PDA

View Full Version : Itbs

Frosty
04-28-2005, 09:22
iliotibial band syndrome

You nailed, Walkin Wally.

Last month I didn't know what it stood for. Today I know more than I want to.

The consolation news is that it wasn't completely caused by my over-eargerness (ie, stupidity) and big mileage days to start the trail. It is likely that an imbalance in my hip abductor muscles (arthritis in left hip) had set things up for trouble and it only needed the catalyst of long hiking days.

Good news is that it is a simple task to remedy the problem.

Bad news is that it will take time. I have a couple more weeks of not hiking, then I can start again, but not daily hiking. But by mid-summer the latest I should be good to go.

My decision then will be:

1) to pick up where I left off. Not likely - it'll be a lonely hike from Dicks Creek Gap NOBO in July.

2) find out where the "lump" of thruhikers are, hike with them, and finish the missing part next year.

3) section hike this summer fall and finsih up next year.

I'm looking at the last one. I have about 700-800 miles of trail done, and could finish up the Northeast this summer fall.

Meantime, thanks to everyone for the support and well-wishes. I really felt like a loser coming off the trail, and the comments were nice to hear. Initially I just wanted to slink away and never talk about the trail to anyone ever again. Now I hope to get to Trail Days.

Thanks,

plodder
04-28-2005, 09:40
Can you swim?

Frosty
04-28-2005, 09:48
Can you swim?Like a rock. My legs are all bone and muscle (much like my head) and drag me down. In spite of many lessons, no one has yet been able to get me to float. My legs just drift down until I am vertical in the water. With much thrashing and splashing and expenditure of energy, I can keep my mouth and nose out of the water, at least for a time, and I seem to be able to dog paddle okay. If I push off from the side of a pool I can also breast stroke my way to the other side, though lifeguads who are familiar with me tend to get the long pole ready to deploy as I cross over the deep end.

Nean
04-28-2005, 09:49
Good luck Frosty! I'd be careful about choosing to jump back with the crowd, they will all be in top shape. The worst I ever hurt myself is walking at someone elses pace. You can't hike anywhere on the AT in summertime and be alone and hiking outside the pack can be a wonderful experience.

icemanat95
04-29-2005, 17:58
I've had it and if you don't re-hab right you will keep getting it. STRETCH that sucker out several times a day, especially when you resume activity so while it strengthens it also grows longer and relieves the wear.

walkin' wally
04-30-2005, 19:48
Hi Frosty,

The stretching that my wife does involves standing up and placing one leg in front of the other and gently stretching the back knee sideways. She was given some stretches to do by an orthopedic surgeon she works with. We both also do the calfs, hamstrings and quads before we set off. Ironically she started the pain in her IT band on a fairly flat AT section at the Four Ponds area in Maine.

Good luck, see you on the trail.

Frosty
05-01-2005, 00:16
Hi Frosty,

The stretching that my wife does involves standing up and placing one leg in front of the other and gently stretching the back knee sideways. She was given some stretches to do by an orthopedic surgeon she works with. We both also do the calfs, hamstrings and quads before we set off. Ironically she started the pain in her IT band on a fairly flat AT section at the Four Ponds area in Maine.I do the same basic stretch, but lying down. Start strengthening exercises Monday.

Alligator
05-01-2005, 10:21
Should your PT not suggest it, an exercise I was given to help strengthen the muscles was this:
Stand with your back against the a wall, feet about 6 or so inches from the wall. Take a slightly deflated ball, a kickball works well, and lightly squeeze it between the knees. More of the ball should be in the thigh area. Then slide your back down the wall, until your thighs are almost parallel to the floor. Return to standing. This strengthens the muscles around the kneecap. Of course, check with your PT before trying for suitability for your condition. I'm pretty sure itbs was the diagnosis I was given for my knee problems, which was basically poor tracking of the kneecap in the groove it sits in. Best of luck and don't rush too soon back to the trail.