PDA

View Full Version : Trail Running Shoes or Hiking Boots?

itbaer999
08-07-2012, 20:19
Hey Everyone,

I plan on starting my thru hike in March of 2013 and I was looking for some advice on footwear.
I was looking at going as light as I can so I have been looking at lots of different trail running shoes.
So far I have come up with either the Montrail Masochist Mid Outdry or the Northface Mens Ultra 106 GTX XCR Trail Runners.
I would love any advice or experience people have had with these shoes or any other recommendations.

Thanks!

Lone Wolf
08-07-2012, 20:30
go with the Montrail Masochists for sure. i wear them daily. MRO in Damascus has them on sale now for $65

Papa D
08-07-2012, 20:32
Trail runners - (unless you are a big heavy person or have some special issues) absolutely without a doubt.

There have been a zillion threads on this topic.

For what it's worth, don't take much advice from outdoor store folks who want to sell you boots and a whole pile of stuff - - the needs of long distance travelers are different and unique.

I repeat, trail runners

leaftye
08-07-2012, 20:48
Trail runners are fine for this big heavy person.

shelb
08-07-2012, 23:57
I tried to pick up a pair of trail runners this summer, but with my wide foot and narrow heel, I couldn't find any to fit right. Any ideas?

PD230SOI
08-08-2012, 05:23
Am I correct that Gore Tex in a trail runner for March to Aug on the AT is a BAD idea? If I remember all Gore Tex does for you in mild weather is keep the wetness in longer.... Winter is a different issue...

moytoy
08-08-2012, 05:30
I tried to pick up a pair of trail runners this summer, but with my wide foot and narrow heel, I couldn't find any to fit right. Any ideas?

Did you try NB? I use them but I don't have fitting issues. However on their website they claim to have different widths for the hard to fit person.

Renee'
08-08-2012, 05:45
I have the Montrail Masochist and love them. They are the non-Gore tex, which I believe they are discontinuing. I just bought another pair from Amazon yesterday. I have the same problem with narrow heal, wide toe-box. The non-Gore tex worked fine in the snow and rain at Mt. Rainier and dried pretty quickly. The only problem I had with them was the laces that come with them are too short, not a big problem.

Blissful
08-08-2012, 12:27
Get fit properly for shoes by a professional. It can save your feet and your hike.

RodentWhisperer
08-08-2012, 13:49
I, too, am going back and forth between boots (Keen Klamath) and shoes (New Balance MT573). I've found both to work well, although the boots have given my ankles and knees better support on descents of significant distance (8-10 miles of downhill).

Still, there is the whole "a pound on your feet is five on your back" mantra... it always gets me to thinking.

Mountaintop
08-08-2012, 14:27

New Balance are fantastic for wide feet.

fredmugs
08-10-2012, 22:30

Merrill Moab Ventilators. You can get them in a wide width.