PDA

View Full Version : umbrella question

foodbag
04-28-2005, 07:46
I wonder if anybody has any suggestions on how to attach an umbrella to an internal frame pack for hands-free use?

I have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack and it seems that it would be nice to walk in the shade on sunny days or be out of the rain during windless downpours.

The handle on the umbrella I have is about 18 inches long.

Thanks, y'all.

MOWGLI
04-28-2005, 08:13
I wonder if anybody has any suggestions on how to attach an umbrella to an internal frame pack for hands-free use?

I have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack and it seems that it would be nice to walk in the shade on sunny days or be out of the rain during windless downpours.

The handle on the umbrella I have is about 18 inches long.

Thanks, y'all.

A couple of things. Considering the trail corridor;

1. You are in shade 95% of the time after mid-May

2. Low hanging branches would probably make this idea more trouble than it's worth.

TDale
04-28-2005, 09:06
Double-sided velcro.

jackiebolen
04-28-2005, 10:51
I used an umbrella for a few hundred miles this past summer and I think that attaching it to your pack may be more trouble than it's worth. Just too many trees and stuff that you have to avoid. I just switched hands back and forth and it was fine. Of course, you can't carry hiking poles.

Footslogger
04-28-2005, 10:59
I don't carry an umbrella but I do hike with the Vapor Trail pack. If I was going to carry an umbrella I would do one of two things: First, I would stick the tip into one of the side pouches and retain it with the upper load compression strap. Second, I would take a twist in the ice axe loop near the bottom of the pack to make it a snug fit and then stick the tip of the umbrella into it. The upper end of the umbrella could be secured with the top horizontal strap near the center back of the pack. The second example is where I put my hiking poles when the terrain makes them more of a liability than an asset (eg ...rock scrambling).

'Slogger
AT 2003

Nean
04-28-2005, 11:55
Drill a hole and stuff it down in there:eek: Old hikin compadre Foxtrot had an umbrella hat that really seemed to work, don't remember where he got it though.

Footslogger
04-28-2005, 12:15
Drill a hole and stuff it down in there:eek: Old hikin compadre Foxtrot had an umbrella hat that really seemed to work, don't remember where he got it though.=====================
I've got a couple of those umbrella hats. Carried one with me for a while on my thru in 2003. Wore it in the hiker parade in Damascus ...came in handy deflecting all those water balloons and super soaker shots.

'Slogger
AT 2003

trippclark
04-28-2005, 13:07
I consider my umbrella nearly essential gear and would not plan a trip without it. It is my most important piece of rain gear (next is gaitors . . . rain jacket and pants are rarely used backups . . . in fact I have not used them in the past 300 miles). I tend to agree with an earlier post that attaching to the pack, while it sounds great, will not really work. Even if you could attach it, there is so much low brush that it would always get in the way. Having it in hand is more maneuverable. When my umbrella is deployed, I go from two trekking poles down to one and alternate which hand carries which item.

Footslogger
04-28-2005, 13:21
When my umbrella is deployed, I go from two trekking poles down to one and alternate which hand carries which item.==================================
Well ...since you mentioned it, there is a combination umbrella trekking pole on the market. Check out this link ...

http://www.backcountryedge.com/products/komperdell/schirmstock.aspx?Affiliate=17

'Slogger

trippclark
04-28-2005, 14:17
==================================
Well ...since you mentioned it, there is a combination umbrella trekking pole on the market. Check out this link ...

http://www.backcountryedge.com/products/komperdell/schirmstock.aspx?Affiliate=17

'Slogger

Yeah, someone beat me to it again. I had this idea three years ago and did nothing with it. I'm sure many others had the idea also.