PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing the trail

BabySue
08-07-2012, 20:02
Last year I tried to swim the trail. Let's just say that didn't go so well. My next adventure is to burrow under the trail. Questions: would you recommend NOBO or SOBO? How deep should I stay in order to LNT? Any orienteering suggestions that will help me stay in line with the trail without having to surface too often. And finally, does anyone know the recipe for dynamite?

Rasty
08-07-2012, 20:07
Last year I tried to swim the trail. Let's just say that didn't go so well. My next adventure is to burrow under the trail. Questions: would you recommend NOBO or SOBO? How deep should I stay in order to LNT? Any orienteering suggestions that will help me stay in line with the trail without having to surface too often. And finally, does anyone know the recipe for dynamite?

1200# Ammonium Nitrate & 20 Gallons Diesel + 1 Bic Lighter

I live down South so I suggest SOBO

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 20:22
1200# Ammonium Nitrate & 20 Gallons Diesel + 1 Bic Lighter

I live down South so I suggest SOBOThat'd be ANFO, nasty stuff, lotsa punch

What you want is Tri Nitro Toluene, or TNT, for that crack and fracture, technically speaking though....you would be a miner, and not a hiker, we also all just ended up on a watch list. And the really funny thing, is that this isn't the "Humor Forum" as you'll see shortly.......

Rasty
08-07-2012, 20:32
That'd be ANFO, nasty stuff, lotsa punch

What you want is Tri Nitro Toluene, or TNT, for that crack and fracture, technically speaking though....you would be a miner, and not a hiker, we also all just ended up on a watch list. And the really funny thing, is that this isn't the "Humor Forum" as you'll see shortly.......

Do you really think you or I was not already on a watch list? I'm most likely on a few!:eek:

Papa D
08-07-2012, 20:33
This might be considered "fracking"

Lone Wolf
08-07-2012, 20:35
an attempt at humor? christ! don't quit the day job. this is worse than that dumb cafe thread

Rasty
08-07-2012, 20:37
an attempt at humor? christ! don't quit the day job. this is worse than that dumb cafe thread

Not true. The cafe is much worse!

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 20:39
This might be considered "fracking"Right you are "D" and a hot topic these days...Fracking for Natural Gas, and such a new word that my spell check says I've made a mistake in the spelling.....not this time old spell checker....your wrong, and that's why, and that's it......

Lone Wolf
08-07-2012, 20:39

really. PG humor just don't work

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 20:40
I agree, the cafe thread has a life and a ridiculousness all of it's own...

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 20:42
really. PG humor just don't workWhat's really good is the PM's that fly all over the place just after a good S#%$ storm.....

Lone Wolf
08-07-2012, 20:47
What's really good is the PM's that fly all over the place just after a good S#%$ storm.....

i got me a ton from a certain flyin' ace

Rasty
08-07-2012, 21:00
What's really good is the PM's that fly all over the place just after a good S#%$ storm.....

Never seen anything like that.;)

BabySue
08-07-2012, 21:22
Thanks for the intel on explosives. Because they sound way too heavy, I'm now considering a burrowing animal, such as a badger or a family of moles. Are there any Pygmy goat breeds that burrow?

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 21:22
i got me a ton from a certain flyin' aceWell, did ya get shot down?

BigHodag
08-07-2012, 21:41
Um, if you're doing the trail underground, why aren't you using the National Park subway lines? I'd take the Central line from the Great Smokies to Shenandoah and then change to the blue Eastern line and get off at Katahdin, just before the end of the line at Acadia N.P..

Here's the National Park Transit System subway map:
http://pinterest.com/pin/3307399697234952/

Of course, we all understand if you're perhaps a purist and don't tube blaze.

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2012, 21:45

Wait - how much can we get away with since the shut down? The rules are clear - and how is that different from this thread?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/protest.jpg

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 21:47
Thanks for the intel on explosives. Because they sound way too heavy, I'm now considering a burrowing animal, such as a badger or a family of moles. Are there any Pygmy goat breeds that burrow?yeah there's three fella's in the cafe that look like they crawled out of the dirt.

kayak karl
08-07-2012, 21:52

Sarcasm the elf
08-07-2012, 22:04
Oh, that burrowing the trail...

And here I was thinking that I was gonna get to tell some newb that donkeys aren't allowed on the A.T. :p

Sarcasm the elf
08-07-2012, 22:11

I was wondering about that. Whatever happened to her anyway? Still hoping she keeps a journal if she hikes next year, I expect it'll rank up there with GatorGump's.

Red Hat
08-07-2012, 22:14
shouldn't this be in Humor?

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 22:14
..................................Yep, this could be worth a subscription........................

time for me nightly walk, I'll expect a s#!+ storm when I return

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2012, 22:15

And here I was thinking that I was gonna get to tell some newb that donkeys aren't allowed on the A.T. :p

Well we aren't allowed to discuss PG humor on the trail... Ask the Donkey.

http://desktopia.net/wp-content/uploads/walls/thumbs/Shrek-And-Donkey-Shrek-The-Final-Chapter-575x359.jpg

Sarcasm the elf
08-07-2012, 22:16
shouldn't this be in Humor?

You mean it's not?

Sarcasm the elf
08-07-2012, 22:17

http://desktopia.net/wp-content/uploads/walls/thumbs/Shrek-And-Donkey-Shrek-The-Final-Chapter-575x359.jpg

I think I hiked with them for a couple days last year just above DWG.

Rasty
08-07-2012, 22:23

But jackasses are allowed.:D

Rasty
08-07-2012, 22:24

What PG Stand for?

Sarcasm the elf
08-07-2012, 22:28

So you're saying we're safe?

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2012, 22:30
PG? Psychological gynecology - Discovering your a$$ is on fire on the AT.

Hey Spokes ... a rimshot please....

Rasty
08-07-2012, 22:43

So you're saying we're safe?

Until we get eaten by an "Alligator"!

Sarcasm the elf
08-07-2012, 22:46

I'm okay with the Alligator, he's got the thankless job of keeping politics off of this site and I'm grateful that he does that.

Rasty
08-07-2012, 22:48

I'm okay with the Alligator, he's got the thankless job of keeping politics off of this site and I'm grateful that he does that.

I meant that eats our posts when we are bad. Not that he is mean. I guess the post could be interpreted two ways. Sorry Alligator.

Rain Man
08-08-2012, 10:17

Thankless is right. I'm not very thankful that this has been left in "General" instead of moved to the sub-forum "Hiking Humor." :D

Rain:sunMan

Old Hiker
08-08-2012, 11:56
PG? Psychological gynecology - Discovering your a$$ is on fire on the AT.

Hey Spokes ... a rimshot please....

If I recall my old anatomy and physiology classes correctly, gynecology has NOTHING to do with your A@@. And I'm not talking "age", either.

Another Kevin
08-08-2012, 13:48
When I first squinted at the subject line through my trifocals, I misread it as "borrowing the trail." I thought to myself, "what are you using it for when you borrow it, and when do you plan to return it? The strange thing is that the misreading made just as much sense as the correct reading.

WingedMonkey
08-08-2012, 14:23
I suggest you start your burrowing on the trail near Bluemont Virginia. There's a nice little place to state called Mount Weather.

Leave us a forwarding address for your cage at Gitmo.

rocketsocks
08-08-2012, 14:26
I suggest you start your burrowing on the trail near Bluemont Virginia. There's a nice little place to state called Mount Weather.

Leave us a forwarding address for your cage at Gitmo.What is Mount Weather WM?

rocketsocks
08-08-2012, 14:30
What is Mount Weather WM?Never mind, just Googled...now were on that list too, hehe......yeah yeah go dig there...NOT.

BabySue
08-10-2012, 14:11
Sorry to bring this back to the top, but one more quick question: Should I burrow from Amicalola or dig my first access hole at the top of Springer?

Rasty
08-10-2012, 15:10
Sorry to bring this back to the top, but one more quick question: Should I burrow from Amicalola or dig my first access hole at the top of Springer?

Start in the paved parking lot first with one of those orange plastic trowels.

Old Hiker
08-10-2012, 15:25
If you keep deep enough, you will be able to enjoy a constant temp. 65* or so? Should help with gear weight, if nothing else.