PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Devices on the Trail

LostinAK
08-07-2012, 16:45
I'm planning a through hike for next summer. I'm wondering what do hikers do with charging electronic gear. For instance iPod's, Cell Phones, and Digital Cameras come with batteries that need plug-in charging. Obviously head lamps and such things like that you can carry extra triple AAA's, or maybe put them in your resupply drop box.

I'm an avid photographer and videographer on the trail, so this is a conundrum for me. Do you just carry extra batteries and memory cards? I plan to attempt the trail in under three months, so I probably won't be spending much time in town where recharging is possible. Though I imagine myself sitting down for a burger or beer passing through nearby towns, so maybe I can plug-in and charge up then? I probably won't be carrying an iPod.

bigcranky
08-07-2012, 16:55
Yeah, you pretty much have it. Carry a spare battery or two, and enough memory cards for the trip (or arrange to send them home and swap, though this is less useful for a fast hike.) You'll just need to spend enough time in town to recharge your camera and phone batteries. It's polite to ask first before plugging in at a restaurant or convenience store.

SCRUB HIKER
08-07-2012, 16:59
This has been covered before (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80631-quot-Just-charge-in-town-quot). Consensus is: outlets aren't hard to find in town, but always ask the proprietors first if you can use their outlets for charging. My own rule is that if it's a chain (i.e. McDonald's or Dunkins) or a motel, I don't bother to ask, but if it's a hiker hostel or a mom-and-pop place I do.

What sort of camera will you be using? I used a point-and-shoot digital with a lithium-ion battery, and 30 minutes plugged into its custom charger (1oz, I carried it with me) at a restaurant booth was enough to last it another week or two. Cell phone, I also carried a wall charger and busted it out whenever I could. Never had the least problem with it running low.

Unless you are the weeniest of gram weenies, I would just carry extra memory cards for your camera(s) if you think you'll use up a lot. You could either mail them home or to an East Coast liaison (who could upload the contents and mail them back) or keep them in your bag as they fill up.

Spokes
08-07-2012, 17:08
I found great prices on memory cards for my camera on eBay and ordered a bunch. I mailed them back when full to my transcriber who downloaded the images/videos and made back-up copies before dropping them back in my next maildrop. Worked out great.

As others mentioned finding an outlet in town or even at convienience store or restaurant isn't a problem. Always asked before plugging in out of respect.

Miner
08-07-2012, 22:06
I usually bounce a netbook with an external USB hardrive 1.5 to 3 weeks ahead of me. When I have access to it, I dump the HD video footage (takes alot of flash memory) and photos to the USB harddrive and erase the memory cards. For those of us who have no support at home, this was the best solution I came up with on my '09 PCT hike when I carried a camcorder. It worked well so I'm repeating it on the AT this year.

Josh Calhoun
08-16-2012, 18:22
i carry a solar charger with me. people say there not needed between towns but mine holds 2 full cell phone charges. i take allot of pics, listn to music and txt. so my battery dont last long. i use a solio bolt