PDA

View Full Version : Bear canisters

Mad Hatter
08-08-2012, 21:55
I know that this isn't really an AT subject, but I am hiking in the Dacks and want to know what does one do with a bear canister, hang it, leave it on the ground stick it in a fellow hikers tent. Would like to know as I have not used one before and it is all new to me.

Rasty
08-09-2012, 09:05
If its the black Garcia place it upside down in a low spot so it doesn't get kicked down hill by a bear. Do not place near water you will never find it. The bears in the High Peaks are really good, make sure everything is in the canister. The clear Bearvault brand can't be used in the Daks because the bears can open them. Where are you planning to go?

Mad Hatter
08-14-2012, 19:11
I'm doing the Northville-Placid trail.

Lando11
08-14-2012, 19:23
northville placid trail you arent required to use bear canisters, only in the easterm high peaks area between 4/1 and 11/30. i am planning (hoping) to thru it it this fall as well and have no intention of using a bear canister.
adk.org should fill you in with any other questions you have with their policy

Snowleopard
08-14-2012, 19:48
adk.org recommends bear canisters in all of the Adirondacks.
http://www.adk.org/trails/High_Peaks_Hike-Backpack.aspx#Bears You might give either the ADK mountain club or the rangers a call to see what they recommend.
The Duck Hole area used to have pretty bad bear problems. I don't know how it is now.
I did a hiked part of the NPT from the Santanonis to Duck Hole along the Cold River and loved it (years ago).

Berserker
08-15-2012, 12:14
If its the black Garcia place it upside down in a low spot so it doesn't get kicked down hill by a bear. Do not place near water you will never find it.
Yeah, what he said. You just set it on the forest floor a little ways out from camp. Make sure to place it in a low lying spot so that it can't be rolled down a hill, into a stream, etc.

Deadeye
08-15-2012, 14:25
I always try to put mine in with old, downed trees, If a bear wants to spend some time trying to break in, the logs & stumps keep it from rolling far. Frankly, don't know if it works or not... in many years of packing a bear can, it's always been right where I left it when I get up in the morning. Same goes for when I cache food for a few weeks - the can is right where I hid it.

juma
08-15-2012, 15:53
I like to put it in a bush and hedge if possible or a cluster of brush. like the other folks, I've never had one touched.