PDA

View Full Version : Post op advice needed after Hernia repair

English Stu
08-09-2012, 05:55
A week ago I had a keyhole inguinal hernia repair and would appreciate any advice, or suitable website for info, on a regime to return to hiking fitness. I will be talking to my doctor but he might just shake his head when I say I want to backpack a few hundred miles.
I am 67 usually fit weigh 147lbs. Ex Marathoner,Triathlete and 1000mls on the AT and would like to return sometime. I already go light weight with a base weight of 13lb, I could get that down to 11lb if I return to the Tarp and ditch the Teva camp shoes

Hikes in Rain
08-09-2012, 06:11
Take it slowly at first. I like to run to stay in shape, but when I tried it a bit too soon, I could feel things were still "loose" in there. Best way I can describe it. The mesh they use to seal you up needs to be assimilated into your muscle system before you try anything too strenuous. If your experience is anything like mine, the pain has already shown you that! After a little while (three or four weeks? My memory is a bit hazy on time), your doctor will clear you for strenuous activity, and after that, recovery time is a matter of pain tolerance as the scar tissue stretches and breaks up. Just grit your teeth and go for it after that. With your background, you should recover quickly.

But slowly at first, to let it heal. Listen to what your surgeon says; after all, you're paying for an expert's opinion. Take his advice.

Blissful
08-09-2012, 08:07
Any major sugery you need to give at least 6 weeks to heal. Even then it could be longer.

kayak karl
08-09-2012, 08:42
concider getting advice from a professional in the Orthopaedics Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation field. they understand the mental need to get back at it :)

English Stu
08-09-2012, 08:44
Thanks guys
To help any others, so far from various web sources I get ;
Ist week rest
wks 2-4 short walks and some stretching
wks 4-6 slowly regain strength.Cycling and swimming useful i.e less load bearing
9 weeks for scar hardening to go.
No serious exercise for 4 months,stop anytime if any pain.
I see my doctor tomorrow I will see what they say.

Water Rat
08-09-2012, 08:44
A week after your surgery, you should be cleared for normal walking. No heavy lifting for 2-4 weeks after inguinal hernia surgery. I'll bet your doctor told you to start walking 24-48 hrs after the surgery. Walking is very important for the healing process. Just do not overdo it. I would start with short, flat walks. Take it easy and listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, you will know you are trying to do too much. If you have outright pain, then either shorten the distance, or call your doctor.

I had an emergency inguinal hernia repair (yes, gals get them too!). The good thing was I felt immediately better after the surgery. The bad thing was I wanted to do too much right away. Take it slow and you will get back to normal hiking so much faster.

Good luck with your hike!

Lyle
08-09-2012, 09:15
I didn't have inguinal hernia surgery, but had an umbilical hernia repair. The doctor originally said 6 weeks of no strenuous activity, turned into 8 weeks, then only as tolerated. This extension was due to being a Paramedic and doing fairly heavy (sometimes REAL heavy) lifting. I was concerned for quite some time because of persistent discharge from the surgical incision, but when the doctor was questioned, his best advice was on how to clean it out of my navel efficiently, he was not at all concerned about the continuing discharge. It did eventually stop, and all is perfectly well now, no concerns at all, but it did take about a full year to get to what I considered 100%.

I would agree with most others, and take it easy at first, doesn't mean no exercise, but I would not ignore your pain just because your doctor cleared you. Pain is there for a reason. With your background, you are probably good at ignoring a certain level of pain, and that's good, but I would guard against overdoing it until you honestly feel you are 100%. As the doc pointed out to me, if he needs to go back in for another repair because you tear something, the results are typically less satisfactory and takes longer.

Good luck.

rocketsocks
07-09-2014, 10:43
I was told not to lift anything heavy for 6-8 weeks...ugh!

...a funny observation for me is...what use to be a round shallow naval (innie) is now a square deep cavernous abyss one, it just looks funny to me LOL. I'll spare ya'll the pictures...Maybe...I'm just not there yet :D

Shutterbug
07-09-2014, 12:12
A week ago I had a keyhole inguinal hernia repair and would appreciate any advice, or suitable website for info, on a regime to return to hiking fitness. I will be talking to my doctor but he might just shake his head when I say I want to backpack a few hundred miles.
I am 67 usually fit weigh 147lbs. Ex Marathoner,Triathlete and 1000mls on the AT and would like to return sometime. I already go light weight with a base weight of 13lb, I could get that down to 11lb if I return to the Tarp and ditch the Teva camp shoes

I guess everyone is different. I had the same surgery about 10 years ago. I took it easy for the first two weeks, then resumed normal activity. I avoided lifting really heavy objects, but started back walking. I don't remember exactly, but it was probably six weeks before I was wearing a back pack.

My advice is to be sensitive to your body. If something causes pain, avoid it. If not, press on.

jefals
02-06-2019, 13:31
This is a pretty old thread. I think I may be facing this inguinal hernia surgery, and wondering how some of you folks that had this years ago are doing now. There are some pretty scary youtubes out there regarding these mesh implants.
I haven't even seen my doc yet, but I'm pretty sure he’s gonna tell me this is what I have. Not sure if there will be other surgical options besides the mesh. I know some folks just wear these belts and live with it. I have the belt now and gonna try hiking with it for the first time maybe tomorrow. I don't see the doc for 2 more weeks...

devoidapop
02-06-2019, 14:36
I had 2 umbilical hernias repaired with mesh last February. I had discomfort from the mesh for about 6 months after the surgery. I was worried that I was just going to have to live with it, but it has gone away now.

jefals
02-06-2019, 15:27
I had 2 umbilical hernias repaired with mesh last February. I had discomfort from the mesh for about 6 months after the surgery. I was worried that I was just going to have to live with it, but it has gone away now.
Have you done any strenuous hiking / backpacking since?

stephanD
02-06-2019, 15:41
My advice: (1) what ever you lift (following you MD's authorization), use your knees, that is, keep your back straight and bend your knees, using your upper leg muscles. And (2) avoid being constipated. Easier said then done when hiking, though.

jefals
02-06-2019, 15:53
My advice: (1) what ever you lift (following you MD's authorization), use your knees, that is, keep your back straight and bend your knees, using your upper leg muscles. And (2) avoid being constipated. Easier said then done when hiking, though.
Yes, I always lift that way, anyway. I don't know about diet. Stay away from Mtn. House type stuff I guess...

devoidapop
02-06-2019, 16:40
Have you done any strenuous hiking / backpacking since?

I did an overnight trip to Hump Mountain about a month and a half after the surgery. That was way too soon. I was winded and extremely sore. I took about 3 months off hiking after that. When I got back to it in the summer I was fine.

jefals
02-06-2019, 17:02
I did an overnight trip to Hump Mountain about a month and a half after the surgery. That was way too soon. I was winded and extremely sore. I took about 3 months off hiking after that. When I got back to it in the summer I was fine.
Ok. Thanks for the info...

moldy
02-06-2019, 17:03
It was a bright and sunny day. Somewhere in the middle of Franconia Ridge. The old guy was in some pain. His hernia wound from his surgery 6 months earlier had started to open. He was not bleeding but it was bulging and hurt like hell. I was able to help him with the goofy wide strap with a pad I had made to combat a rubbing back pack issue. Me and his wife secured this wide belt around his middle tight enough so he could at least walk out of there. So if you go hiking you should bring along, just in case, some sort of strap that is wide enough and fits so you won't end up walking on your entrails.

Slumgum
02-06-2019, 18:32
I think I may be facing this inguinal hernia surgery, and wondering how some of you folks that had this years ago are doing now. There are some pretty scary youtubes out there regarding these mesh implants.

US Senator Rand Paul announced in January that he was going to Canada for hernia repair surgery. The hospital is called Shouldice and hernia repairs are all they do. The only time they work with "mesh" is to remove it! The success rate of their work speaks for itself. I first heard of Shouldice when a logger who was working for me went there for a hernia repair. He was back on the job in less than two weeks.
I know where I would go if I had a hernia and the repair would not involve mesh.

jefals
02-06-2019, 19:23
US Senator Rand Paul announced in January that he was going to Canada for hernia repair surgery. The hospital is called Shouldice and hernia repairs are all they do. The only time they work with "mesh" is to remove it! The success rate of their work speaks for itself. I first heard of Shouldice when a logger who was working for me went there for a hernia repair. He was back on the job in less than two weeks.
I know where I would go if I had a hernia and the repair would not involve mesh.
Great! Good info. My first question is why on earth do you have to go to Canada for this?

devoidapop
02-06-2019, 19:50
I was given the choice between larthroscopic mesh repair or open surgery with suture repair. if you are concerned about surgical mesh, it's not the only option in the US.

jefals
02-06-2019, 20:53
yes, reading more about it now. Interesting (and scary) reading. The non-mesh folks are saying the mesh is favored by docs who don't know the more complicated non-mesh operations, or who perform a small number of hernia repairs. The mesh docs say non-mesh involves sewing together tissues that are not naturally joined together, plus are often weak so they may later tear out. FDA says lots of the mesh problems have been with products no longer in use.
Either way is SCARY!
I wonder what kind of repair "the Rock" had. I want to wind up more like the Rock than Rand Paul. ?

Slumgum
02-06-2019, 21:04
My first question is why on earth do you have to go to Canada for this?

Yeah. I know. And the US has the "best" health care system in the world?

You will have to pay out of pocket at Shouldice. Something like 5K. If you weigh too much they will not work on you. But with congressional health insurance Rand Paul (a physician by training) could have gone anywhere in the US for the surgical repair at little or no cost to him. He wanted the best, though.

AJamesOfAllTrades
02-06-2019, 22:42
I had inguinal hernia repair at Shouldice 25 years ago and highly recommended them. My father and brother also had repairs there. We all recovered quickly and none of us have had issues. My current doctor first heard about Shouldice in medical school and said that while others try to replicate their method that none have achieved the same success rate for non-recurrence. They get you moving again quickly. Only my first meal (lunch) after surgery was in bed. For every meal afterwards I had to walk down the hall, down the stairs, and into the dining room. Group exercises were held twice each day. The grounds are nice for walking around. I believe I was discharged on the third day. They said that if I ever needed the hernia repaired again that they would do it for free.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jefals
02-06-2019, 22:50
Good to know. I'm reading, tho, that you need to be thin for the Shouldice method. That lets me out!

stephanD
02-07-2019, 09:45
Yeah. I know. And the US has the "best" health care system in the world?

You will have to pay out of pocket at Shouldice. Something like 5K. If you weigh too much they will not work on you. But with congressional health insurance Rand Paul (a physician by training) could have gone anywhere in the US for the surgical repair at little or no cost to him. He wanted the best, though.
For him, the best. But screw everybody else.

Patrickjd9
02-07-2019, 22:22
I had an inguinal hernia repair with mesh in 1996, and have never had occasion to think about it until hearing about mesh on the news recently. If the surgeon hadn't told me he was using it, I'd have had no idea it was there.

I take this to mean that the operation worked.

jefals
02-08-2019, 09:40
I had an inguinal hernia repair with mesh in 1996, and have never had occasion to think about it until hearing about mesh on the news recently. If the surgeon hadn't told me he was using it, I'd have had no idea it was there.

I take this to mean that the operation worked.
Great news! Glad you're doing good and I appreciate your response This is the kind of story I'm hoping to get, cause youtube is loaded with nightmares about the mesh. Then there are also nightmares about the non-mesh, where whatever they sew together eventually tears apart... Either way it's scary, but I think most cases likely turn out like yours.

Patrickjd9
02-14-2019, 21:25
Great news! Glad you're doing good and I appreciate your response This is the kind of story I'm hoping to get, cause youtube is loaded with nightmares about the mesh. Then there are also nightmares about the non-mesh, where whatever they sew together eventually tears apart... Either way it's scary, but I think most cases likely turn out like yours.

My issue was returning to a physically active job too quickly, just under two weeks. Though I remember it more as fatigue than surgical pain.

Glad I could help, and good luck with your decision.

LucyInColor
02-14-2019, 22:11
I had an umbilical hernia repaired without mesh three years ago & was back at my physically demanding job in two weeks. I did less lifting & pulling for about a month. I had a small hernia. It felt huge to me but they said it was small. I requested no mesh because I read about people with auto immune problems from mesh. My surgery was pretty easy; 12 minutes of anesthesia, no pain meds needed after, and one day in bed. I walked two miles on sidewalks the next day and was back to 5-7 miles a day in about a week. I had a perfect looking belly button before surgery but now I have a frownie. I'm the only one who notices or cares about that. I've heard that it takes about one month for your body to clear out every 15 minutes of anesthesia. Post surgical grogginess & not feeling completely like you can last a while.

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2019, 22:59
Had an inguinal hernia repair done in 2012 with mesh. Went home same day after surgery. Took two weeks off work, but probably could have gone back after the first week. Stayed in bed other than bathroom trips first day. First few days was pretty tender getting up and down from bed and chairs, trying not to use muscles in that area. Was up and going stir crazy by the second week. Walked approximately 1 mile each day at week two through week four, noticeable of repair, but not uncomfortable. By week six was back to normal. No problems 7 years later.