PDA

View Full Version : Need Single person, double wall help

Fulkrum
08-08-2012, 16:39
Hello Everyone, new member here. Love the site
I am planning on leaving the first week of April, on a NOBO trek. I am searching for a 3 season, single person, double wall tent. Double wall not really because of the condensation factor, I just prefer a tent with inner "walls" around me...we all have our own idiosyncrasies LOL.

Requirements-
3 season
Single person
Double wall
Relatively Light Weight - I am not an ounce counter, but don't want to cary any weight I don't have to. LOL
Free Standing would be nice, but n not a make or break point
Large enough for a six foot tall person to sleep comfortably

I was considering a Nemo Obi 1p but after a poor experience on the phone with there customer service I am now leaning away from it. Sad since I was really liking there tent. I had concerns about it being windy inside of the tent because of the high cut of the back of the fly. If anyone has one of these tents and can comment directly on it, that would be awesome.
I Have looked at the Lightheart Solo, and like it. I am concerned that with the diamond floor pattern, ill end up with my head stuffed into the pointy end of the floor. It also seems to be pretty long, difficult finding campsites for it possibly?
It would be great if anyone with direct experience with tents that meet these requirements could chime in.
Thanks-

pafarmboy
08-08-2012, 18:53
I have a LightHeart Solo in Cuben. Went through a Hubba Hubba, and a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo before trying Lightheart. Won't ever buy another tent as long as this one holds up. Top Notch. You might wanna get the Solong 6 http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=13. I'm 5'9" and if I have all my gear in the Solo with me it feels comfy, but snug.

Franco
08-08-2012, 19:05
Talking about top Notch, you could look at the Tarptent Notch.
That comes with a full mesh inner (can be set up by itself) or a partial fabric inner.
(bottom two thirds in fabric and top in mesh)
It has a dry entry so that you can keep the fly door open when it rains (use the lee side in wind driven rain)
Or you could look at the Double Rainbow. This has its own pole and is an hybrid.
The sides of the inner are mesh the top is single layer , but you can add a "liner" to the top making it in effect a double wall inner.
The DR has a lot of usable space but still much shorter than some.
Franco
(I look after TT in Australia)

ChinMusic
08-08-2012, 19:25
I was considering a Nemo Obi 1p but after a poor experience on the phone with there customer service I am now leaning away from it. Sad since I was really liking there tent. I had concerns about it being windy inside of the tent because of the high cut of the back of the fly. If anyone has one of these tents and can comment directly on it, that would be awesome.

NEMO is an awesome company. Don't let the one phone call affect you. The cut on the fly is NOT an issue. I have a NEMO Losi 3P (similar fly design) and had a Opi 2P briefly, and know first hand.

I Have looked at the Lightheart Solo, and like it. I am concerned that with the diamond floor pattern, ill end up with my head stuffed into the pointy end of the floor. It also seems to be pretty long, difficult finding campsites for it possibly?
It would be great if anyone with direct experience with tents that meet these requirements could chime in.
Thanks-

I have one of these too. This is my go-to tent for the AT. It is not free-standing but really only needs two stakes in a pinch. The poles hold the shape in the middle. It IS a long tent and I have concerns myself for the tent platforms in the Whites. Those concerns are not a deal-breaker for me.

How tall are you? I am 5-10 and have plenty of room for myself and my gear.

Just Jack
08-08-2012, 20:07
I have a Big Agnes SeedHouse 2 for sale. Used it on the AT. Really enjoyed its space and comfort--
especially when I got caught in bad weather. It is just about bulletproof. I like your thinking. I started
with a single wall and condensation and lack of room caused me to trade up. The tent weighs 3 pounds
and 6 ounces. BA footprint is included which weighs 6.5 ounces. Price is $200 shipped.

Old Hiker
08-08-2012, 20:16
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

It fits me, but I don't think I'll have problems finding a campsite.

Good luck on your hike next year !!

Fulkrum
08-08-2012, 20:48
Thanks everyone for the fast reply's.
I see Lightheart has a strong following. :P I really like there product just haven't decided if its the one for me.
Franco - I was under the impression that the Tarp Tent designs use a "Bath tub" type floor, with mesh attached to that. I am looking for a tent that has non-mesh material attached to the "bath tub".... If that material turns into mesh higher up I can live with that. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting the pictures an vids I've seen/watched of there designs?
Chinmusic - I am Just under six feet tall so you would suggest a Solong over the Solo? That's unfortunate as one of the things I liked about the Lightheart Solo was the 3500 mm Hydrostatic head sil-nylon it uses vs.. the 2500? used in the Solong .
Just Jack - That's a decent price on your tent... At this time I am looking for a single person tent, if that changes I will be sure to let you know, thanks.
Old Hiker - Thanks for the encouragement! Appreciate your input on the Lightheart product.

chiefiepoo
08-08-2012, 21:47
Big Agness Seedhouse 2 is indeed a two person, double wall but at 28sf it is a cozy 2 person. I'm in my 5th season with mine now. In May I was in the scottish moors and endured a night set up in the open with sustained 20 to 35 mph winds gusting to 52 mph. It rocked and rolled but held its' own. I believe the extra space fits my needs so I'm happy to carry and extra pound of tent. $200 is a great price for s slightly used tent.

ChinMusic
08-08-2012, 22:35
Chinmusic - I am Just under six feet tall so you would suggest a Solong over the Solo? That's unfortunate as one of the things I liked about the Lightheart Solo was the 3500 mm Hydrostatic head sil-nylon it uses vs.. the 2500? used in the Solong.

If I were in the market right now I would have the same question. Cuben would be my choice in either case. Sil floor would be my choice in either case. I also rec the awning.

FamilyGuy
08-09-2012, 01:37
Thanks everyone for the fast reply's.
I see Lightheart has a strong following. :P I really like there product just haven't decided if its the one for me.
Franco - I was under the impression that the Tarp Tent designs use a "Bath tub" type floor, with mesh attached to that. I am looking for a tent that has non-mesh material attached to the "bath tub".... If that material turns into mesh higher up I can live with that. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting the pictures an vids I've seen/watched of there designs?
Chinmusic - I am Just under six feet tall so you would suggest a Solong over the Solo? That's unfortunate as one of the things I liked about the Lightheart Solo was the 3500 mm Hydrostatic head sil-nylon it uses vs.. the 2500? used in the Solong .
Just Jack - That's a decent price on your tent... At this time I am looking for a single person tent, if that changes I will be sure to let you know, thanks.
Old Hiker - Thanks for the encouragement! Appreciate your input on the Lightheart product.

The Notch is available with one of two inner tents. One having primarily mesh and the other with breathable fabric and mesh, which is what you appear to be looking for. The Notch is a true double walled shelter where the inner is completely separate from the outer fly, unlike the Lightheart. I am 6'2" , 215 lbs and fit with length and width to spare.

SCRUB HIKER
08-09-2012, 02:20
An MSR Carbon Reflex 1 (http://www.rei.com/product/810034/msr-carbon-reflex-1-tent) fits your criteria very well. It's what I used on the AT. I was able to find it on sale for $280, although it's more normally in the $400 range. The second night I was on the trail, this storm system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_4%E2%80%935,_2011_derecho_and_tornado_outbre ak) blew through, and I stayed totally dry--it held up through other rain and wind too, but that second night was the worst I experienced, and it's how I knew I had a winner tent.

With a footprint, mine is about 2lb, 14oz, which is on the light end of true double-wall tents. It's got stupid amounts of room inside--I keep all kinds of crap down by my feet when I'm sleeping in it (I'm 5'10"). It's tall enough to sit fully upright or crouch in. Basically, if you're in a position to front the money for it (or, better yet, if you can find it on sale ... my find was through backcountrygear.com), it's almost the perfect tent based on what you've specified. The only downside is that it's not freestanding. I pitched it successfully on a concrete tent pad once, using a lot of help from nearby trees and rocks, but I have also failed twice at other points attempting something similar.

Fulkrum
08-09-2012, 02:55
Thanks for the reply's
ChinMusic - I agree but am trying to keep prices somewhat within reason. LOL Cuben unfortunately just isn't in the budget.
FamilyGuy - Some of the Tarp Tent designs are interesting. My understanding is that Tarp Tent tent's use sil-nylon with a relatively low Hydrostatic head number. This leads to the possibility in certain conditions of rain being driven through the tent causing "misting" inside the tent. The "fix" is to do some type of DIY "waterproofing" treatment. I find it ridiculous that the consumer after paying what I consider good money for a tent, is expected to waterproof it themselves. It's not a deal breaker but it also don't make me want to run out an buy a Tarp Tent. All that being said the pictures on their web site of the fabric inner available on some of their tents don't really show the fabric inner very well. I didn't realize that some of their tents might fit my criteria.
I'm not trying to bad mouth Tarp Tent I know they have a large following of happy customers. I don't want to piss anyone off. LOL The "misting" issue may be something that some people never encounter.
Scrub Hiker - Awesome to hear of your experience with the carbon reflex. It is one of the tents on my "finalists" list LOL
These are the tents that I have found so far that seem to fill my criteria.
Nemo Obi 1p
MSR Carbon Reflex
Lightheart Solo
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1
Im probably forgetting one or two, but it's late. lol
Unfortunately no REI stores here in Florida to go check them out in person. If anyone can think of any tent that should be on this list, or a reason why one of these shouldn't be on the list chime in. :P
Thanks for all the help.

Blissful
08-09-2012, 08:10
Seen a lot of the BA fly creek out there with thru hikers. I use a hubba myself.

Not Sunshine
08-09-2012, 09:47
The Notch is available with one of two inner tents. One having primarily mesh and the other with breathable fabric and mesh, which is what you appear to be looking for. The Notch is a true double walled shelter where the inner is completely separate from the outer fly, unlike the Lightheart. I am 6'2" , 215 lbs and fit with length and width to spare.

I love all this positive feedback on the notch. I ordered mine 2 days ago. I sat down and compared the weight/size/features, and decided the notch + tyvec would be best. I went with the original - screen, bathtub floor. Total including shipping was $283. Can't wait to get it in the mail and sleep in the back yard!!!!

FamilyGuy
08-09-2012, 11:29
Thanks for the reply's
ChinMusic - I agree but am trying to keep prices somewhat within reason. LOL Cuben unfortunately just isn't in the budget.
FamilyGuy - Some of the Tarp Tent designs are interesting. My understanding is that Tarp Tent tent's use sil-nylon with a relatively low Hydrostatic head number. This leads to the possibility in certain conditions of rain being driven through the tent causing "misting" inside the tent. The "fix" is to do some type of DIY "waterproofing" treatment. I find it ridiculous that the consumer after paying what I consider good money for a tent, is expected to waterproof it themselves. It's not a deal breaker but it also don't make me want to run out an buy a Tarp Tent. All that being said the pictures on their web site of the fabric inner available on some of their tents don't really show the fabric inner very well. I didn't realize that some of their tents might fit my criteria.
I'm not trying to bad mouth Tarp Tent I know they have a large following of happy customers. I don't want to piss anyone off. LOL The "misting" issue may be something that some people never encounter.
Scrub Hiker - Awesome to hear of your experience with the carbon reflex. It is one of the tents on my "finalists" list LOL
These are the tents that I have found so far that seem to fill my criteria.
Nemo Obi 1p
MSR Carbon Reflex
Lightheart Solo
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1
Im probably forgetting one or two, but it's late. lol
Unfortunately no REI stores here in Florida to go check them out in person. If anyone can think of any tent that should be on this list, or a reason why one of these shouldn't be on the list chime in. :P
Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately misting can happen even with a pu coated fly. The Tarptents have a HH head of about 1500mm and the floors about 3500mm ( not widely known), which is functionally waterproof. Most misting goes unnoticed and is assumed to be light condensation so you will not get wet. If the fly is wet and it is raining, you can unclip the inner then and pack it away dry. Then you can disassemble the fly and pack it away wet. I camp in the high Canadian Rockies and the Notch has not let me down yet. And you might be amazed at how hard the rain falls at 11,000 feet. Did I mention that I camped in snow last weekend? Awesome stuff.

Did I also mention that the Notch is made entirely in the USA?

FamilyGuy
08-09-2012, 11:32
Oh, and you do know that the Lightheart is sil nylon, right? And that the Big Agnes tents you mention have a lower waterproofness than say, the Notch...right?

Fulkrum
08-09-2012, 11:58
FamilGuy - Appreciate all your input, it really helps in making a decision, thank you.
The lightheart solo produced in china uses 3500mm sil-nylon through out.
Yes I understand the Big Agnes tents use a lower Hydrostatic head sil-nylon...but there also double walled...one of my initial requirements. If you look at the inner on say the Big Agnes Fly Creek or Copper Spur...see how far the fabric comes up the sides before it turns into mesh? That is one of the features I am looking for in a tent.
I know it sounds like I'm down on Tarp Tent from this thread but that actually isn't the case. I think they have some excellent designs, and have heard nothing but good things about its owners and their customer service etc. The tarp tent Notch, Moment, and Rainbow are all on my second tier list. Tents that become a choice, if I can't find a tent that exactly fits my initial criteria.

FamilyGuy
08-09-2012, 12:38
FamilGuy - Appreciate all your input, it really helps in making a decision, thank you.
The lightheart solo produced in china uses 35T00mm sil-nylon through out.
Yes I understand the Big Agnes tents use a lower Hydrostatic head sil-nylon...but there also double walled...one of my initial requirements. If you look at the inner on say the Big Agnes Fly Creek or Copper Spur...see how far the fabric comes up the sides before it turns into mesh? That is one of the features I am looking for in a tent.
I know it sounds like I'm down on Tarp Tent from this thread but that actually isn't the case. I think they have some excellent designs, and have heard nothing but good things about its owners and their customer service etc. The tarp tent Notch, Moment, and Rainbow are all on my second tier list. Tents that become a choice, if I can't find a tent that exactly fits my initial criteria.

The Notch is double walled, just like the other options. As said earlier, you can get the Notch with a fabric inner that should solve any concerns. I often trek with a floorless shelter so I am not sure your fear of rain - the fly is your number one defence.

The bathtub floor on my Notch is 4" which is the same as the Hubba and Nemo (at the sides). For what it is worth, you will get more condensation on the higher bath tub floor than a lower one as the higher level of non breathable fabric will set the dew point. It is one of the criticisms of the Nemo Obi tents (foot and head end), the revised Hubba, and the Copper Spur. What you should be looking for is a level of breathable fabric to block the wind and possible rain splashes.

Regardless, if you want a true double walled tent, the Obi, Hubba, and the two BA's you mentioned are so similar that it really is a flip of the coin. Similar weight, side entry, similar pole set up, waterproofness, etc. Personally, between these I would get the cheapest one.

ChinMusic
08-09-2012, 12:45
The lightheart solo produced in china uses 3500mm sil-nylon through out. I remember Judy saying the Chinese sil had better specs.

Oh, with regards to the LHS not being a "true" double wall because it is attached at the peak. This is NOT a negative. It is a POSITIVE. Everything is lined up when you pull it out of your pack. Set up in the rain is as pleasant as it gets. If the weather is clear, just roll it up to the peak and you got total mesh. Should the weather surprise you it would be easy to unroll it. IMO, it is far superior to the "true" double walls.

FamilyGuy
08-09-2012, 12:50
The Notch inner is attached to the outer so the whole thing goes up in one shot. Or, you can unclip as required.

Fulkrum
08-09-2012, 14:15
FamilyGuy - You've got me looking into Tarp Tents aging. LOL. You have recommended the Notch, would you also recommend the Scarp 1? The layout appeals to me more. Possibly the Moment? I'd prefer a tent that docent use Hiking poles to set it up.
The conversation kind of slipped into condensation and misting but as I said in my first post I also just prefer not to have the mesh start at the bath tub. In an ideal world I'd like solid material about 18" - 24" or so up from the bath tub, then screen.

FamilyGuy
08-09-2012, 22:42
I haven't used the Scarp but it is considered a 3+ season in standard form and a 4 season shelter with the crossing poles. If I didn't use trekking poles, this is definitely the tent I would get. Two vestibules, two doors, fabric inner (option), loads of room and usable volume, and great performance in the wind (according to Chris Townsend).

I highly recommend you give Henry Shires a call. He should be able to steer you in the right direction.

ChinMusic
08-09-2012, 22:54
I'd prefer a tent that docent use Hiking poles to set it up.

Well, that was an important piece on information. Why were you looking at the LHS then? If you hike sans poles..........

Fulkrum
08-09-2012, 23:20
ChinMusic - A Tent that doesn't use hiking poles for support is a preference, not a deal breaker. I'm sorry I didn't mention it earlier. Honestly I'm embarrassed to say I missed the line saying the Lightheart used hiking poles.
FamilyGuy - The Scarp defiantly looks interesting. Seems very roomy. The more I read the more I start to lean in the Scarps direction.

Old Hiker
08-10-2012, 15:06
ChinMusic - A Tent that doesn't use hiking poles for support is a preference, not a deal breaker. I'm sorry I didn't mention it earlier. Honestly I'm embarrassed to say I missed the line saying the Lightheart used hiking poles.
FamilyGuy - The Scarp defiantly looks interesting. Seems very roomy. The more I read the more I start to lean in the Scarps direction.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=5&zenid=52cf0fe293c7ffeba333fbd9c08a215d

I'm looking into getting these or seeing if I can make my own. I don't really like trekking poles - they seem flimsy to me.

ChinMusic
08-10-2012, 15:12
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=5&zenid=52cf0fe293c7ffeba333fbd9c08a215d

I'm looking into getting these or seeing if I can make my own. I don't really like trekking poles - they seem flimsy to me.
If you are saying the trekking poles are flimsy, that is not the case. Trekking poles are more than strong enough for the job. If you are saying the tent poles are flimsy, I can say that the trekking poles are stronger are stronger than the substitutes.

Old Hiker
08-10-2012, 15:21
If you are saying the trekking poles are flimsy, that is not the case. Trekking poles are more than strong enough for the job. If you are saying the tent poles are flimsy, I can say that the trekking poles are stronger are stronger than the substitutes.

Weeelllll, it's a rainy Friday, my left hand has a bad cut so I can't grab anything to work with - let the argument ensue !!!

Nah - it just seems if I put my 200 pounds on a pole instead of my hoe handle or natural wood stick, the pole bends. I'm afraid it'll bend in two or snap instead of supporting my weight like my staves do.

Nuthin' personal - just preference. I may have to go to poles with the SoLong 6 - I'm really trying to cut weight and adding 8.5 ozs after shedding 1 lb 14 ozs just ain't right!! :eek:

ChinMusic
08-10-2012, 17:00
Nah - it just seems if I put my 200 pounds on a pole instead of my hoe handle or natural wood stick, the pole bends. I'm afraid it'll bend in two or snap instead of supporting my weight like my staves do.

There are plenty of 200+ers out there successfully using poles. I would bet the 200+ crowd uses them MORE than the sub 200s.

But, I'm sure, with a bit of selective whittling, a stick would serve as a pole as well............

Franco
08-10-2012, 18:36
There are poles and there are poles...
The advantage of using adjustable trekking poles with a shelter is just that : they can be adjusted.
That allows you (with most but not all) to re-tension the tent from the inside without having to go out to re-stake or pull guylines in.
The other point is that most of the trekking pole supported shelter work best within a certain range , for example 43-45" , that may not be the height of your stave or fixed pole.
But if trekking poles are not used , than a lot of the weight advantage is lost compared to poled shelters.
My take is that more attention should be paid on how a shelter works for oneself, it isn't all about weight , concentrate on design features that work for you not for someone else.
Franco

Old Hiker
08-10-2012, 18:52
Ah, Franco, now you are just making sense - post 29. I'm pretty sure that has NO place on WhiteBlaze !!

Chin, no doubt - post 28. All comes down to personal preferences.

Cozy
08-11-2012, 17:02
If you are in the central Florida area, go to Travel Country in Altamonte Springs. They have several tents that they'll set up for you and you can go in and try them for size. They have 3 or more guys who thru hiked the AT and other trails so they are knowledgable.

I personally have the MSR Nook tent. It's advertised as a lightweight 2 person backcountry tent but it's really more like a 1.5 person tent. Double wall, great headroom, freestanding, 3 season, and enough room for 6'+ guy. Quality tent that withstood a thunderstorm on the AT. Good luck.

FamilyGuy
08-13-2012, 14:31
There are plenty of 200+ers out there successfully using poles. I would bet the 200+ crowd uses them MORE than the sub 200s.

But, I'm sure, with a bit of selective whittling, a stick would serve as a pole as well............

Indeed! 215lbs and can put full weight on my BD poles.