PDA

View Full Version : "Extinct" Ivory-billed Woodpecker found

weary
04-28-2005, 14:28
A fascinating account of the discovery of the bird in an Arkansas wildlife refuge.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4622633

Another reason for protecting land. No one know what one may find, 50, 100 years from now.

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Weary

rickb
04-28-2005, 18:00
I'll believe that when the purists of the birding world confirm things. Let's hope it really is true.

Could get interesting down there if it is.

TakeABreak
04-28-2005, 20:18
I saw th report on CNN this evening, I think it was really great.

reminds of seeing a red wolf in the smokies in december of 1999, when I told the park rangers, they NO! All of the one that re-released have been accounted for, they all dead. Guess they did not take in account that they put them to breed and re-populate. I am just waiting for someone to take a picture of it, to confirm what i saw.

Ridge
04-29-2005, 01:30
My hubby and I both are bird watchers, years ago he canoed/camped in/around the okefenokee swamp for weeks, just wishing to see an Ivory-billed WP after (what I considered) a questionable siting of one. I can't wait to tell him, I've emailed him several accounts of it, including the one Weary posted. Thanks Weary for letting everyone know. I still find it so hard to believe. hikerwife

littlelaurel59
04-29-2005, 09:24
What's more unbelievable than rediscovering the Ivory-billed woodpecker? Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton has been quoted as saying the Bush administration has proposed $10 million for habitat preservation/ species recovery. That's more than confirmation; that's miraculous!!!

There are more things out there we know little or nothing about. All the more reason to protect and preserve our blue wet sphere.

Newb
04-29-2005, 11:33
Umm. I saw a big woodpecker here in Alexandria that looked exactly like that bird just last year. I couldn't find it in my Audobon guide.

MOWGLI
05-01-2005, 23:32
Umm. I saw a big woodpecker here in Alexandria that looked exactly like that bird just last year. I couldn't find it in my Audobon guide.

That would be a Pileated Woodpecker. They are common along the AT.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 00:50
They paint animals don't they. Could be someone wants to sell a lot of land that surrounds the reserve!!! A good makeup artist and a pileated woodpecker is as close as the phone/woods. You never know. hikerwife

Tim Rich
05-02-2005, 11:29
A friend of mine works for the Fish & Wildlife Service, and they're bracing themselves for the rush of birders to the refuge. Birders from as far away as Japan are already there trying to catch a glimpse of the Ivory Billed.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 11:39
A friend of mine works for the Fish & Wildlife Service, and they're bracing themselves for the rush of birders to the refuge. Birders from as far away as Japan are already there trying to catch a glimpse of the Ivory Billed.Alot of wear and tear to the area and to other wildlife will no doubt happen. The people in charge will probably have trouble trying to regulate the unexpected rush they will encounter. hikerwife

RockyTrail
05-02-2005, 13:54
Maybe Mr.Redford will make a movie about finding the Ivory-billed woodpecker, that will really get'em squeezin' in there!:)

Dances with Mice
05-02-2005, 14:03
Great. Soon there'll be an Ivory Bill hunting season and bag limit.

TDale
05-02-2005, 14:32
Do they taste better than pileateds?

Colter
10-06-2005, 01:14
There are a lot of good points made by a skeptic on this blog. (http://tomnelson.blogspot.com/2005/09/ivory-bill-skeptic-home.html)

I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking on the topic, and I'm afraid that the Cornell team DIDN'T see any ivory-bills.

Have you seen the video? It's really bad, only four seconds long, out-of-focus and highly pixilated. And the sightings by the team were mostly distant and brief. Nobody got a good enough look to even see the famous ivory-colored bill. Since the big report came out it's been disclosed that were abnormally plumaged Pileated woodpeckers in the area of the search. "Ivory-bill" sightings usually turn out to be Pileated woodpeckers, and I'm afraid the same mistake was made again. As a matter of fact the top Ivory-bill expert in the world, Dr. Jerome Jackson, thinks the bird in the video is a Pileated woodpecker.

It seems very unlikely that they could have seen that "Ivory-bill" several times, and yet not get one photograph of it. As a matter of fact there hasn't been a convincing photo of an Ivory-bill taken by anyone for over 60 years!

I hope there ARE living Ivory-bills, but I'm afraid we're all going to be disappointed.

Seeker
10-07-2005, 00:56
Do they taste better than pileateds?
no, worse... more like a red cockaded woodpecker.... but i personally prefer spotted owl, with a sauce made from ginsing and snail darter... LOL

kyhipo
10-07-2005, 08:49
Thats just cool :banana and my my favorite cartoon woodywood pecker would just be jeaulous,ky