag would be fine for me -- but I would have a down jacket, and warm sleeping clothes like my Powerstretch tights and a microfleece pullover along with thick wool socks. And I would still expect a couple of cold nights (I was out one year when it got to single digits in mid-April on the southern AT. But that's really unusual.)

Spokes
08-07-2012, 20:35
Don't underestimate March/April weather in GA/NC. There's usually a couple major winter storms to deal with.

MuddyWaters
08-13-2012, 21:43
OR , have a 1lb summer quilt, and a 30 degree bag.
In cold weather, put the quilt over your bag
In warm weather, use the quilt.