PDA

View Full Version : Travel With Backpack

smokedog
04-28-2005, 15:32
I am leaving on Grayhound Saturday bound for Pearisburg, VA. Have any of you traveled by bus with your pack? Can you carry it on board? What to do with the trecking poles? I use a Gregory Z pack that weighs about 27 lbs.

Mags
04-28-2005, 15:44
I am leaving on Grayhound Saturday bound for Pearisburg, VA. Have any of you traveled by bus with your pack? Can you carry it on board? What to do with the trecking poles? I use a Gregory Z pack that weighs about 27 lbs.

Here's what I have done:

If you are like most people, your poles can collapse. Collapse them!

Next, go to the ARmy/Navy store and buy a surplus duffle bag for ~$20.

Stash your poles and pack in this bag. The bag is nearly indestructable. Can even lock the bag. Your gear will be protected quite nicely from the rough handling that can occur on a Greyhound route.

At Pearisburg, mail it ahead to ahead to the end of your section hike. If it is extended section hike of say more than 2-3 weeks, mail it home. Have some kind person mail it ahead for you. At your section hike pull out point, grab duffle bag. Stuff it again. Go home.

Works for me.

Used this setup for a bus ride and flying.

Nean
04-28-2005, 15:47
Depends on the driver, how full the bus is and how big your pack is. You might be able to stuff it overhead. If your pack does have to ride underneath I'd use an eagle eye at stops to make sure it didn't start walkin before you did. Last time I took the bus the driver was good about checking the baggage claim #'s but I'd still watch it.

RockyTrail
04-28-2005, 15:49
I've traveled by bus and plane on the same trip with this gear.
The bus is a lot friendlier than the plane; in fact the driver may let you set your pack in the cargo bay yourself. The plane is another story, but the prep was the same for me.

I put the trekking poles in a 4 inch dia heavy mailing tube, taped the ends, and labeled it well. It survived the airline baggage hold treatment. The stiff tube protected the poles from bending when they throw Aunt Bessie's steamer trunk on top of it. :datz You pick it up on the oversize baggage carosel with all the snowskis, etc.

I put my pack in a 42 x 30 heavyweight nylon laundry bag the type with a drawstring that you can find in regular dept stores or Army surplus stores have them. Didn't cost much, worked well and kept straps etc from getting caught on things.

Nean
04-28-2005, 15:51
I had a mesh dufflebag- works great for protecting your gear

FFTorched
04-28-2005, 16:09
I took a pack on a bus once, I didn't have trekking poles so I didn't have that problem, I just let them put it under with the rest of the cargo and watched when they stopped and let people off. I don't know if you have an change overs or what not. Usually people don't give you a second thought. Just bury your fuel deep in your bag if a driver gets curious and glances in. I had no problems though.