PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Hang during Georgia section hike

Schooley
08-08-2012, 18:47
We are section hiking from Deep Gap in NC to Amicalola Falls in GA in early October. I am an experience confident backpacker; but a first time hammock hanger. I have set up and slept in the hammock several times but am a curious about taking the WBBB out on a week long section hike with no backup plan. Can you easily hang along the AT throughout Georgia? Any advice?

Buffalo Skipper
08-08-2012, 19:26
As I understand it, this area is very easy to hang. Just make sure you have some insulation underneath. I will be hanging with 5 friends just north of there (south of GSMNP) on a 6 day section the last week of September. We will have fun, as I am sure you will, too.

gunner76
08-08-2012, 19:38
Yes. I hike a few days down there in July using my hammock. Lots of places to hang. Stoped to talk to some tenters who asked what kind of tent I used and I told them I use a hammock. One of the tenters, said wow, you must have a problem finding a place to set up your hammock. I looked around at all the trees and with a straight face I said yes and continued on my hike.

bigcranky
08-08-2012, 19:46
Plenty of spots to hang in GA. Be prepared for chilly nights with some sort of insulation under you.

kayak karl
08-08-2012, 20:14
do you have a single or double layer? what type of under insulation will you be using?

Schooley
08-08-2012, 23:07
I have a double layer hammock and a full length under quilt. Thank You!

kayak karl
08-08-2012, 23:19
you should be fine. make sure your underquilt suspension is tight and all should go good. you will have no problem finding spots, but if there are tenters with you you may have to walk farther for them :)

BOHICA
08-12-2012, 02:47
Trees Glore! Thats the beauty of hammocking, no flat perfect ground needed. Enjoy. You'll be fine, just have that footend higher than the headend, works for me.